Stay registered every term

Unless otherwise specified by a special program/tuition structure, all graduate degree students must be continuously registered every term throughout their program. There are three terms in the graduate academic year (Fall, Winter, and Summer/Summer) 

  • Thesis or project-based students - must register in 990, and in 992, 994, or 996.
    • 990 seminar course (according to program requirements) and;
    • Students must be registered in every term as follows:
      • in 994 if they are in a Master’s thesis program,
      • in 992 if they are in a Master’s project program, or
      • in 996, if they are in a Ph.D. program
      • The above registration is in addition to any specific coursework a studnet is registered in for the term
  • Master’s course-based - If there is no course for a master’s course-based student to take in a particular term, they must be registered in Maintenance of Status.  This registration carries with it tuition fees and student fees equivalent to a three (3) credit unit course. Maintenance of Status terms are included as part of a student’s time in program.
  • Postgraduate Diploma students who are not enrolled in a course in a particular term do not need to register for that term.  PGD students are permitted to be unregistered for a maximum of two consecutive terms. PGD students must be registered for at least one term of each calendar year by either enrolling in a course or in Maintenance of Status for that term.

If you are uncertain of what you should be registering in, reach out to the administator or Graduate Chair in your academic unit for assistance.

Students who are temporarily unable to make progress in their program may be eligible for an approved leave of absence.

Complete degree before deadline

Your timeline for your degrees starts with the first class credited towards your degree – make sure you’re within your timeline!

  • Postgraduate Diploma and Master degree students have five (5) years to complete their degree.
  • Ph.D. students have six (6) years to complete.
  • If you transfer from a Master’s to a PhD, you must remember that your timeline will continue from the start of your Master’s degree to a maximum of six (6) years.

In extenuating circumstances, an extension to time in program may be available. If you think you may need an extension, speak with your supervisor or the Graduate Chair in your academic unit. More information about extensions to time in program, and how to apply for them, can be found at the link below.