The SECC, in partnership with Chartered Professional Accountants (CPA) and the Edwards School of Business, are pleased to announce the 8th annual Accounting Career Fair. This event is an opportunity for students who are interested in the CPA career path to meet with employers who are looking to hire for co-op, summer, or full-time positions in January, May or September 2019.
Companies will have booths displayed and representatives on hand to speak with you. Light appetizers and non-alcoholic beverages will be served.
Tuesday, Sept. 11, 2018, 5-8 pm
Moeller Resource Room (Room 244), Edwards School of Business
Advice From Attendees
"Have your resume prepared ahead of time and bring business cards with you. Prepare questions for employers ahead of time so there aren't awkward silences. Make small talk with the recruiters to get to know them. This usually helps the conversation feel more smooth." - 4th year Accounting student
"Talk with everyone! Even if you dont see yourself with this company in the future, you never know they might change your mind!" - 3rd year Accounting student
"Talk to whoever you can because you never know what opportunity may arise." - Accounting Alumnus
Tips for Success
What to do before the event
- Get your resume ready!
- View the list of attending companies.
- Research the companies you are interested in and the positions offered, using the resources at the SECC and on the Internet. Talk to any other students or graduates that have worked for the companies.
- Prepare intelligent, informed questions in advance for those employers that interest you. This will allow you to present yourself as well informed and will capture the employer’s attention.
- Consider creating a LinkedIn account.
What to bring
- Pen and notepad
- Portfolio or clipboard—to store the information and business cards you will pick up
- Positive attitude!
- Calling cards
What to wear
- Arrive neatly dressed, and appear well groomed and professional at all times while at the event.
- Wear minimal jewelry and perfume/cologne, polish your shoes, and do not have gum or candy in your mouth.
- Remember the importance of fresh breath!
Practice your F.A.S.T. Pitch ahead of time, so that you are prepared to use it as a means of introducing yourself:
F - First: name and firm handshake
A - Academics: year and major
S - Skills: strengths and interest (in position, their company, the industry, mentoring, etc.)
T - Target: define your objective (what is your goal for speaking with this person)
- Remember to smile and maintain good eye contact. Demonstrating a positive attitude and being engaged are very important!
- Ask about the next step in the recruitment process if a recruiter is willing to accept your resume at the event. Some employers will decline and refer you to the SECC and the specific postings on the job postings board and website.
- Be sure to thank employers for their time before you leave.
- Attend the event alone—you will be more focused on your job search and make a stronger impression with potential employers.
- Be friendly and warm, self-confident, and listen attentively.
- Stay long enough to have your questions answered and your interest recognized, but never monopolize an employer's time. Ensure that you have left a positive impression.
- Be patient while the recruiter is speaking with another student.
- Show interest in the company, not just its promotional items.
- Focus on what you can bring to the organization, not what the organization can do for you.
- Be relaxed and have fun!