Registration - students with disabilities
We encourage you to register with Access and Equity Services as early as possible if you identify with one or more of the following broad categories:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Brain Injury or Concussion
- Chronic Health Issues(Bowel Diseases Epilepsy, Migraines)
- Deaf / Hard of Hearing
- Learning Disability
- Mental Health (Anxiety, Depression, Schizophrenia, Eating Disorders)
- Mobility / Functional Issues
- Low Vision / Legally Blind
- Temporary Issues (Broken
Types of Disabilities
In order to register with AES as a student with a
- Medical-based Disabilities - any degree of physical disability, mental disorder(s), infirmity, malformation or disfigurement.
- Learning Disabilities: any intellectual disability or impairment, learning disability or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in the comprehension or use of symbols or spoken language (this does not include struggling with English as a second language).
Steps to Register
Step 1. Obtain the appropriate documentation
- For medical-based disabilities, a
licencedhealth care practitioner must fill out a medical questionnaire (PDF).
- For learning
disabilitiesyou will need a psycho-educational assessment that was completed by a registered psychologist within the past five years.
The documentation can be forwarded directly to AES by the
Step 2. AES will review your documents
- This may take up to two weeks if we need to follow-up with the
- Once the documents have been reviewed you will receive an email to your PAWS account inviting you to call to make a registration appointment.
Step 3. Book an appointment with AES
Contact us to book a one-hour appointment. Registration can proceed only if the documentation is on hand at the time of the appointment.
Registration - other prohibited grounds
Letters to Professors
The purpose of Letters to Professors (LTPs) is to:
- provide confirmation to the professor that the student is registered with AES
- outline required academic and exam accommodations they will need
- and state the deadlines they must meet in order to receive exam accommodations through AES.
Information for instructors regarding accommodations for students is available.