If you have concerns with how your instructor marked an exam, essay or other work, you are encouraged to informally contact your instructors(s) responsible for the evaluation before seeking a review under formal procedures. This informal consultation should take place as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days after the instructor makes the grades available to the students in the class.

Formal Re-assessment (re-read)

To initiate a formal re-assessment after the informal consultation with the instructor(s) has taken place and you remain unsatisfied, you should complete the Request for and Report of Re-assessment Form. This request must be made within 30 days from the time you have had your informal assessment results. The result of a re-reading procedure initiated by the re-assessment form is final; there is no further appeal.

Re-Read Fee: $20 to be paid directly to the department (or Dean’s Office in a non-departmentalized College).

Other Matters Relating to Academic Appeals

If, after the formal assessment, you still believe the academic outcome may have been affected by other factors, you may appeal the decision. Please submit a written statement and a request for review to your dean or provost within 30 days from the date you were informed of the decision. The dean or provost shall inform you and the original instructor in writing as to the outcome of the investigation.

University Level Appeal

The University level of appeal addresses issues that arise from alleged discriminatory treatment, harassment, or failure to follow university policy and procedures. The university level appeal should be made within 30 days from the date of the most recent appeal made by the student. The appeal form should be submitted to the University Secretary, the Dean of the college in which the situation occurred, the faculty member responsible for the course to which the allegation relates, and the Dean of the college in which the student is enrolled. This appeal is not designed to result in a change of grade, but to address issues surrounding the situation in question. However, in many cases, special considerations will be granted if a student’s academic standing has been compromised.

For complete details on the appeal process, please consult the procedures for Student Appeals in Academic Matters and the Chart of Student Appeal Processes


A separate set of procedures exists for graduate students appealing academic standing or status; these students should be advised to consult informally wherever possible with the individual(s) that evaluated the work or performance. This informal consultation should take place as soon as possible, but in any event, not later than 30 days after the assessment has been made available to the students in the class.

Following informal consultation with the instructor (where feasible), a graduate student who has a concern or question about the evaluation of her or his work or performance should consult with the graduate chair of the program or the dean of graduate studies and research before invoking formal procedures. If, after these consultations, the student is unsatisfied, they may petition the graduate academic affairs committee of the College of Graduate Studies and Research for a formal ruling on the matter.

Further details can be found in the Student Appeals of Evaluation, Grading and Academic Standing.