Student health and dental plan

Information for international students

Full-time international students registered in the 2020 Fall Term are automatically covered by and billed for applicable portions of the student plan; However, plan benefits are only accessible within Canada. 

Read the Studentcare Frequently Asked Questions document to review your options, and visit for details on the plan's services.

Full-time students taking Saskatoon campus classes in person or remotely (e.g. online) during the 2020 Fall Term automatically pay for a health and dental plan provided through their student association (the USSU for undergraduate students and the GSA for graduate students).

You must have a Saskatchewan health card (or health coverage equal to or greater than that provided by a Saskatchewan health card) in order to make a claim on this extended health coverage.

There are many benefits in your plan:

Coverage is provided by Studentcare. Contact them if you have questions.

Additional coverage

Family coverage

During the change of coverage period, you may enrol your spouse and/or children (under 21 years of age, or 25 if they are still attending school) in the health and/or dental plans by paying an additional family coverage fee.

Opting in to the health and dental plan

The following students are not automatically covered by the plan:

  • Students taking classes at off-campus sites
  • Students who are completing internships, practicums, co-op, exchange and clinical placements in Fall Term
  • Part-time students (enrolled in less than 9 credit units)
  • Students with a disability who are taking a reduced course load 
  • New students who are starting classes in January

You may enrol you, your spouse and/or dependants in the health and dental plan during the change-of-coverage period. Self-enrolments for undergraduate and graduate students must be done online at

Opting out if you're covered by another plan

If you're already covered by another extended health and/or dental plan (i.e. a parent’s or spouse’s employee plan), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.

Or, if you have other equivalent coverage, you can opt out of the health portion, the dental portion, or the plan in its entirety during the change-of-coverage period. You will receive a credit to your student account for the amount of the plan. Students can only opt out of the plans upon showing proof of equivalent coverage. Opt outs must be completed online at the website.

First Nations and Inuit students

To maximize your coverage, First Nations and Inuit students who are covered by Non-Insured Health Benefits (NIHB) from Health Canada can sign up for the student health plan to receive additional health coverage. This additional coverage can be helpful for health, prescription, vision and dental care costs not covered by NIHB.

How to make a claim

Instructions and claim forms are available online at the studentcare website.

Accessing health care

Public health care

Learn about the Saskatchewan Health Card.

Health care in Canada is available for all Canadians, permanent residents and international students who have a provincial or territorial health card.

What do you have access to if you have a provincial or territiorial health card?

No cost to you

  • Appointments with a family doctor or specialist physician
  • Walk in clinic health care
  • Emergency room treatment
  • Hospital treatment if your doctor recommends it
  • Maternity care
  • Investigations ordered by physician 

You will need to pay for

  • Prescription medication
  • Ambulance service (about $350.00)
  • Dental care provided by a dentist
  • Eye tests and glasses or lenses
  • Some vaccinations
  • Services like massage therapy, chiropractor or physical therapy
  • Cosmetic surgeries/procedures
  • Complementary health (traditional Chinese medicine, holistic natural path)
  • Medical appliances/devices
  • Please refer to your undergraduate or graduate student health and dental plan for information on additional coverage

Saskatchewan health cards

If you have moved from another province and you are staying in Saskatchewan for more than 90 days, apply for health insurance as soon as possible. During these 90 days (3 months) your previous province should cover your health care expenses. If not, you should purchase private insurance for those days, to prevent any medical costs.

International and exchange students

Apply for your Saskatchewan health card

Eligibility requirements for you:

Eligibility requirements for your spouse and children:

  • must be living with you at a Saskatchewan residence
  • have immigration documents allowing them to stay longer than six months (visitor record)
  • proof of living at a Saskatchewan residence

Application process:

Apply online at eHealth Saskatchewan 

Include with your application copies of the following documents for you and if applicable, each family member: (see acceptable documents listed on the application)

  1. ONE immigration document (study permit, permanent resident card, Canadian Immigration identification card, etc.)
  2. ONE proof of Saskatchewan residency (lease agreement, utility bill, etc.)
  3. Confirmation of Enrolment letter
  4. Copy of photo page of passport

Contact eHealth Saskatchewan for more information about health coverage and application processes.

Exchange students

If your program is under 6 months and you have not applied for a study permit, you should apply for health insurance in your home country prior to you leaving for Canada.

It is advised that you try to get a study permit even if your  program is under 6 months. You can apply for a study permit at the Canadian embassy or consulate in your country and include a letter that explains why you are applying. The letter will inform the visa officer that you understand your options.

If needed, you can also purchase Guard Me International Insurance at the Language Centre's main office. Please bring your valid University of Saskatchewan student card with you when purchasing.

232 R.J.D. Williams Building
221 Cumberland Ave. N.
Tel: 306-966-4351

You must have a study permit when you apply for a health card. If your duration of your stay is less than 6 months, you might not have one. To avoid expensive medical expenses, travel insurance from the country you are traveling from is recommended.

Accessing health care in Canada