immigration, study permits, visas

Your immigration documents

Study Permit and Visa

As a student who is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, you must obtain a study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to study in Canada for more than six months. You should consider applying for a study permit even if you are planning to study for less than six months (i.e. inbound exchange students).

Presentations from CIC and SINP
Date: Friday, May 9, 2014
Time: 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm
Location: Room 241, Arts Building
The University of Saskatchewan and the International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) is pleased to welcome representatives from the Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) as they provide information on the programs related to their field.
Please RSVP for this event by email:

apply study permit Apply for your study permit as soon as you receive a letter of acceptance into a program from the University of Saskatchewan. It can take up to three to six months to complete the application process.

Benefits to Having a Study Permit

  • You can work on campus at the college or university at which you are registered as a full-time student.
  • You can renew your study permit within Canada, if you decide to continue studying in Canada. Original study permits are only issued at Canadian visa offices outside Canada.
  • You are eligible to apply for Saskatchewan health coverage if you are registered full-time student at the University of Saskatchewan.

What You Need to Get a Study Permit

importantAs an international student avoid delays in Study Permit processing

  • Citizenship and Immigration Canada has introduced new regulations for International Students that will take effect on June 1, 2014. For more information, click here.
  • For more information on applying for a study permit, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration website.

(Always check with your local visa office for country specific requirements)

  • original acceptance letter from the University of Saskatchewan;
  • a valid passport (if it is going to expire before the end of your studies see if it is possible for you to renew or extend it);
  • evidence of enough money to pay for tuition* and living costs, transportation costs to and from Canada for yourself and any family members coming to Canada with you;
  • to satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies;
  • you must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary;
  • other visitor requirements found on the local visa office website. A personal interview with the visa officer may be required;
  • if you are applying for a study permit to study less than six months, you should include a letter that explains why you are applying. The letter will inform the visa officer that you understand your options.
  •  processing fee of $125.00.

* Some visa offices require estimated costs  and/or evidence of  paying tuition to the University of Saskatchewan, follow Guidelines for depositing money to the University of Saskatchewan for this purpose.

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada

Depending on your citizenship, you may be required to have a visa, called a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada. If you are applying for a study or work permit and require a TRV, it is not necessary to make a separate application or pay a separate fee; an officer will issue it at the same time as the documentation necessary for your entry to Canada as a student.  Designated countries  that require a TRV.

us citizens Citizens of the  United States of America can apply for a study permit at a Canadian port of entry. Carry the required documents with you.

Study permit approval: Letter of Introduction

If your application is approved the Canadian visa office will send you a letter of introduction confirming the approval of your study permit. This letter is not your study permit. When you arrive in Canada, you must show this letter to a Canadian officer at the port of entry. If you are from a country for which Canada requires a Temporary Residence Visa (TRV,) it will be placed in your passport. Check the dates issued on this document. You must enter Canada before your TRV expires.

Extension of the time needed to stay in Canada to complete your studies can be made when you are in Canada.

Transferring to the University of Saskatchewan

If you are presently a high school student studying in Canada you must apply to change the conditions on your study permit to allow you to study at a post secondary institution (university, college, technical institute).

If you hold a valid study permit for post-secondary study in Canada (university, college, technical institute), you may use it at the University of Saskatchewan unless otherwise noted on the study permit. As a post-secondary student, you can transfer between programs of study and institutions without applying to change the conditions of your study permit. You can also transfer between public and private institutions.

For more information on changing the conditions of or extending your study permit, please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Exchange Students

In your preparation to come to study at the University of Saskatchewan, there are three very important things to consider and do in your planning:

  1. Consider requesting a study permit from your local visa office. There are many benefits to getting a study permit, including being able to receive Saskatchewan Health Coverage, work on campus and possability to stay beyond 6 months to study if opportunity to do so.
  2. If you don’t apply for a study permit, make sure you get health insurance before you leave your country. Purchasing private health insurance in Canada can be very expensive.
  3. Contact for help with registering for your courses using the University of Saskatchewan’s online registration system.

Problems with Getting a Study Permit

Visa officers look at many factors when reviewing applications for a study permit and entry (Temporary Resident Visa) to Canada as a genuine temporary resident. They consider the purpose of the visit and your ties to your home country, including the family and economic situation.  If your application has been refused, you can send a new application at any time, unless your decision letter says otherwise.  However, you should do so only if you can include new or additional information that you did not send with your previous application.  Contact your local visa office and/or, follow the information provided in the refusal letter you received from that office.

Bringing Your Family

If you wish for your spouse/common law partner and children to accompany you to Canada while you study at the University of Saskatchewan, they are advised to apply for visitor status at the same time that you apply.

Your spouse or common law partner and your children must meet all the immigration requirements for temporary resident in Canada. You may be required to provide birth certificates and marriage certificates for all family members.

If you are in a common-law relationship and your common-law partner will accompany you to Canada, you may be required to complete Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409).

At the Port of Entry

  • Carry these items and all other valuable papers, cash and traveller’s cheques with you at all times. Do not put them in your checked luggage.
  • Do not leave the airport without having your study permit processed,
  • Check that your family name and first name are spelled exactly as they are on your passport,
  • Verify that your date of birth and gender are correct,
  • Make sure the officer returns your documents and date stamps your passport.

When you arrive at Canadian Immigration at the port of entry (i.e. airport in Canada), you will be issued your study permit and may be asked for the following documents:

  • the letter of introduction from the visa office that you received when your study permit was approved (this letter contains your permit reference number and the officer needs this letter to issue your study permit)
  • your passport, with Canadian visa (Temporary Resident Visa) if required;
  • copy of your acceptance letter from the University of Saskatchewan;
  • a list of any items that you are sending separately (i.e. not cleared personally on your date of arrival); and
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada
Top of page