Arrival and Settlement

 Find accommodation
Book a temporary accommodation prior to your arrival in Saskatoon.

When to Arrive

If you are not able to make use of the online registration system from your home country, we encourage you to arrive about two weeks before classes begin to complete registration procedures.

If you are planning on looking for off campus housing, it is best to arrive two weeks to a month before classes begin.  It is recommended that you  reserve a minimum of one week of temporary accommodation in advance of your arrival, so that you will have a place to stay while you arrange your permanent housing.  Some short-term housing close to the university is only available until mid-August (see accommodations).

University office hours:
University office hours:  Monday – Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm;  
Closed Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.

Late arrivals: Usually, you are not able to register for classes after two weeks into the beginning of the term. Always check with your supervisor (graduate students)/International Admissions Office (undergraduate students) for advice on arriving after classes have started.

Arriving in Saskatoon

By Air

You will have to arrange a connecting flight to Saskatoon from Vancouver, Toronto or Calgary. Airlines that service Saskatoon from major Canadian Cities are AirCanada and Westjet, and from some cities in the United States are Delta/North West Airlines and United Airlines.

By Train

VIA Rail Canada can connect you from many Canadian cities to Saskatoon.

By Bus

Greyhound Bus takes three days to travel to Saskatoon from Toronto, and two days from Vancouver.

Make sure to have Canadian money with you for your transportation and living expenses for your first month in Saskatoon. The university and all major hotels are easily reached from the airport, bus depot and train station by taxi. The fare for transportation to the university and to most hotels is approximately CAD $25.00.

If you need help or assistance prior to your arrival, please contact ISSAC.

Airport Pick-up Service

For a fee, the University of Saskatchewan Language Centre provides a service to meet you at the airport and bring you to your accommodation. If you would like to learn more about this service or make an airport pick up request, please contact julissa.castillo@usask.ca

Free Transportation Upon Arrival

Upon arrival in Saskatoon, ISSAC can provide transportation to international students who are beginning their studies at the University of Saskatchewan. A taxi will take you from the airport, train station or bus depot to your pre-arranged accommodation. To access this service, please submit the online request form 2 weeks prior to your arrival in Saskatoon.

Formrequest transportation  

NSID  Your University NSID is required to access this form. An NSID is issued to: undergrad students in your letter of acceptance, graduate students after you contact the College of Graduate Studies and Research with acceptance of your admission.  

ISSAC Settlement Support

Soon after your arrival, be sure to visit ISSAC to get help with:

  • Housing, banking, phones, etc
  • Health coverage (bring your passport)
  • Orientation registration (if you have not done so before you come to Saskatoon)
  • Student cards
  • Study and work permits and regulations
  • ISSAC programs and services
  • Government of Canada, taxes

Newcomer Information Centre

The Newcomer Information Centre (NIC) is committed to supporting newcomers arriving in Saskatoon and surrounding communities, by providing information, English Language Assessment testing (CLBPT) and referrals to appropriate community resources.

Newcomer Information Centre
106-129 3rd Avenue North, Saskatoon, SK S7K 2H4
Tel: 1-306-343-8303
E-mail: info.nic@sasktel.net

Apply for Your Saskatchewan Health Card

When you arrive in Saskatoon and have a permanent residence, you should immediately apply for your Saskatchewan Health card.

Driving In Saskatchewan

If you want to drive while you are in Saskatchewan, we recommend you get an International Driving Permit before you come. An International Driving Permit is a special license which allows you to drive internationally, when accompanied by your valid driver’s license from your country. As an international student, you may also use your valid driver’s license from your country as a license to drive in Saskatchewan, if you get the license translated to English. There is more information on this in the section on Driving in Saskatchewan.

Top of page