The interview is perhaps the most important step in the job search process so thorough preparation is key. The interview:
- Helps you determine if you are right for the opportunity and if the opportunity is right for you
- Gives you a chance to ask questions about the organization/company and position
- Is usually part of the employment, admission, promotion, and volunteer recruitment process
Do interviews give you the jitters? InterviewTalks give you a chance to meet with one of our friendly staff and join a group of your peers to:
- Discuss tips for how to ace the interview
- Answer questions you may have
- Practice answering interview questions
- Learn from others’ experiences
If you have little experience interviewing, have not interviewed recently or are nervous about the interviewing process, a Mock Interview can help. Interviewing can be daunting, but like any other skill, the only way to become better is to learn the basics, prepare, and then practice. Please note that you will need to attend an InterviewTalk prior to booking a Mock Interview.
If you would like to book an Mock Interview between May and August, please contact the Student Employment and Career Centre at 306-966-5003, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online Interview Prep
Interview Prep helps prepare you for even the toughest of interviews with real-to-life, multi-media interview scenarios that were developed by seasoned employment professionals. Listen to the pros as they explain how to respond to different types of questions, and use your webcam and microphone to record and replay your answers.
Commonly asked questions
What should I bring to the interview?
How early should I arrive to my interview?
Arrive at least 10-15 minutes prior to the interview. Be sure to factor in time to find the place if you have not been there before, as well as time for parking and for freshening up. Being early reflects your interest.
What should I do after my interview?
- Analyze the interview - What were your strengths and what are the areas that need improvement? What questions did you find difficult? This will help you prepare for future interviews.
- Follow up with the employer to send a thank you note or email within 48 hours.
- Check the status once the timeframe they provided you with has lapsed.
How can the SECC help me with my interview skills?
- Interview Guide- Provides you with a quick overview and key tips needed to prepare for the interview.
- InterviewTalks- Group session facilitated by one of our friendly staff members to help you learn the keys to succeeding in interviews. You will also have the opportunity to practice questions and use the techniques taught in the session.
- Mock Interview- 30 minute one-on-one simulation of an interview with one of our friendly staff members.
- Online Interview Prep- Allows you to respond to mock questions, record and replay your answers, and receive coaching tips.
Does the SECC have a list of sample questions to help me prepare?
Yes we do! See the list of sample questions.
What steps should I take to prepare for my interview?
What is non-verbal communication and how can I ensure I use it to my advantage?
- CollegeJournal reports that, "Body language comprises 55% of the force of any response, whereas the verbal content only provides 7%, and paralanguage, or the intonation -- pauses and sighs given when answering -- represents 38% of the emphasis."
- Dress appropriately and pay attention to personal grooming
- Smile - be friendly
- Firm handshake - shows confidence
- Maintain eye contact - this makes you appear trustworthy and confident
- Good posture - sit up straight, don’t slouch
- Using too many hand gestures can be distracting
Why do they ask behavioural based questions and how best can I prepare for those?
Behavioural based interviewing is based on the premise that future performance is best predicted by past behavior. Practice these “tell me about a time when…” or “give me an example of a time when…” interview questions and thinking about examples of past situations you have experienced is the best way to prepare for these. Check out our sample behavioral based questions.