Tax Receipts

The university issues tax slips for tuition, transit fees, scholarships and other employment income as required by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

Tax slips are available in late February for the preceding tax year. Some tax receipts are available online. To access your tax receipts, please choose Get Your Tax Receipts in the Tuition & Fees channel in PAWS.

Keep a printout of your Fee Assessment which shows your Name, Student Number and the Transit Fee assessment. The printout should not be submitted with your tax return but you should keep this printout as proof of purchase in case you are audited by CRA.

Graduate retention program

The Government of Saskatchewan issues post-secondary graduates a tax exemption that can be used toward Saskatchewan Income Tax. The University of Saskatchewan releases graduation information to the Government if students provide their social insurance number in the appropriate section on their Application to Graduate. This indicates that a student has graduated and is eligible to receive the graduate tax exemption.

The Graduate Retention Program is a refundable income tax credit to rebate up to $20,000 of tuition fees paid by eligible graduates. This initiative replaces the previous Graduate Tax Exemption beginning January 1, 2008. Graduates can contact the Government of Saskatchewan to confirm that the University of Saskatchewan has released information pertaining to their graduation. The toll-free number is 1-800-597-8278.

Scholarships, bursaries, or fellowships

The full amount of scholarships, fellowships or bursaries that are received by you as a student with respect to your enrolment in a program that entitles you to claim the education amount are not taxable and do not have to be reported as income on your tax return. If, however, you are not eligible for the education amount, only the part of the post-secondary scholarships, fellowships or bursaries that is more than $500 must be reported on your tax return. 

The University mails students T4A slips listing scholarships, bursaries, prizes, grants and fellowships at the end of February each year. For more information about taxation relating to awards, consult Canada Revenue Agency's online taxation information for students.

Canada income tax

In Canada income tax is administered by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The Canadian income tax year is January 1 – December 31 of every year. You are responsible to determine your tax payable for each taxation year and file an income tax return. If you owe taxes you have to pay it by April 30th for the preceding year. The deadline for filing personal tax is April 30th each year. If you are unable to pay a balance owing, contact CRA to arrange a payment plan.

Since the Canadian tax system is based on residency, not citizenship, most international students have to “file a return” (submit an income tax form to the government).

You must file a return if you:

  • owe income tax to the government;
  • expect an income tax refund from the government;
  • are applying for the GST credit (which provides cash payments to low- and middle-income taxpayers, to help offset the costs of paying GST on taxable purchases);
  • are eligible to receive the child tax credit (for low- and middle-income taxpayers with children); or
  • are asked by the CRA to file a return.  

In most cases you are not required to pay taxes on your money received from scholarships, bursaries, or fellowships.

International Students (Social Insurance Numbers and Individual Tax Numbers)

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires you to have a Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Individual Tax Number for identity for income tax purposes. If you are eligible and would like to apply for a SIN number, please visit the Service Canada website for more information. If you are ineligible to get a SIN (you are not working on campus and don’t hold a work permit), you will need to apply for an Individual Tax Number using form Application for a CRA Individual Tax Number for Non-Residents. The earlier you do this the better as it will save you time when completing a tax return.  Once you have your Individual Tax Number, you can apply for your GST credit.

If you do not have a SIN or ITN when you are ready to file your tax return, send an ITN application together with the tax return, using the address on the ITN form.

Tax Credits

Students may claim the following as tax credits on their Income Tax Returns:

  • Fees exceeding $100.00
  • An education credit for each month (excluding paid work placements) during which a student was in full-time or part time registration. Consult the current taxation guide for further details at
  • Some ancillary fees. Consult the current taxation guide for further details.
  • USSU Saskatoon Transit Fee*
GST Credit

A 5% goods and services tax (GST) is levied on most items and services for sale in Canada; and 5% provincial sales tax (PST) in Saskatchewan. A GST credit is available to help lower income families handle the cost of paying the sales tax.

International Students - If you are considered a resident in Canada for tax purposes you may be eligible to receive this credit when you arrive in Canada and each year you are a resident. Apply as soon as you arrive in Canada for the year you become a resident of Canada for tax purposes and apply again each year on your annual income tax return.There is also a credit calculated for the PST with the GST credit.

Canadian Child Tax Benefit

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. A temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month  may be eligible to apply .  Eligibility information and applications can be found on Canada Revenue’s site.