Washington Center Internships and the University of Saskatchewan
The Washington Center for Internships and Academic Seminars is a non-profit educational institution headquartered in Washington, D.C. It provides undergraduates, graduate students and professionals with internship opportunities located mainly in Washington, D.C., and in selected cities abroad. The internship program consists of a work experience tailored to the student's interest and academic coursework.
The Washington Center is located in one of the global epicentres of politics, business and international diplomacy and maintains ties to more than 1000 organizations offering intern placement. These internships prepare students for all types of careers in the public and private sector, in nearly every profession.
Students who are accepted into The Washington Center Program will be provided with internships working for government agencies, businesses or NGOs in Washington. They will also take an academic course from the Washington Center. Students will register in 9 or 15 credit units of pre-selected University of Saskatchewan courses within the program, depending on when they choose to go, which may be used toward the completion of all Arts & Science degrees. Students must submit their Washington Center Portfolio (prepared during their time in Washington) and material from their academic course taken at the Washington Centre upon completion of the program in order to receive credit.
Who Can Apply:
Students are eligible to be accepted to the program if they will have completed a minimum of 60 credit units of university level courses, including 6 senior credit units in at least one of ANTH, ECON, GEOG, POLS, PSY, or SOC, prior to the Washington Center term. All U of S students may apply.
There is an on-line application form is available from the Washington Center website. The online application should be completed, BUT NOT SUBMITTED, until after its adjudication by the Washington Center selection committee in the College of Arts and Science. http://www.twc.edu/internships/learn-more/application.
The application form must be completed, printed and submitted to the selection committee with the following items:
- A résumé that clearly outlines your educational, volunteer, leadership and work experience
- A Statement of Professional Interest (100 words) that describes the types of activities you would like to be involved with during the internship and how they relate to your career goals
- An Issues Essay (500 words) that discusses one issue related to the area in which you wish to work. This is not meant to be a research paper, but it should show you have some background knowledge and interest in the topic
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty. These letters should be in a sealed envelope with the signature of the faculty member across the seal. (form available online)
- An unofficial copy of your University of Saskatchewan transcript (an official copy will be required upon acceptance by the U of S selection committee to send to The Washington Centre)
Approximate Program Costs and Dates:
WINTER TERM 2019 (includes The Washington Center tuition, program fee and housing)
TOTAL: $14,800 USD *
DATES: January 23, 2018 to May 4, 2019
SUMMER TERM 2019 (includes The Washington Center tuition, program fee and housing)
TOTAL: $12,800 USD *
DATES: June 2, 2019 to August 10, 2019
FALL TERM 2019 (includes The Washington Center tuition, program fee and housing)
TOTAL: $14,800 USD *
DATES: August 28, 2019 to December 7, 2019
For more information about The Washington Centre please visit:
For more information about program costs and application instructions for U of S students please contact, the Program Coordinator: AandS.Abroad@usask.ca.