Access and Equity Services Access and Equity Services

Access and Equity Services, formerly Disability Services for Students (DSS), is guided by Saskatchewan's Human Rights legislation and the duty to accommodate individuals requiring accommodations based on disability, religion, family status, and gender identity.

E1, Administration Building, University of Saskatchewan

Contact & hours

Feel free to get in touch with us. We are here to assist you if you require accommodations or have questions about accessibility on campus.

General hours:

  • Monday - Friday: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Drop-in hours:

  • Monday & Thursday: 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
  • Tuesday & Wednesday: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm


Our advisors are here to help you navigate the registration process and can inform you of all the necessary supporting documents required. We encourage you to register with Access and Equity Services as early as possible if you require accommodation. You can register with AES for temporary or permanent conditions. 

If you are unsure of whether or not registering with AES is right for you, you can contact us or come to our office during drop-in hours.

Registration process

Obtain documentation

Step 1 - Obtain the appropriate documentation

For medical-based disabilitiesa licensed health care practitioner must fill out a medical questionnaire.

For learning disabilities, you will need a psycho-educational assessment that was completed by a registered psychologist within the past five years.

For other accommodations (prohibited grounds, religion, genders identity or family status) supporting documents vary on a case to case basis. Our staff will advise you.

The documentation can be forwarded directly to AES by the licensed health care practitioner or the student can forward it via email, fax, drop off or mail it in.

Review documents

Step 2 - AES will review your documents

Once the documents have been reviewed you will receive an email to your USask email account inviting you to call us to make a registration appointment.

This may take up to two weeks if we need to follow-up with the licensed health care practitioner.


Step 3 - Book a registration appointment with AES

Contact us to book a one-hour appointment to finalize your registration.

Registration can proceed only if the documentation is on hand at the time of the appointment.

Programs & services

Access to most services and programs provided by AES is restricted to students who have registered with the office. Services include:


What is an accommodation?

Accommodations are supports or services that allow a student with a disability, or other accommodation needs, a fair opportunity to engage in academic activities and fulfill essential course and program requirements. Accommodations are meant to level the playing field for students; they are never meant to provide an advantage to students. Accommodations are not the same as modifications; you must still meet the learning outcomes of your program.

Students with disabilities

We encourage you to register with Access and Equity Services as early as possible if you identify with one or more of the following broad categories (this is not a comprehensive list):

  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
  • Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Brain Injury or Concussion
  • Chronic Health Issues (Bowel Diseases Epilepsy, Migraines)
  • Deaf/Hard of Hearing
  • Learning Disability
  • Mental Health (Anxiety or depressive disorders, Schizophrenia, Eating Disorders)
  • Mobility/Functional Issues
  • Low Vision/Legally Blind
  • Temporary conditions

Types of disabilities

In order to register with AES as a student with a disability you must have a Medical-based or Learning Disability:

  1. Medical-based Disabilities - any degree of physical disability, mental disorder(s), infirmity, malformation or disfigurement.
  2. Learning Disabilities: any intellectual disability or impairment, learning disability or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in the comprehension or use of symbols or spoken language (this does not include struggling with English as a second language).

By law, AES defines disability according to Section 2(1)(d.1) of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code

Students with other accommodation needs

If you require an accommodation based on your religion, family status (including pregnancy) or gender identity, please contact or phone 306-966-7273.

You have a right to an education, and USask will make reasonable accommodations to ensure you are not discriminated against on the basis of:

  • religion
  • creed
  • marital status
  • family status
  • sex
  • sexual orientation
  • disability
  • age (18 or more)
  • colour
  • ancestry
  • nationality
  • place of origin
  • race or perceived race
  • receipt of public assistance
  • gender identity

By law, AES defines 'prohibited grounds' according to Section 2(1)(m.01) of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code


There may be funding available to you to purchase assistive technology or to subsidize the cost of a psycho-educational assessment. Book an appointment with an advisor for more detailed information, and see our funding page for detailed information, including deadlines.

Faculty information

If you have a student in your class that needs accommodations and you have questions, please feel free to contact our office.

Letters to Professors

The purpose of Letters to Professors (LTPs) is to:

  • provide confirmation to the professor that the student is registered with AES
  • outline required academic and exam accommodations they will need 
  • and state the deadlines they must meet in order to receive exam accommodations through AES.

It is the student's responsibility to provide the LTP to their instructor(s).

We encourage students to provide this information to their instructors as close to the beginning of the semester as possible; however, there is no deadline to register with AES and so an instructor may receive an LTP at any time during the year.

Instructor guide

Information for instructors regarding accommodations for students is available.