- Step 1. Know Your Registration Status and Access Date
- Step 2. Know Your Registration Deadlines
- Step 3. Know and plan for your program’s degree requirements
- Step 4. Search for Classes and create your class schedule
- Step 5. Register
- Step 6. Registration Changes
Check to make sure you are eligible to register
Log into PAWS, Select Registration, Select Check Your Registration Status
The following must be checked off before you are able to register:
- Hold(s) – financial and/or admissions
- Academic Standing
- Student Status
Find your Registration Access Date
Your registration access date is the day you can start online registration and is determined by your college. Registration for both Fall (September) and Winter (January) terms begins in June. You can view your access date in PAWS. If your date appears to be incorrect, please contact your college.
Know the deadlines for making registration changes to classes to avoid financial or academic penalty.
Use the Course and Program Catalogue
Use the Course and Program Catalogue to make sure the classes you select are appropriate to your program, including:
- the number of credit units needed to obtain your degree or certificate
- required classes needed to obtain your degree or certificate
- the sequence in which classes are taken to meet any prerequisite requirements (prerequisites means prior completion of certain specified classes.)
Descriptions of classes offered are also available in the catalogue. Note that the Course and Program Catalogue does not replace the need to meet with an academic advisor to verify your program requirements.
Meet with an Academic Advisor
It is strongly recommended that you obtain Academic Advising from your department or college as early as possible. You can work with a representative of your college to develop an educational plan that fits your abilities, interests, personal circumstances and career goals.
- Degree Works can be used to map your degree progress.
- Open Courseware can be used to look up past syllabi.
- Mon/Wed/ Fri classes are 50 minutes, Tues/Thurs classes are 1 hour and 20 minutes and evening classes are 2 hours and 50 minutes.
- Six credit unit classes extend over both terms
- check class locations to make sure you’ll have time to travel to your next class.
- Don’t forget to schedule labs and tutorials, where required along with lectures.
In order to increase your chances of getting the classes you need create your schedule prior to your registration access date and create a back-up schedule or prepare a list of back-up classes in case a class you planned to take is already full.
- Class Schedule Worksheet
(make sure to record the CRN, section number, dates and times of the classes and any labs, tutorials, and seminars if applicable)
- Seats in full classes may become available as students drop classes. You have until the Deadline for Registration Changes to add classes.
- Six credit unit classes are typically scheduled over both terms and once you register in the Fall Term you are automatically registered in the Winter Term.
- Some classes require you to register in specific labs and/or tutorials at the same time you register for the class lecture.
Have your completed Class Schedule Worksheet ready!
- Log into the Registration channel in PAWS
- Select Add/Drop Classes
- Select the term you want to register in
- Enter the CRNs for the classes you want to add and click Submit Changes.
- The Add/Drop Classes page will be displayed again. Scroll to the bottom of the page to view all added classes and/or registration error messages.
- If you are registering for Fall Term 1 (Sep-Dec), you should also register for Winter Term 2 (Jan-Apr) to ensure you get the classes you need.
Remember: If you decide not to attend the University after registering for classes or stop attending classes you are responsible for making sure you officially drop all classes before the Registration Deadlines in order to avoid academic/financial penalties. Read more about Student Responsiblities.
Before the Deadline for Registration Changes
You can add and drop classes up until the Deadline for Registration Changes (grades will not be affected if dropped by this date and all related tuition and fees will be refunded).
Adding: Follow Step 5
- Select Add/Drop Classes
- Select the term you want to withdraw your class in (Note multi-term classes need to be dropped in Term 1)
- Select drop from class/withdraw from class in the action menu for the class you want to withdraw
- Submit changes - ensure your classes were withdrawn successfully before logging out
After the Deadline for Registration Changes
- Learn more about adding and dropping classes after the Deadline for Registration Changes