Campus Career Expo is an excellent venue to explore career opportunities! Enhance your networking skills, meet with professionals in a wide array of fields, and obtain invaluable information for your job search. Brought to you by the SECC, this event will help you learn more about the world of work and find potential areas of employment including future part-time, summer, full-time or internship positions.
Advice From Past Attendees
"Visit all the booths that are applicable to your college. You never know what might interest you." - 2nd Year Kinesiology student
"Do research on the companies you are interested in, and reflect on what you are looking for from the companies you are interested in. Additionally, prepare resumes to bring with you. Even if you don't give them out, the impression that you are prepared is invaluable." - 4th Year Engineering student
"Know which booths you want to visit and where they are so you aren't scrambling around searching and possibly miss the perfect company for you. Dress for success." - 3rd Year Engineering student
"Make sure you take the time to go, it is beneficial to know who is looking at the students right out of school. Spend at least an hour so you can see everyone you want to. Don't be afraid to step in and introduce yourself." - 3rd year Edwards School of Business student
Tips for Success
What to do before the event
- Get your resume ready!
- View the list of attending companies.
- Research the companies you are interested in and the positions offered, using the resources at the SECC and on the Internet. Talk to any other students or graduates that have worked for the companies.
- Prepare intelligent, informed questions in advance for those employers that interest you. This will allow you to present yourself as well informed and will capture the employer’s attention.
- Consider creating a LinkedIn account.
What to bring
- Pen and notepad
- Portfolio or clipboard—to store the information and business cards you will pick up
- Positive attitude!
- Calling cards
What to wear
- Arrive neatly dressed, and appear well groomed and professional at all times while at the event.
- Wear minimal jewelry and perfume/cologne, polish your shoes, and do not have gum or candy in your mouth.
- Remember the importance of fresh breath!
Practice your F.A.S.T. Pitch ahead of time, so that you are prepared to use it as a means of introducing yourself:
F - First: name and firm handshake
A - Academics: year and major
S - Skills: strengths and interest (in position, their company, the industry, mentoring, etc.)
T - Target: define your objective (what is your goal for speaking with this person)
- Remember to smile and maintain good eye contact. Demonstrating a positive attitude and being engaged are very important!
- Ask about the next step in the recruitment process if a recruiter is willing to accept your resume at the event. Some employers will decline and refer you to the SECC and the specific postings on the job postings board and website.
- Be sure to thank employers for their time before you leave.
- Attend the event alone—you will be more focused on your job search and make a stronger impression with potential employers.
- Be friendly and warm, self-confident, and listen attentively.
- Stay long enough to have your questions answered and your interest recognized, but never monopolize an employer's time. Ensure that you have left a positive impression.
- Be patient while the recruiter is speaking with another student.
- Show interest in the company, not just its promotional items.
- Focus on what you can bring to the organization, not what the organization can do for you.
- Be relaxed and have fun!
Last Year's Exhibitors
Filter by discipline: