Seek help and support after a sexual assault

After any sexual assault or sexual misconduct, you may disclose your experience to a university staff member.

Seek help Report Make a complaint
The pages above are condensed versions of the full Procedures Related to the Sexual Assault Prevention Policy

What is disclosure?

If an individual experiences sexual assault or sexual misconduct, they are strongly encouraged to consider sharing their experience with a professional counsellor in order to receive personal support.

Individuals who have these experiences are also encouraged to approach university staff members (described below under Supports) who can assist with supports and accommodations that may be needed as a consequence of the impact that sexual assault and sexual misconduct can have on a person.

There are occasions when an individual who has experienced sexual assault will decide to tell someone who is neither a professional counsellor nor a university employee. If this person then brings forward the disclosure to the university, those involved with the response to sexual assault at the university will help to find ways to work alongside all of those involved. 

It is the university’s practice to maintain confidentiality when a disclosure is made, following the Policy on Sexual Assault Prevention. The University will not, however, be able to guarantee complete confidentiality where there is a safety risk to the campus community, and/or specific individuals. Anonymity also cannot be maintained if a person wishes to pursue a formal complaint against another, though the University will ensure that complaint processes are carried out in accordance with applicable privacy laws. It is important to note that anyone having experienced or witnessed sexual assault or sexual misconduct can disclose the incident to the university without making a report to the university or to the police and without making a formal complaint to the university. 

Medical attention

You are encouraged to seek medical attention as soon after the incident as possible.

A person who has experienced sexual assault is encouraged to seek medical attention as soon after the incident as possible. Even if you are not physically injured, other issues may require medical attention such as testing for sexually transmitted infections (STI) and pregnancy prevention. A forensic examination which preserves physical evidence of a sexual assault should be done within 48 hours of an assault to be effective and are only available in certain hospitals at certain times.

Immediate medical attention:

  • Royal University Hospital (RUH): 306-655-1362
  • City Hospital: 306-655-8230
  • St. Paul Hospital: 306-655-5000 (provides medical attention but does not administer forensic kits)

Forensic Kits: When you go to a hospital in Saskatoon, you will be asked if you opt to have a forensic examination. The forensic kits, which become an element in collecting evidence for a criminal case, are conducted at City Hospital between 9 am and 7 pm and at Royal University Hospital between 7 pm and 9 am. In Saskatoon, these kits are only administered at these two hospitals.

Immediate Support:

Saskatoon Sexual Assault and Information Centre (SSAIC)
The SSAIC has a 24 hour crisis line: 306-244-2224 (for immediate support following an assault)

Student Wellness Centre:
Student Wellness Centre is on the fourth floor of Place Riel and is open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday. 
Student Health provides medical attention, but cannot administer a forensic kit.

Supports for students

When the person disclosing an experience is a student

Student Affairs and Outreach:

Students and employees working with students (all U of S students regardless of campus location) are encouraged to contact the Student Affairs and Outreach team who will provide coordination of support and accommodations for the student.

Student Affairs and Outreach
Tracy Spencer
Student Outreach Coordinator: Beau Gallerneault
(306) 966-5757

Additional support services for students

There are additional services that provide students with support and assistance including (but not limited to):

Support in the form of academic accommodations (e.g., extensions on assignments, deferrals of exams, registration in courses) is coordinated through the Student Affairs Case Manager. These accommodations are made in accordance with the university standards and procedures for requesting and granting such accommodations.

Supports for employees

When the person disclosing an experience is a staff member

Support and assistance for a person disclosing who is an employee (faculty or staff) can be attained through a variety of sources including (but not limited to) the list below. All University of Saskatchewan employees, regardless of the campus location of their work are encouraged to contact any of the resources listed immediately below

Accommodations are coordinated by the Senior Wellness Specialist, Wellness Resources. Workplace accommodations (e.g., medical leaves, relocation of offices, reassignment of reporting structures, and installation of panic buttons) will be coordinated by Wellness Resources and Protective Services. These accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis in order to fit the needs of any particular circumstances related to the incident being disclosed.

Responsibility of university community members

If someone discloses an incident of sexual assault or misconduct to you

It is the responsibility of all members of the university community who receive a disclosure of sexual assault or sexual misconduct to provide an offer of assistance to connect the person who has been victimized either to the Student Affairs Case Manager or to the senior wellness specialist (when the person is an employee). These contact individuals will work to ensure the individual receives the necessary information regarding support services, reporting options, and formal complaint processes.

There are situations in which sexual assault or sexual misconduct is disclosed to a university of Saskatchewan employee in such a manner that the employee is asked by the individual not to share this information with others. In those instances, the employee is asked to seek guidance from university personnel (i.e., Student Affairs Case Manager, Emergency Manager, Wellness Resources) for the purpose of providing the necessary supports to the individual who has disclosed, while maintaining the confidentiality requested by the individual who has been sexually assaulted.

There are situations in which sexual assault or sexual misconduct is disclosed to a university of Saskatchewan employee whose professional position carries with it a responsibility to maintain confidentiality (e.g., physician, counsellor). In those instances, the employee is asked to follow the professional protocol that governs behaviour and practice under those circumstances and to be aware of university policies and procedures so as to provide this information to the individual who has been sexually assaulted.

Report an incident

You can choose to report the incident to initiate immediate investigation.

Make a complaint

Formal complaints allow the university to hold students or staff who have committed an offense to account.

Share this story