Registration - students with disabilities
We encourage you to register with Access and Equity Services as early as possible if you identify with one or more of the following broad categories:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Brain Injury or Concussion
- Chronic Health Issues(Bowel Diseases Epilepsy, Migraines)
- Deaf / Hard of Hearing
- Learning Disability
- Mental Health (Anxiety, Depression, Schizophrenia, Eating Disorders)
- Mobility / Functional Issues
- Low Vision / Legally Blind
- Temporary Issues (Broken limbs)
Types of Disabilities
In order to register with AES as a student with a disability you must have a Medical-based or Learning Disability. By law, AES defines disability according to Section 2(1)(d.1) of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code:
- Medical-based Disabilities - any degree of physical disability, mental disorder(s), infirmity, malformation or disfigurement.
- Learning Disabilities: any intellectual disability or impairment, learning disability or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in the comprehension or use of symbols or spoken language (this does not include struggling with English as a second language).
Steps to Register
Step 1. Obtain the appropriate documentation
- For medical-based disabilities, a licenced health care practitioner must fill out a medical questionnaire (PDF).
- For learning disabilities you will need a psycho-educational assessment that was completed by a registered psychologist within the past five years.
The documentation can be forwarded directly to AES by the licenced health practitioner or psychologist or the student can forward it via email, fax or dropping off.
Step 2. AES will review your documents
- This may take up to two weeks if we need to follow-up with the licenced health practitioner.
- Once the documents have been reviewed you will receive an email to your PAWS account inviting you to call to make a registration appointment.
Step 3. Book an appointment with AES
Contact us to book a one-hour appointment. Registration can proceed only if the documentation is on hand at the time of the appointment.