Important dates and deadlines
Complete the following five steps to ensure you are ready to graduate and receive your parchment.
1. Apply to graduate
Fall Convocation 2022 application deadlines
|August 31, 2022||The graduation application will open in late June|
|September 30, 2022||The last day to withdraw your application to graduate|
Only your College Office can provide you with information pertaining to eligibility for graduation. You are considered a graduate of a program once the degree has been conferred, which occurs at the convocation ceremony.
- All communication regarding graduation will be sent to your PAWS email, please check there regularly.
2. Check the mailing address we have on file
|September 30, 2022||Deadline to submit address changes|
Ensure that your current mailing address is up-to-date in My Profile and if you happen to change addresses after you've applied to graduate, notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Check the full legal name we have on file
|September 30, 2022||Deadline to submit any name changes|
Note: a $50 fee will be charged for name change requests made after this date
The name in My Profile is what will appear on your parchment, on the list of graduates that will be available online.
Check your name in My Profile. Your legal name is listed under the Bio section.
Under s.23(2)(h) of the Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the University of Saskatchewan has the authority to publish and release information pertaining to the degrees, diplomas and certificates received by individuals. If you are concerned about your name being published in the convocation program, other media, college websites and other publications, please submit your reasons why to the University Registrar by email at email@example.com. Generally, names will only be removed for reasons related to the personal safety of the individual.
If you are a transgender student who no longer goes by your legal name, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by the name change deadline to:
- Ensure your name is read aloud at Convocation
- Ensure your name is listed in the graduation program and convocation celebration website
- Request an official letter that acknowledges we recognize you go by a different name than the legal name
- Request two parchments be printed; one with your legal name and one with your name, which will include notation on the back that explains the name listed is your name.
- If you change your name legally in the future, request a new parchment at no cost to replace any parchments you have previously received
If you need to verify a degree, diploma, or certificate
Both your legal name and name are kept by the university. The inconsistency of legal and names may be an issue during some degree verification processes. For example, you legal name is listed on transcripts, unofficial transcripts, confirmation of degree letters, and our third-party direct verification service, and your legal name may be used in over-the-phone confirmations.
For more information, or if you identify as transgender and have already graduated, please email email@example.com.
4. Pay outstanding tuition and fees
|September 30, 2022||Deadline to clear outstanding account balances|
If you have a financial hold on your account, you may graduate, but will not receive your parchments and other official documents such as transcripts until all outstanding balances are cleared.
5. Send necessary transcripts
|September 30, 2022||Official transcripts must be received from the issuing institution|
If you've accumulated transfer credits from other post-secondary institutions that haven't been sent to us, you must arrange to have the issuing institution send your transcripts by the date noted above.
Official transcripts may be sent from the issuing institution to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Recruitment and Admissions
University of Saskatchewan
105 Administration Place
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A2
Prepare for your Convocation ceremony
1. Order your tickets
|Online ticket orders will open in September.|
|Online ticket orders are now closed.|
- Tickets are required to attend the ceremony If you missed ordering a ticket online, please see the Information Desk at Merlish Belsher Place upon arriving 1 hour prior to your ceremony.
- Extra tickets: If you require more than 9 guest tickets, please see the Information Desk upon arriving 1 hour prior to your ceremony.
- Tickets will immediately be emailed to the email you provided when ordering, please check your Junk folder. Your ticket email and can be printed or shown digitally for entry.
- International guests: If your guests require an invitation letter to secure travel documents, information can be found on the inviting friends and family page and the IRCC guide. Contact email@example.com if you have questions.
- Convocation is a public event where photographs will be taken and the ceremonies will be streamed live on the internet. By attending convocation, you are giving the University of Saskatchewan permission to use any photos and to include your name in all media, future promotional materials, programs, websites, etc.
2. Order your gown
|Closed||Gown rentals will open in September|
Graduands who attend the Convocation ceremony are required to wear appropriate academic dress and must obtain hoods for the degree they’re receiving — not for a degree they already hold. Gowns and hoods are available for rent and should be ordered prior to the time of assembly. They can be picked up on site at Merlis Belsher Place before your ceremony. If you forget to rent a gown, you can rent one on site 1.5 hours prior to your ceremony.
- It is encouraged that you return your gown at the end of the day of your graduation ceremony. Gowns must be returned by Friday June 10 at noon. Students who do not return their gowns by June 10 at noon will be charged the full retail price of unreturned gowns.
3. Order your degree frame
There are four ways to purchase your degree frame.
- Purchase online for delivery any time with delivery directly to your home.
- Purchase online for pickup at convocation.
- In person at Merlis Belsher Place: Purchase your frame onsite after each ceremony. Inventory may be limited.
- In Person, year-round: Purchase a frame at Shop usask Preston Crossing or Shop usask Bookstore all year round.
Be proud and show off your hard work! To celebrate convocation, Shop USask is offering 15% OFF all our degree frames from now until May 29th online and in-store.
4. Order graduation flowersFresh roses will be available for purchase at Merlis Belsher Place from June 6-10. To reserve a bouquet, order online and pick it up when you get to Merlis Belsher Place. More information and ordering link coming soon.
5. Order your graduation photos
The Convocation Office will be coordinating graduation photography. A photo will be taken of you when you receive your parchment and proofs will be emailed to your PAWS account within a few weeks after convocation, where you will have the opportunity to purchase your photos.
Some colleges arrange formal graduation photos through their student unions. Contact the student union in your college to find out more information.
What you need to know for Convocation day
See the program of events to know when to arrive and be ready.
- Arrive early, at least 60 minutes before your ceremony to avoid long lines when picking up your gown and hood.
- Parking is available in the parking lot at Merlis Belsher Place.
- Be backstage at Merlis Belsher Place place 45 minutes before your ceremony starts and be fully dressed in your academic regalia.
- You will only walk the stage once per ceremony for your highest degree-level parchment obtained. At this time, all degrees and certificates will be awarded from that ceremony.
- Only graduating students are eligible to cross the stage during the ceremony.
- Each ceremony usually runs no longer than 2 1/2 hours.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Degrees in absentia
Graduands are expected to attend the Convocation ceremony to receive their parchments in person. If you cannot attend, you will receive your parchment in the mail about a month after convocation. If you change your address after you've applied to graduate, notify us by email at email@example.com.
Please do not park in the Field House parking lots. The Field House parking lots are for those using the Field House facilities only. You will be ticketed if you park there while attending Convocation.
Parking Lot Locations and Payment
Parking lot options
Lots closest to Merlis Belsher Place:
Visitor parking lots on campus, include:
Lot 20 (located directly in front of Merlis Belsher Place)
Lot 15 (at the corner of College Drive and Preston Avenue)
Parking payment options
Use the PayByPhone App
Download or login to the PayByPhone app, find the location number of the lot you are in (indicated in the lot) and pay with your smartphone. The location number for lot 15 and 20 is 4656. During convocation, the cost to park in lots 15 and 20 using the PayByPhone app is $6 for 4 hours.
Pay at the pay station
Pay stations or meters are located in each public lot and public space. Please avoid this option to help you make it to your ceremony on time. We recommend paying using the PayByPhone app.
If you choose to pay at a pay station during Convocation, the cost to park in lots 15 and 20 is $6 for 4 hours. The cost to pay in lots 1, 3, 4 and 5 is $3/hour, and the cost to pay in Stadium Parkade is $2.50/hour.
See the program events
- Convocation guides are handed out at each ceremony. View a past ceremony program.
- Honorary award recipients: In addition to awarding thousands of degrees to students, a number of honorary degrees and awards will be presented to deserving individuals.
- Orators: Orators were selected through an audition process to read out the names of degree recipients as they receive their parchments.
November 9, 9:00am
Agriculture and Bioresources, Education, Engineering, Dentistry Kinesiology, Law, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy and Nutrition, School of Rehabilitation Science, School of Public Health and Veterinary Medicine
November 9, 2:00pm
Arts and Science, Office of the Provost, Edwards School of Business, School of Public Policy and School of Environment and Sustainability
After you graduate
Publication of graduate names
All graduate names will be listed on the USask website. Graduate names may also be sent to media.
Graduate Retention Program
After graduation, you may be eligible for a tax exemption of up to $20,000 via the Graduate Retention Program. The University of Saskatchewan applies for the Saskatchewan Graduate Retention Program certificate on behalf of its graduates if they provide their social insurance number in the appropriate section on their Application to Graduate
Update your contact information to stay in touch with USask Alumni as you go off and do great things. Follow your fellow @USaskAlumni on Facebook and Instagram as well as alumni.usask.ca.
Parchment replacements and duplicate copies
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, all parchment orders will be delayed. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the event that you require a copy or replacement of your parchment, the University of Saskatchewan will provide a second copy of a parchment at a cost of $50 under the following circumstances:
- Official name change: you must complete the parchment replacement form and change your legal name at the University of Saskatchewan.
- Original incorrect: you must return the original document along with supporting documentation and the parchment replacement form. To prevent this from happening, ensure that your legal name as you want it to appear on your parchment is up-to-date in My Profile (see the Bio section).
- Original lost or destroyed: you must submit a parchment replacement form and a reprint fee of $50.
- Original never received: submit a written statement of request. There will be no charge if this request is made within one year of the graduation date. If the request is made after one year, the $50 reprint fee must be submitted.
- Duplicate copies: you may also order duplicate copies of your parchment.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) conversion to a Juris Doctor (J.D.): you must submit the parchment replacement form and the reprint fee of $50. More details about the JD designation can be found on here, on the College of Law website.
If you graduated prior to 2011, replacement or copied parchments will be in the current USask style with current signatures.
Your parchment is a legal document. The University of Saskatchewan reserves the right to limit the number of copies issued to any one person.
Please email the Convocation Office if you have any questions.