U of S Student Travel Award
The purpose of this fund is to provide financial assistance to full-time undergraduate and graduate students who will be participating in a conference, seminar, competition or extra-curricular (not for credit) activities off campus. If you are planning to participate in an academic study abroad course or program, please submit a Global Engagement Scholarship application instead.
Applications must be submitted no later than one month before the start date of the planned activity and they will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Only complete applications will be accepted. Students are eligible to receive one Student Travel Award every 12 months.
Please note that ISSAC will now only accept online applications completed through the application portal.
Canada Learning Initiative in China
Are you interested in studying in China?
Check out the heavily subsidized study abroad opportunities available through the Canada Learning Initiative in China (CLIC).
$1000 Global Engagement Scholarships
Would you like to gain international experience as a U of S student? Undergraduate and graduate U of S students are eligible for a $1000 Global Engagement Scholarship to help offset costs related to studying abroad. Eligiblity criteria includes:
- Students must be enrolled in a degree program before and during travel.
- Only academic study abroad programs and activities will be considered.
- Students must receive U of S or transfer credit from their study abroad experience or demonstrate that the activities have significant learning outcomes beneficial to their studies.
- Students are eligible for one scholarship per academic year.
- Scholarships are not granted retroactively.
- Scholarships will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis to eligible students until funds for the year have been exhausted.
- Maximum duration of travel is one academic year.
All U of S students who have been selected to go on Student Exchange are automatically eligible for a Global Engagement Scholarship. If you are an exchange student for the 2017-2018 or 2018-2019 academic year, please submit your application before your departure. You may apply for the scholarship as soon as you have been approved to your host institution.
Canada 150 undergraduate scholarships
In celebration of Canada's 150 birthday, we are offering 12 $3000 scholarships to undergraduate students who study abroad in the 2017-2018 academic year. Four awards are available to students studying abroad in spring/summer 2017, Fall Term 1, 2017 and Winter Term 2, 2018.
The purpose of these awards is to support students who take part in study abroad activities (outside of Canada) that fall under one or more of the following Canada 150 themes:
- Environmental studies or academic programs that benefit a local community abroad,
- Academic programs abroad that promote intercultural understanding,
- For credit study abroad specifically in China, Brazil, India, Mexico, Vietnam or Ecuador,
- Academic programs or studies that have a strong Indigenous dimension and
- Academic programs or studies outside of Canada that allow students to gain new knowledge and skills that they may not be able to acquire on campus
- Continuing full-time undergraduate students in degree programs who have successfully completed at least one year of study at the U of S
- Applicants must participate in a study abroad program, course, research or other academic activity in the 2017-2018 academic year
- The duration of travel must be at least 2 weeks and up to one academic year
Submit the following documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline. Please send all the required documents together as an application package.
- A cover letter stating how your planned travel is related to the Canada 150 themes and how studying abroad will benefit you academically
- A copy of your transcript (unofficial)
- A letter from a faculty or a staff member in your college supporting your application (The letter can be provided directly to the student to be included in the application package).
- August 15, 2017 for travel in Term 1
- December 15, 2017 for travel in Term 2
Only successful applicants will be notified. Notifications will be done by email and/or phone. Recipients of Canada 150 scholarships will have the opportunity to share their study abroad experience with the campus community and could be interviewed, videoed and/or asked to share photos of their international experience.
College Specific Awards
Gail Appel Global Citizenship Award - This award is designed to recognize one U of S student enrolled in any college for a high academic achievement while exemplifying the qualities of global citizenship within or outside the university. The value of this annual award is $1,000.
Agriculture and Bioresources
The Gillian Hughes Memorial Travel Fellowship to financially assist upper year undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture specializing in an area of plant sciences to study abroad for at least one term at an established university in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or elsewhere in Europe.
The Frank Sosulski Memorial Travel Award Fund to assist graduate students in Agriculture and Bioresources to participate in regional, national or international conferences or projects.
Arts and Science
- James Barney Smyth International Study Abroad Award - two annual application deadlines
- Gail Appel Fund for Study Abroad - two annual application deadlines
- Maureen Rever-DuWors Biology Studies Travel Award
- Joseph Zlacky Scholarship
- McEwen Fund for Study Abroad
- John Russell Kowalchuk Awards in Ukrainian Studies
College of Medicine
- Global Health Research and Travel Awards (open to undergraduate and graduate students): Financial support for faculty, residents, graduate and undergraduate students for their research and learning experiences in developing countries.
- The H.B (Bruno) Schiefer Student Travel Award (open to graduate students): For Toxicology graduate students who are registered full-time with the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Must be presenting research findings from the U of S toxicology grad work at scientific meetings.
- Graduate Students Post Doctoral Fellow Conference Travel Awards: For graduate students presenting at conferences.
Edwards School of Business
Go Global Awards (Hanlon Centre): The Hanlon Centre offers "GoGlobal Student Subsidies" to help Edwards students participate in international business education and experiential learning opportunities.
Government of Canada Funding
The Canadian Government provides different funding sources for students to take their education abroad. Find out more by visiting the following websites:
Funding open to graduate students:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Funding Guide for Students
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Funding Opportunities
- Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships Program
Tri-agency funding information (joint NSERC-SSHRC-CIHR programs) (open to graduate students and post-graduate fellows):
Other External Funding
- CasaSwap - Student Grant Program
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP)
- Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)– Financial assistance for studies abroad
- Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute -- Travel Awards for Senior Level PhD Students
- Entomological Society of Saskatchewan -- Travel Award
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award for undergraduate and graduate research in Brazil, China, France, India, Mexico and Tunisia and Mitacs-JSPS Internship awards to support graduate research in Japan in 2017.
- Mitacs Elevate for postdoctoral projects
Region-specific international research grants:
Country Specific Funding
|Iceland||The Iceland Travel and Study Award - Open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the U of S. One award of $2,000.|
|Korea||Foreign Government Awards - Korea|
|Mexico||Canada-Mexico Awards for Canadians|
|Norway||High North Fellowship Program|
|Switzerland||ThinkSwiss Research Scholarships|
|United Kingdom||The BUTEX Student Scholarships|