Spring 2020 graduates
Spring 2020 graduates
Although we are prevented from honouring the achievements of our 2020 spring graduates in person this June, graduates will begin receiving their parchments in June and we will celebrate our graduates in other ways beginning later this month.
At some point in the future, we do plan to invite all our Class of 2020 graduates back to campus to have the opportunity to cross the convocation stage in person, celebrating their accomplishments with family and friends. We know how important this is to many of our graduates. We will continue to update everyone as plans are finalized in the coming months.
Are you ready to graduate?
If you're ready to graduate, there are a few things you need to do to make sure your convocation goes smoothly.
Complete the following five steps to ensure you are ready to graduate and receive your parchment.
1. Apply to graduate
The application for Spring 2020 graduation is now closed. The application for Fall 2020 graduation will open in mid-June.
Spring Convocation 2020 Application Deadlines
|March 31, 2020||Application deadline to graduate at Spring Convocation|
|May 1, 2020||The last day to withdraw your application to graduate|
Fall Convocation 2020 Application Deadlines
(Note: The application to graduate for Fall 2020 will not open until mid-June.)
|August 31, 2020||Application deadline to graduate at Fall Convocation|
|October 2, 2020||The last day to withdraw your application to graduate|
Only your College Office can provide you with information pertaining to eligibility for graduation. You are considered a graduate of a program once the degree has been conferred, which occurs at the convocation ceremony.
2. Is your mailing address up-to-date in PAWS?
|May 22, 2020||Deadline to submit address changes|
Ensure that your current mailing address is up-to-date in PAWS and if you happen to change addresses after you’ve applied to graduate, notify us by email at email@example.com.
3. Is your full legal name accurate in PAWS?
|May 7, 2020||Deadline to submit any name changes for Convocation purposes|
|Note: a $50.00 fee will be charged for name change requests made after this date|
The name on file in PAWS is the name that will appear on your parchment.
You can check your name under the My Profile tab located under your name on the top right corner in PAWS. Your legal name is listed under the Bio section.
If you are a trans student who no longer goes by your legal first name, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to:
- ensure your preferred name is read aloud when you cross the stage,
- request an official letter that acknowledges that we recognize you go by a different name than the legal name on your parchment, and
- request a new parchment at no cost to you if you change your name legally in the future.
For more information, please email email@example.com.
4. Have all outstanding fees been settled?
|May 22, 2020||Deadline to clear outstanding account balances|
Students who have holds on their accounts may graduate and attend the Convocation ceremony but will not receive their parchments and other official documents such as transcripts, or have the ability to re-register, until all outstanding balances are cleared.
5. Have your transcripts from other institutions been received?
|May 8, 2020||Official transcripts must be received from the issuing institution|
If you’ve accumulated transfer credits from other post-secondary institutions that haven’t been sent to us, you must arrange to have the issuing institution send your transcripts by the date noted above.
E-mail transcripts may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or
Mail transcripts to:
Recruitment and Admissions
University of Saskatchewan
105 Administration Place
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A2 Canada
Prepare for your Convocation ceremony
See the Schedule of events and follow these steps to ensure that you are ready for your Convocation ceremony.
1. Order your tickets
Tickets can be ordered online through the Convocation Information channel in PAWS
Online ticket orders close in PAWS
- Tickets are required to attend the ceremony and you can order up to 15 guest tickets. If you and/or a guest require wheelchair seating, please indicate this on your ticket request.
- If you or your guests requires a sign language interpretor, please email email@example.com.
- Tickets will immediately be emailed to your PAWS email and can be printed or shown digitally for entry.
- International guests: If your guests require an invitation letter to secure travel documents, information can be found on the inviting friends and family page and the IRCC guide. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- Convocation is a public event where photographs will be taken and the ceremonies will be streamed live on the internet. In addition, all graduate names will be listed in the special Convocation edition of the StarPhoenix, to be published in conjunction with the event. By attending convocation, you are giving the University of Saskatchewan permission to use any photos and to include your name in all media, future promotional materials, programs, websites, etc.
2. Order your gown
|TBA||Rental gowns will be available for online ordering|
Online gown orders close
Graduands who attend the Convocation ceremony are required to wear appropriate academic dress and must obtain hoods for the degree they’re receiving — not for a degree they already hold. Gowns and hoods are available for rent and should be ordered prior to the time of assembly. They can be picked up on site at Merlis Belsher Place before your ceremony. If you forget to rent a gown, you can rent one on site prior to your ceremony.
3. Order your degree frame
There are four ways to purchase your degree frame. Complimentary framing will be available onsite at Merlis Belsher Place.
- Purchase online for delivery any time with delivery directly to your home.
- Purchase online for pickup at convocation.
- In person at Merlis Belsher Place: Purchase your frame onsite after each ceremony. Inventory may be limited.
- In Person, year-round: Purchase a frame at Shop usask Preston Crossing or Shop usask Bookstore all year round.
4. Order graduation flowers
Fresh roses will be available for purchase at Merlis Belsher Place during convocation. To reserve a bouquet, order online and pick it up when you get to Merlis Belsher Place.
Class of 2020 t-shirts will also be available at convocation ceremonies while supplies last.
Under s.23(2)(h) of the The Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the University of Saskatchewan has the authority to publish and release information pertaining to the degrees, certificates or diplomas received by individuals. If you are concerned about your name being published in the Convocation program, the StarPhoenix Convocation edition, college websites or publications, etc., please formally submit your reasons why to the University Registrar, E34-105 Administration Place, Saskatoon, SK, S7N 5A2. Generally, names will only be removed for reasons related to the personal safety of the individual.
What you need to know for Convocation day
See the Schedule of events to know when to arrive and be ready.
- Arrive early, at least 90 minutes before your ceremony to avoid long lines when picking up your gown and hood.
- Parking is available near Merlis Belsher Place (see detailed parking and payment options below)
- Be backstage at Merlis Belsher Place place 45 minutes before your ceremony starts and be fully dressed in your academic regalia.
- You will only walk the stage once per ceremony for your highest degree-level parchment obtained. At this time, all degrees and certificates will be awarded from that ceremony.
- Only graduating students are eligible to cross the stage during the ceremony.
- Each ceremony usually runs no longer than 2 1/2 hours.
- Clothing, degree frames and graduation gifts will be available to purchase at the ceremony.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 306-966-6735.
Parking lot locations and payment
Parking lot options
- Lot 20, located in front of Merlis Belsher Place, $5 (four hour limit)
- Lot 15, at the corner of College Drive and Preston Ave, $5 (four hour limit)
- Stadium Parkade ($2.50 per hour with a $12.50 maximum)
Please do not park in the Field House parking lots. You will be ticketed if you park there while attending Convocation.
Parking payment options
Pre-paid convocation parking pass
Avoid day-of parking payment lineups by purchasing a convocation parking pass for $4. Purchase the pass from Parking and Transportation Services, located at 72 Campus Drive, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Purchasing a pre-paid parking pass does not guarantee you a spot in any parking lot. Please arrive early for your ceremony.
Download or login to the PayByPhone app, find the location number of the lot you are in (indicated in the lot) and pay with your smartphone.
Pay at the pay station
Pay stations or meters are located in each public lot and public space.
The photography company Artona takes two pictures of graduates during the convocation ceremony. Previews of these photographs with order information will be emailed to your USask email address within two weeks of the ceremony—view and order your photos. For more information, read Artona’s What to Expect at Convocation blog entry, live-chat with Artona customer support at artona.com, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-668-3866.
Degrees in absentia
Graduands are expected to attend the Convocation ceremony to receive their parchments in person. If you cannot attend, you will receive your parchment in the mail about a month after convocation. Please ensure that your mailing address is up-to-date in PAWS.
If you prefer to pick up your degree in person after convocation, please email us and ask to have your degree withheld from the mail out.
Schedule of events
Schedule details will be announced when they are available.
After you graduate
Apply to a new program
Are you planning to further your education and return to the college from which you are now receiving your degree, or a different one? If so, you must submit a new admission application through PAWS.
Graduate Retention Program
After graduation, you may be eligible for a tax exemption of up to $20,000.
The Office of Alumni Relations wants to keep in touch as you go off and do great things.
Parchment replacements and duplicate copies
In the event that you require a copy or replacement of your parchment, the University of Saskatchewan will provide a second copy of a parchment at a cost of $50 under the following circumstances:
- Official name change: you must complete the parchment replacement form and provide a copy of supporting documentation (e.g. birth certificate, marriage license).
- Original incorrect: you must return the original document along with supporting documentation and the parchment replacement form. To prevent this from happening, ensure that your legal name as you want it to appear on your parchment is up-to-date in PAWS. See the bio section under my profile located on the right top corner.
- Original lost or destroyed: You must submit a parchment replacement form and a reprint fee of $50.
- Original never received: submit a written statement of request. There will be no charge if this request is made within one year of the graduation date. If the request is made after one year, the $50 reprint fee must be submitted.
- Duplicate copies: you may also order duplicate copies of your parchment.
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) conversion to a Juris Doctor (J.D.): you must submit the parchment replacement form and the reprint fee of $50. More details about the JD designation can be found on here, on the College of Law website.
- If you graduated prior to 2011, replacement or copied parchments will be in the current U of S style with current signatures.
- Your parchment is a legal document. The University of Saskatchewan reserves the right to limit the number of copies issued to any one person.