Attend another university for one or two terms while gaining transfer credit toward your U of S degree.
U of S classes abroad
Take one class or an entire term of U of S classes overseas.
Unique programs including interships, volunteer opportunities, or conferences.
For more information about different study abroad opportunities, funding or travel safety, please visit the International Student and Study Abroad Centre in Room 80, Lower Place Riel or email email@example.com.
Drop by the International Student and Study Abroad Centre and speak to one of our International Education officers about our great selection of study-abroad opportunities. Staff at the centre can also talk to you about funding available.
Tuesday 1-4 pm
Wednesday 9 am-noon
Thursday 1-4 pm
No appointment required.
U of S Student Travel Award:
Full-time undergraduate and graduate students who will be participating in a conference, U of S study abroad program, competition or other study-related activities off campus can apply for the University of Saskatchewan Student Travel Award. Funding is available for individuals and groups in three categories. Please note that you can submit an application as soon as you have all the required supporting documents to accompany your application form.
The deadline to apply is one month before the estimated start date of your travel. Applications will be processed on first-come, first-served basis until available funds have been exhausted. Please note that due to a high volume of applications it cannot be guaranteed that successful applicants receive their awards prior to travel.
Eligibility criteria and the application form (Please note that a complete application must include a detailed budget that explains estimated costs for travel and any other funding you are expecting to receive from other sources to support your travel. Please include only reasonable costs associated with your U of S travel into the application. Personal travel costs will not be considered for STA funding). All applicants should ensure that their mailing address on PAWS is up-to-date prior to applying.
The International Office helps fund various research projects abroad. Graduate students are encouraged to click here for funding for their studies and/or research abroad.
For more information about other travel awards, please use the Scholarships search engine below.
Gail Appel Global Citizenship Award
This award is designed to recognize one U of S student enrolled in any college for a high academic achievement while exemplifying the qualities of global citizenship within or outside the university. The value of this annual award is $1,000.
Selection criteria will take into consideration interest and involvement in intercultural activities, global awareness and/or leadership in promoting inclusiveness and diversity on and off campus.
Nominees (or nominating departments/colleges) must submit the following documents:
- A letter of nomination from the Department/College, which provides examples of the student's accomplishments and qualifications in the light of the award criteria.
- A cover letter written by the nominee explaining their interests and involvement in activities that exemplify the spirit of global citizenship on and/or off campus.
- A resume from the nominee.
Application deadline for 2016 has now passed. All nominees will be contacted by email once a selection has been made.
Generally, exchange students can continue to receive and/or apply for U of S scholarships. Please be sure to check the specific terms of your current scholarship to ensure that you are in compliance. Student loans may also be available to students going abroad.
The Gillian Hughes Memorial Travel Fellowship to financially assist upper year undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture specializing in an area of plant sciences to study abroad for at least one term at an established university in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or elsewhere in Europe.
The Frank Sosulski Memorial Travel Award Fund to assist graduate students in Agriculture and Bioresources to participate in regional, national or international conferences or projects.
- James Barney Smyth International Study Abroad Award - two annual application deadlines
- Gail Appel Fund for Study Abroad - two annual application deadlines
- Maureen Rever-DuWors Biology Studies Travel Award
- Joseph Zlacky Scholarship
- McEwen Fund for Study Abroad
- John Russell Kowalchuk Awards in Ukrainian Studies
- Global Health Research and Travel Awards (open to undergraduate and graduate students): Financial support for faculty, residents, graduate and undergraduate students for their research and learning experiences in developing countries.
- The H.B (Bruno) Schiefer Student Travel Award (open to graduate students): For students who are registered full-time with the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Must be presenting research findings from the U of S toxicology grad work at scientific meetings.
Hanlon Centre Financial Subsidy for International Business Education (open to all students): A financial subsidy to help students participate in international business education & experiential learning opportunities. Preference for students in Edwards School of Business.
Government of Canada Funding
The Canadian Government provides different funding sources for students to take their education abroad. Find out more by visiting the following websites:
Funding open to graduate students:
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Institute Community Support Travel Awards
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Funding Guide for Students
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Funding Opportunities
- Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships Program
Tri-agency funding information (joint NSERC-SSHRC-CIHR programs) (open to graduate students and post-graduate fellows):
Other External Funding
- CasaSwap - Student Grant Program
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP)
- Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)– Financial assistance for studies abroad
- Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute -- Travel Awards for Senior Level PhD Students
- Entomological Society of Saskatchewan -- Travel Award
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award for undergraduate and graduate research in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Turkey and Vietnam
- Mitacs Elevate for postdoctoral projects
Region-specific international research grants:
Country Specific Funding
|Germany||The DAAD: German Academic Exchange Service|
|Iceland||The Iceland Travel and Study Award - Open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the U of S. One award of $2,000.|
|Indonesia||Indonesia's Darmasiswa Cultural Scholarship Japan Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Japanese Government Scholarships (Monbukagakusho)|
|Korea||Foreign Government Awards - Korea|
|Mexico||Canada-Mexico Awards for Canadians|
|New Zealand||Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP) – New Zealand|
|Norway||High North Fellowship Program|
|Russia||Foreign Government Awards Program - Russia|
|Switzerland||ThinkSwiss Research Scholarships|
|United Kingdom||The BUTEX Student Scholarships|
|United States||Killam Fellowship Fulbright Scholarships|