International students

As you prepare to start your studies at USask as an international student, there are some additional tasks you must complete. Our International Student Guide and the team at the International Student and Study Abroad Centre are here to help!

Connect with us

Become familiar with PAWS

PAWS, your personalized access to web services at the University of Saskatchewan (USask), is a customizable web environment used by all students, faculty, staff, alumni and other members of the university community. PAWS is where you'll access class registration, tuition and fees, scholarships and bursaries, textbooks and more.

After you have been admitted, use PAWS to update your profile with the university, including your preferred name, email aliases and contact information.

You should have received your network services identification (NSID) and a temporary password when you applied for admission. If you forget your NSID or password, contact the ICT Service Desk at 306-966-2222 or 1-800-966-4817 (toll free in Canada).

Check your USask email

The university keeps in contact with you through your USask email account, which is created automatically when you are admitted to the university.

Check your email regularly by logging into PAWS, where your email and calendar are accessible in the main menu, or set up your smartphone or other device to receive your USask email directly.

Download the USAFE app

USAFE is the university's safety app, which features emergency contacts, safety tips, a personal safety tools, maps and much more.

Choose your classes

Learn which courses you need for your program

How to understand your program and course requirements

Learn about the requirements for your program using the Course and Program Catalogue, including:

  • the number of credit units you must earn,
  • the required courses you will need to take, and
  • the recommended sequence in which courses should be taken, for some programs.

Check in with your college

It is strongly recommended that you check in with an advisor from your college or department as you prepare to start your program, and regularly as you work toward your degree.

Advisors can help you to understand program requirements and can also help you to develop an educational plan that fits your abilities, interests, personal circumstances and goals.

You should also check out the resources and support your college offers to help you get ready for a smooth start in your program:

Welcome to the College of Agriculture and Bioresources! Whether you’re entering your first year or have transferred from another post-secondary institution, our academic advisors offer personalized and confidential guidance to help you succeed. In the College of Agriculture and Bioresources, academic advising is carried out by AgBio Student Services and AgBio faculty advisors.

Congratulations on starting your academic journey in the College of Arts & Science! We have an incredibly diverse range of academic options for you to explore, and our caring community of faculty and staff are here to ensure you get the absolute most out of your time in our college.

Welcome to the College of Education! We're excited to help you get ready, explore teaching area options and choose your classes.

Watch our ten video segments on our 'New to Education info' page and also check out the Dean's message, next steps, student responsibilities and more.

Welcome to the Edwards undergraduate business program! As a new Edwards student, you probably have a lot of questions about how to create your schedule, register for classes and pay your tuition and fees. We encourage you to check in to ensure that you are prepared to begin your studies. Watch recordings of our May 28 and June 4 U-Start sessions.

Welcome to the College of Engineering! As a new student and as you work through your degree, you are encouraged to check in with our advising team in the Engineering Student Centre on a regular basis to plan your program of study, choose courses (including electives) and monitor your academic progress.

Academic advisors in the College of Kinesiology are here to help prospective and current Bachelor of Kinesiology students with questions about admission, registration, course selection, program planning, learning communities, degree completion, scholarships and bursaries and more!

We’re here to help you determine the best path to degree completion and support you on your journey through the program.

Welcome to the College of Law! Are you ready to begin the journey of a lifetime?

Welcome to the College of Nursing! It is time for you to take the next steps in preparation for the exciting journey ahead.

Welcome to St. Thomas More College and the University of Saskatchewan! We hope that your first year will be exciting, challenging and rewarding. There are a few key things that you need to do in order to be successful at university. Check in with us to ensure you have a smooth start to your studies.

If you are planning to take classes outside of Saskatoon--including at our Prince Albert campus, at a regional college, at another off-campus site or through distance education--you will be supported not only by your college, but by local advisors and through distance education supports.

Search for classes and plan your schedule

Once you know the course requirements for your program, you can plan what classes you are going to take in the upcoming terms. We recommend you save your draft class schedules in PAWS using the Plan Ahead tool, which will make registering for classes easier.

Register for classes

It is important to register for classes as early as you can. Access to the registration system opens well before the start of term. Having your class schedule (and some back-up options) prepared will give you the best chance of being able to register for the classes you want.

Watch our video tutorials for step-by-step instructions on how to register for classes, and remember to check in with your college if you have questions about your course requirements or the classes you are interested in.

Ease your transition

Sign up for a Science and Math Prep course

Build confidence in your academic skills in biology, chemistry, mathematics and/or physics. Over three weeks, participate in daily small-group online tutorial sessions hosted by a USask facilitator, and complete online assignments and modules designed to give you a solid foundation for the start of your university degree. You can sign up for up to two courses per session.

Session 1: July 20 to Aug 7, 2020
Session 2: Aug 10 to 27, 2020

Join a Learning Community in the fall term

Learn how to adapt more quickly to university and benefit from the mentorship of successful upper-year students by registering in a Learning Community in your college. In a Learning Community, you will get to know a small group of other new students who will be taking some of the same courses as you—courses that you share an interest in, or courses that are part of your degree requirements.

Participating in a Learning Community is one of the best ways for you to take charge of your learning and develop skills to help you succeed in this new academic environment. It is also a great way to make new friends!

Take a summer class

Summer classes can help you get ahead in your degree program, focus on a tough subject or complete a prerequisite for another course. All 2020 spring and summer classes will be held in an online (remote) delivery mode, enabling students anywhere to access classes from their current location.

These options are particulary popular with first-year students: 

  • INTS 100- Strategies for Academic Success 
  • LING 110 - Introduction to Grammar
  • MATH 102 - Precalculus Mathematics
  • PSY 120 - Biological and Cognitive Bases of Psychology  

Speak with an academic advisor in your college if you have questions about which classes make sense for your degree plan. If you have been admitted to the 2020 Fall Term and would like to switch your start term to the summer, contact the Admissions Office by July 2, 2020 at or 306-966-5788.

Find direction with career coaching

If you are feeling unsure about your career direction or would just like to explore different paths, career coaching is a great option. Meeting with a Student Employment and Career Centre (SECC) career coach can help you:

  • better understand your current career-related issues and situation,
  • articulate your goals and how you want things to be different,
  • identify your strengths, assets and supports,
  • explore different options, possibilities and solutions,
  • make a list of your next steps, and
  • access additional resources and supports.

From the short-term job search to long-term career planning, the SECC offers many in-person and online resources for students and alumni. It’s never too early to start planning for your future career and the SECC is one way you can make sure you’re on track.

Academic accommodation

Accommodation based on disability, religion, family status or gender identity

Access and Equity Services (AES) provides supports for students requiring academic accommodations based on disability (including physical, medical, mental health and learning disabilities), religion, family status (including pregnancy) and gender identity.

Students must register with Access and Equity Services to access services. 

Sign up for a Smart Start workshop in the fall term

Smart Start is a series of academic workshops offered every September to help start the year off right. Workshops are available for both undergraduate- and graduate-level students. Learn about effective time management, study strategies, reading and note-taking, research, poster presentations and more!



Due to the primarily remote delivery of classes for the Fall 2020 semester, Residence will be available to students whose academic programs require in-person attendance.

Students who are currently living in Residence will be allowed to remain on campus regardless of their program delivery method.

Applicants for the upcoming year, whose programs do not require in-person attendance may apply for an exception to live on campus. Exceptions will be considered on a case by case basis and approval is not guaranteed.

Plan your finances

Develop a budget

Planning your finances is an important life skill and it will help you to make key decisions about coming to university such as whether you will need to apply for scholarships and bursaries, apply for student loans, or perhaps get a part-time job.

Tuition and fees

Estimate your tuition and fees

After you register for classes, you will be able to see your assessed tuition and student fees in the Tuition and Fees channels in PAWS.

In addition to tuition, students also pay a variety of fees that are used to fund specific student benefits offered as part of a university education.

Scholarships, bursaries and awards

At USask, we want to recognize your academic and personal accomplishments. Start by learning more about scholarships, bursaries and awards you may be eligible to receive.

External awards

Awards administered by the University of Saskatchewan are not the only awards available to students studying at USask. Students are encouraged to look for awards from other sources, such as clubs and associations. External awards are offered by agencies, governments or other organizations outside the university.


Government student loans and grants can help you finance your education and are interest-free while you are in school full-time.

Lines of credit and bank loans are two ways students can borrow money from financial institutions. A student line of credit gives you access to an agreed-upon amount of money that you can withdraw when needed. A bank loan allows you to borrow an agreed-upon amount of money up-front.

If exploring these options, take the time to do some research, shop around and don't be afraid to ask questions and negotiate.

Crisis financial aid

Crisis financial aid, including crisis loans and grants, is designed to help students through an unexpected, temporary financial crisis. By definition, a student's experiences are considered unexpected if he or she did not know that the situation was coming and could not have planned for it.

Funding for First Nations, Métis and Inuit students

First Nations, Métis and Inuit students may receive specialized funding for post-secondary education.

Work while studying

If you are considering working while going to university, make sure to think carefully about how much time you will have to divide between work, school and social activities. Know yourself and make sure that getting a job won't create any barriers that may impact your studies.

The Student Employment and Career Centre (SECC) provides a wealth of in-person and online resources students can access, including job search tools and tips, career fairs and networking opportunities and sessions to help you prepare for your job search.

International students should be aware of the rules and eligibility requirements for working in Canada.

Take care of student business

Apply for a study permit

If you are an international student who will be studying in Canada for more than six months you must have a valid study permit to remain in Canada while you study as an international student with temporary resident status.

Send your final transcript(s)

Transcripts or report cards are used to calculate your admission average and to determine whether you have met or will meet prerequisite requirements for your program. You are required to submit your transcript(s) to support your application for admission. 

Student ID card

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Campus ID Card Office is closed and student cards are not required at this time.

Activate your U-Pass transit pass

The U-Pass is included in your student fees (at a discounted rate compared to regular transit costs) and gives you unlimited access to Saskatoon Transit services during the school year. Remember to download the mobile Transit app to help you plan your trip and get service alerts on your route before you head out!

Fall Term: U-Pass available in mid-August (will activate in September)
Winter Term: U-Pass available at the end of November (will activate in January)
Spring Term (undergraduate students only): U-Pass available in mid-April (will activate in May)
Summer Term (undergraduate students only): U-Pass available in mid-June (will activate in July)

Apply for a parking permit

If you plan to drive to campus regularly, you can apply for a student parking permit for select lots on or near campus.

  • Fall and Winter Terms: Applications open in PAWS from May to August.
  • Winter Term only: Limited spots may be available—contact Parking and Transportation Services.
  • Spring and Summer Terms: Permits can be purchased from Parking and Transportation Services starting in late April.

Confirm your health coverage

Fall Term

Full-time, on-campus students automatically pay for a health and dental plan provided through their student association (the USSU for undergraduate students and the GSA for graduate students).

  • Opting out: If you are already covered by an equivalent health and/or dental plan or are covered by non-insured health benefits for First Nations and Inuit peoples, you may choose to opt out during the change-of-coverage period. Make sure to compare your existing coverage with the Student Health and Dental Plan before you decide to opt out; it may cover items that have limited coverage or are not covered by your current plan.

  • Opting in: Part-time and off-campus students who are USSU members are not automatically covered, but may choose to enrol in the plan during the change-of-coverage period at the beginning of Fall Term or Winter Term by following the instructions at

Winter Term

If you are a new student starting classes in January, you are not automatically covered by the plan, but you can enrol yourself, your spouse and/or dependants for health and dental coverage.

Change of coverage periods

The change-of-coverage period generally takes place during approximately the first three weeks of the term (September for Fall Term students, January for new Winter Term students). Please check for specific dates as they become available.

International students

Full-time, on-campus students automatically pay for a health and dental plan provided through their student association (the USSU for undergraduate students and the GSA for graduate students). You will need a Saskatchewan health card in order to make a claim on this extended health coverage.

Buy your textbooks online

Your textbook lists will be posted online prior to the start of term and you’ll be able to access them in the My Textbooks channel in PAWS or on the Shop usask Bookstore website after you register for classes.

We recommend you wait until the extended textbook return period for the term starts before you buy any books, in case you need to change or drop any of your classes.

Computer and software discounts

Browse Shop usask online to learn about educational discounts available to USask students on hardware and software.

As a USask student, you also have access to the Microsoft Student Advantage program, through which you can download and install the latest Microsoft Office software at no cost.

International students

One of Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s requirements to enter Canada on a study permit is to show that you have enough money to pay for tuition and living expenses for your first year of study. The immigration office in your country may ask you to deposit this money with USask. Money received by the university will be held in your student account and credited against your tuition.

Join the community

Getting involved

There is more to campus life than class and studying. Remember to take time to take care of yourself, meet new people and have fun.

Check out student associations and campus groups

Student associations are usually based in colleges, schools or departments and are made up of students in similar programs. For example, the Agricultural Students’ Association and Saskatoon Engineering Students’ Society’s famous rivalry is well-known, but no matter which college or program you’re in, there is likely a student association where you can get involved.

Campus groups exist for students interested in a variety of pursuits from social activism, charitable support, or leadership and development to sports, the arts, religion and culture, or pure recreation and everything in between! The University of Saskatchewan Students’ Union (USSU) maintains a list of ratified student groups you can explore, or keep an eye out for them at Welcome Week and other events.

Join a Campus Rec intramural sports team

Campus Rec intramural sports are a great opportunity to keep active while meeting new people and having fun! Whether competitive or non-competitive sports are your thing, there is a Campus Rec league for every experience level.


Volunteering and community involvement are rewarding ways to develop your leadership skills, learn new things, meet new people, experience different career options and gain new experiences.

Connect with Student Central

Student Central provides undergraduate and graduate students with centralized assistance with finances, registration and academic life.

Connect with the Aboriginal Students' Centre

The Aboriginal Students' Centre is dedicated to supporting the academic and personal success of Métis, First Nations and Inuit students. The Centre offers personal, social, cultural and academic support through programs, services and events held throughout the academic year.

Connect with the International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC)

The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) is a resource and campus partner for all students, staff, and faculty. ISSAC is dedicated to fostering a welcoming, globally aware and engaged campus community.

Connect with the Student Wellness Centre

The Student Wellness Centre offers urgent and non-urgent physical and mental health care to USask students and their spouses and children.

Connect with Student Learning Services

Student Learning Services (SLS) aims to help students make the most out of their academic experience at the University of Saskatchewan. SLS contributes to academic success through creating innovative programs, services, and activities.

SLS offers workshops, online resources and tutors to help students with writing, studying, math and stats.

Check out USSU Centres

The University of Saskatchewan Students’ Union (USSU) operates a number of centres for enhancing the student experience. These centres include the Women’s Centre, Pride Centre, Help Centre, and Food Centre. The USSU centres are open to all students, and provide resources, support and services in a warm, positive atmosphere.

Participate in virtual events


U-Start is an online pre-orientation to help new USask students prepare for university.

New students can participate in U-Start by joining online sessions and by engaging in online resources (videos, podcasts, etc.). Online sessions are held May - June.


Orientation is your official welcome to the University of Saskatchewan!

Orientation is held before classes begin in September for new Fall Term students and in January for new Winter Term students. Fall Orientation 2020 will be held online.