Are you ready to graduate?
If you're ready to graduate, there are a few things you need to do to make sure your convocation goes smoothly.
Complete the following five steps to ensure you are ready to graduate and receive your parchment.
1. Apply to graduate
The application to graduate for Fall 2019 is now closed. The appication for Spring 2020 graduation will open in November.
|August 31, 2019||Application deadline to graduate at Fall Convocation|
|October 3, 2019||The last day to withdraw your application to graduate|
Only your College Office can provide you with information pertaining to eligibility for graduation. You are considered a graduate of a program once the degree has been conferred, which occurs at the convocation ceremony.
2. Is your mailing address up-to-date in PAWS?
|October 28, 2019||Deadline to submit address changes|
Ensure that your current mailing address is up-to-date in PAWS and if you happen to change addresses after you’ve applied to graduate, notify us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Is your full legal name accurate in PAWS?
|October 15, 2019||Deadline to submit any name changes for Fall Convocation purposes|
|Note: a $50.00 fee will be charged for name change requests made after this date|
The name on file in PAWS is the name that will appear on your parchment.
You can check your name under the My Profile tab located under your name on the top right corner in PAWS. Your legal name is listed under the Bio section.
If you are a trans student who no longer goes by your legal first name, please email email@example.com to:
- ensure your preferred name is read aloud when you cross the stage,
- request an official letter that acknowledges that we recognize you go by a different name than the legal name on your parchment, and
- request a new parchment at no cost to you if you change your name legally in the future.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Have all outstanding fees been settled?
|October 25, 2019||Deadline to clear outstanding account balances|
Students who have holds on their accounts may graduate and attend the Convocation ceremony but will not receive their parchments and other official documents such as transcripts, or have the ability to re-register, until all outstanding balances are cleared.
5. Have your transcripts from other institutions been received?
|October 4, 2019||Official transcripts must be received by fax from the issuing
|October 11, 2019||Official transcripts must be received by mail from the issuing institution|
If you’ve accumulated transfer credits from other post-secondary institutions that haven’t been sent to us, you must arrange to have the issuing institution both fax and mail your transcripts by the dates noted above.
1. Fax transcripts
2. Then, mail transcripts to:
Recruitment and Admissions
University of Saskatchewan
105 Administration Place
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A2 Canada
Prepare for your Convocation ceremony
See the program of events and follow these steps to ensure that you are ready for your Convocation ceremony.
1. Order your tickets
Spetember 18, 2019
Tickets can be ordered online through the Convocation Information channel in PAWS
October 28, 2019
Online ticket orders close in PAWS
- Tickets are required to attend the ceremony and you can order up to 15 guest tickets. If you and/or a guest require wheelchair seating, please indicate this on your ticket request.
- If you or your guests requires a sign language interpretor, please email email@example.com.
- Tickets will immediately be emailed to your PAWS email and can be printed or shown digitally for entry.
- International guests: If your guests require an invitation letter to secure travel documents, information can be found on the inviting friends and family page and the IRCC guide. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- Convocation is a public event where photographs will be taken and the ceremonies will be streamed live on the internet. In addition, all graduate names will be listed in the special Convocation edition of the StarPhoenix, to be published in conjunction with the event. By attending convocation, you are giving the University of Saskatchewan permission to use any photos and to include your name in all media, future promotional materials, programs, websites, etc.
2. Order your gown
|Spetember 18, 2019||Rental gowns will be available for online ordering|
October 27, 2019
Online gown orders close
Graduands who attend the Convocation ceremony are required to wear appropriate academic dress and must obtain hoods for the degree they’re receiving — not for a degree they already hold. Gowns and hoods are available for rent and should be ordered prior to the time of assembly. They can be picked up on site at Merlis Belsher Place before your ceremony. If you forget to rent a gown, you can rent one on site prior to your ceremony.
If you have forgotten to return your gown contact Gaspard at 1-800-380-8214 or email@example.com for instructions on how to return your gown.
3. Order your degree frame
There are four ways to purchase your degree frame. Complimentary framing will be available onsite at Merlis Belsher Place. From October 1, until November 8, USask degree frames are 15% off.
- Purchase online for delivery any time with delivery directly to your home.
- Purchase online for pickup at convocation.
- In person at Merlis Belsher Place: Purchase your frame onsite after each ceremony. Inventory may be limited.
- In Person, year-round: Purchase a frame at Shop usask Preston Crossing or Shop usask Bookstore all year round.
4. Order graduation flowers
Fresh roses will be available for purchase at Merlis Belsher Place on November 13, 2019. To reserve a bouquet, order online and pick it up when you get to Merlis Belsher Place.
Class of 2019 t-shirts will also be available on November 13, 2019 while supplies last.
Under s.23(2)(h) of the The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the University of Saskatchewan has the authority to publish and release information pertaining to the degrees, certificates or diplomas received by individuals. If you are concerned about your name being published in the Convocation program, the StarPhoenix Convocation edition, college websites or publications, etc., please formally submit your reasons why to the University Registrar, E34-105 Administration Place, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5A2. Generally, names will only be removed for reasons related to the personal safety of the individual.
What you need to know for Convocation day
See the program of events to know when to arrive and be ready.
- Arrive early, at least 90 minutes before your ceremony to avoid long lines when picking up your gown and hood.
- Parking is available near Merlis Belsher Place (see detailed parking and payment options below)
- Be backstage at Merlis Belsher Place place 45 minutes before your ceremony starts and be fully dressed in your academic regalia.
- You will only walk the stage once per ceremony for your highest degree-level parchment obtained. At this time, all degrees and certificates will be awarded from that ceremony.
- Only graduating students are eligible to cross the stage during the ceremony.
- Each ceremony usually runs no longer than 2 1/2 hours.
- Clothing, degree frames and graduation gifts will be available to purchase at the ceremony.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 306-966-6735.
Parking lot locations and payment
Parking lot options
- Lot 20, located in front of Merlis Belsher Place, $5 (four hour limit)
- Lot 15, at the corner of College Drive and Preston Ave, $5 (four hour limit)
- Stadium Parkade ($2.50 per hour with a $12.50 maximum)
Please do not park in the Field House parking lots. You will be ticketed if you park there while attending Convocation.
Parking payment options
Pre-paid convocation parking pass
Avoid day-of parking payment lineups by purchasing a convocation parking pass for $4. Purchase the pass from Parking and Transportation Services, located at 72 Campus Drive, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Purchasing a pre-paid parking pass does not guarantee you a spot in any parking lot. Please arrive early for your ceremony.
Download or login to the PayByPhone app, find the location number of the lot you are in (indicated in the lot) and pay with your smartphone.
Pay at the pay station
Pay stations or meters are located in each public lot and public space.
The photography company Artona takes two pictures of graduates during the convocation ceremony. Previews of these photographs with order information will be emailed to your USask email address within two weeks of the ceremony—view and order your photos. For more information, live-chat with Artona customer support at artona.com, email email@example.com or call 1-800-668-3866.
Degrees in absentia
Graduands are expected to attend the Convocation ceremony to receive their parchments in person. If you cannot attend, you will receive your parchment in the mail about a month after convocation. Please ensure that your mailing address is up-to-date in PAWS.
If you prefer to pick up your degree in person after convocation, please email us and ask to have your degree withheld from the mail out.
A Toast to the Class of 2019
The USask Alumni Association welcomes graduates and guests to join the alumni family to celebrate your convocation day! A Toast to the Class of 2019 reception will be held in Marquis Hall between 11:30 am and 1:30 pm.
Whether your ceremony is in the morning or afternoon, come enjoy some refreshments and appetizers in between convocation ceremonies!
Please note that this event is in addition to any college-specific events after or before your convocation ceremony.
See the program of events
- Programs are handed out at each ceremony. View a past ceremony program.
- Honorary award recipients: In addition to awarding thousands of degrees to students, a number of honorary degrees and awards will be presented to deserving individuals.
- Orators: Orators were selected through an audition process to read out the names of degree recipients as they receive their parchments.
Wednesday, November 13, 2019
- Agriculture and Bioresources
- Pharmacy and Nutrition
- School of Rehabilitation Science
- School of Public Health
- Veterinary Medicine
Wednesday, November 13, 2019
- Arts and Science
- Office of the Provost
- Edwards School of Business
- Johnson Shoyama School of Public Policy
- School of Environment and Sustainability
After you graduate
Apply to a new program
Are you planning to further your education and return to the college from which you are now receiving your degree, or a different one? If so, you must submit a new admission application through PAWS.
Graduate Retention Program
After graduation, you may be eligible for a tax exemption of up to $20,000.
The Office of Alumni Relations wants to keep in touch as you go off and do great things.
Parchment replacements and duplicate copies
In the event that you require a copy or replacement of your parchment, the University of Saskatchewan will provide a second copy of a parchment at a cost of $50 under the following circumstances:
- Official name change: you must complete the parchment replacement form and provide a copy of supporting documentation (e.g. birth certificate, marriage license).
- Original incorrect: you must return the original document along with supporting documentation and the parchment replacement form. To prevent this from happening, ensure that your legal name as you want it to appear on your parchment is up-to-date in PAWS. See the bio section under my profile located on the right top corner.
- Original lost or destroyed: You must submit a parchment replacement form and a reprint fee of $50.
- Original never received: submit a written statement of request. There will be no charge if this request is made within one year of the graduation date. If the request is made after one year, the $50 reprint fee must be submitted.
- Duplicate copies: you may also order duplicate copies of your parchment.
- If you graduated prior to 2011, replacement or copied parchments will be in the current U of S style with current signatures.
- Due to regulations and to protect your cyber security, credit card information will not be accepted via email.
- Parchment replacement forms with credit card payments must be faxed, mailed or dropped off in person.
- Your parchment is a legal document. The University of Saskatchewan reserves the right to limit the number of copies issued to any one person.
Other parchment changes
LL.B to J.D.: To have your Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) Degree changed to a Juris Doctor (J.D.) Degree, please visit the College of Law website for application details.
If you were a NEPS graduate between 2006-2009 and would like to have your degree printed with the appropriate logos, please contact the College of Nursing for information.