Graduate awards

The Graduate Awards Database lists all award opportunities the CGPS oversees. In addition, departments, colleges, and donors from outside the university offer awards throughout the year. Use the form below to find specific awards.

Each entry provides information about the funding opportunity - eligibility criteria, the application deadline and instructions for how to apply. Search by keywords (e.g., Indigenous, SSHRC etc.) to find opportunities. Most awards are open to both international and domestic students.

In addition to these awards, the University supports graduate students through teaching, research, and service fellowships and assistanceships. For these, contact your graduate chair or graduate administrator for details.

NSERC - Undergraduate Student Research Awards Program (USRA)

ValueThe NSERC USRA is intended to offset a portion of the salary costs of hiring a USRA recipient. Universities are required to supplement the amount of the award to comply with Saskatchewan’s provincial employment standards using other sources, such as university funds, NSERC grants, or any other research funds.
Number offeredVaries

Research Acceleration and Strategic Initiatives (RASI) cordially invites undergraduate students and faculty supervisors to submit applications for the 2022 NSERC USRA (Undergraduate Student Research Awards) USask competition by Tuesday, February 1, 2022 by 4:30 p.m. CST.

For details on eligibility, changes to the NSERC USRA supervisor supplement, application instructions and other details including instructions for department heads, please view the attached letter.

For an overview of the NSERC USRA program, expectations and guidelines, please visit the NSERC USRA website.

Questions may be directed to Merle Massie, coordinator undergraduate research initiatives, at or to the Undergraduate Research Initiative at

ApplyYou can apply to more than one university. You must apply with the support of a faculty member at the university where you would like to hold the award. However, please note that it is the university's choice whether to accept candidates from other institutions.

The department is responsible for sending a list of approved applicants to Research Acceleration and Strategic Initiatives by the deadline. Check with the department any additional requirements.

1. To apply for these awards, you must work with a faculty supervisor to complete and submit your application using NSERC’s On-line System. This application requires submissions from both the student and the supervisor. Refer to the instructions for completing Form 202 Part I.

2. You must upload a scanned copy of your official transcripts from all universities you have attended (including transfer credits). The scanned copy must meet the following specifications:
  • PDF format
  • Maximum file size of 3 Mb
  • 8 ½” x 11” (216mm x 279mm)
  • Must be clear and legible
  • Must include the transcript key
3. After you have completed the first two steps, inform your supervisor of the reference number of your application and ask them to fill out Form 202 Part II. Refer to the instructions for completing Form 202 Part II.

Research Acceleration and Strategic Initiatives
Office of the Vice-President Research
DeadlineFebruary 1, 2022 at 4:30pm CST

Other awards websites

The above search form only contains awards available to graduate students at the University of Saskatchewan. See below if you are looking for undergraduate awards or those offered by external agencies.