Health coverage

The Governement of Saskatchewan's  Health Plan provides basic hospital and medical health coverage to residents of Saskatchewan at no charge. If you arrive directly from your home country coverage starts the day  you arrive in Saskatchewan.

health It is advised to obtain travel health insurance to avoid costly health expenses if you get sick during your travel to Saskatoon.

To receive coverage you should register as soon as possible with Saskatchewan Health Registration (S.H.R.).

Apply for Your Saskatchewan Health Card

Eligibility requirements for you
  • have a valid study permit
  • provide proof of a registered, full-time status at the University Of Saskatchewan
  • have a Saskatchewan residence address
Eligibility for your spouse and children
  • be living with you at a Saskatchewan residence
  • have immigration documents allowing them to stay longer than six months (visitor record)
  • proof of living at a Saskatchewan residence

If you are travelling from another province where you have lived for longer than 90 days you will be eligible for Saskatchewan Health coverage after three months of setting up a residence in Saskatoon, using these same requirements. If the health plan of the province you are leaving does not cover health cost during this 3 month period you should ensure that you have private health insurance coverage.


Application Process:

Please apply at “Health Services Card Application" (complete on-line or paper based)

Include with your application copies of the following documents for you and each family member (if applicable):  (see acceptable documents listed on application)

  1. ONE immigration document (study permit, permanent resident card, Canadian Immigration identification Card, etc.)
  2. ONE proof of Saskatchewan residency (lease agreement, utility bill, etc.)
  3. Confirmation of Enrolment letter (download from your PAWS account)
  4. Copy of photo page of passport

Mailing address:
Health Registration Branch
100 - 1942 Hamilton Street
Regina, Saskatchewan, S4P 4W2

Toll free number:  1-800-667-7551 (SK only) 

When your application is approved, each person on the application will receive a Health Services Card. This card is needed when seeing a doctor.

For more information about this health coverage, please refer to the Government of Saskatchewan’s website.

Student Health and Dental Plan

As a full-time University of Saskatchewan student, you pay for a Health & Dental Plan provided through your student association (the USSU for undergraduate students and the GSA for graduate students). You are automatically charged for the plans in September of every year through your student fees. The plans fill the gaps left by provincial health care. You must have basic medical coverage (Saskatchewan Health Plan) in order to be eligible to make a claim on the extended health coverage.

If you are already covered by another extended health and/or dental plan may you opt out of the health plan, the dental plan, or both and receive a credit to your student account. There is an opt-out period for each term. You may enroll your spouse or children (under 21 years of age, or 25 if they are still attending school) in the health and/or dental plans by paying an additional family coverage fee.

For more details about your Plan benefits, visit, call 933-0093 or 1-877-795-4428, or visit the Health & Dental Plan Office on campus: Main Level, Room 121, Place Riel Student Centre.

Exchange Students

If your program is under 6 months and you have not applied for a study permit, you should apply for health insurance in your home country prior to you leaving for Canada.

It is advised  that you try to get a study permit even if your  program is under 6 months. You can apply for a study permit at the Canadian embassy or consulate in your country and  include a letter that explains why you are applying. The letter will inform the visa officer that you understand your options.

Top of page