The annual Education Career Fair is brought to you by the
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
9:30 AM - 3:00 PM
Tips From Past Attendees
"Even if you're in first year and not looking for a job yet, it's good to go - you can make contacts for internship or just start thinking about different divisions you might go to once you're done." - 1st year Education Undergrad
"Brainstorm a list of questions you would like to ask the exhibitors - this will help you feel more calm walking into the career fair. Be open to new employers - gain information from booths that appeal to you." - 4th year Education Undergrad
"Go in your first year of Education and dress in formal attire. Ask each of the schools what they are looking for on resumes and in a teacher, then the following year be prepared to shine." -3rd year Education Undergrad
"No matter if you are looking to obtain a job, or information, it is a great experience to go and speak with individuals face to face and immerse yourself in information." - 3rd year Education Undergrad
Tips for Success
What to do before the event
- Get your resume ready!
- View the list of exhibitors in advance.
- Research the companies you are interested in and the positions they are hiring for.
- Prepare intelligent, informed questions in advance for those employers that interest you. This will allow you to present yourself as well informed and will capture the employer’s attention.
- Consider creating a LinkedIn account.
What to wear
- Arrive neatly dressed, and appear well groomed and professional at all times while at the event.
- Avoid perfume/cologne and use mints instead of gum.
What to bring
- Pen and notepad
- Portfolio or clipboard—to store the information and business cards you will pick up
- Know what it is that you are looking to find out about the organization, and prepare a few questions in advance.
- Try introducing yourself by saying your name and what your major is.
- Remember to smile and maintain good eye contact. Demonstrating a positive attitude and being engaged are very important!
- Attend the event alone—you will be more focused on your job search and make a stronger impression with potential employers.
- Stay long enough to have your questions answered and your interest recognized, but never monopolize an exhibitor's time.
- Show interest in the company, not just its promotional items.
- Focus on what you can bring to the organization, not what the organization can do for you.
- Be relaxed and have fun!
Volunteering is an excellent opportunity to interact with employers behind the scenes and develop your networking skills in a low pressure environment.