How to search for these classes
- In the Class Search or when looking up classes to add from within the Registration channel in PAWS, select the appropriate term (e.g. 2018-2019 Term 1).
- If you're looking up classes to add in PAWS, select Go to Advanced Search to access additional search fields.
- Select the subject(s) in which you are interested.
You can use the Ctrl key to select more than one subject at a time or select all subjects by pressing the Ctrl key + A
- Under Attribute Type, select experiential learning or a specific type of experiential learning: community engaged learning, clinical placement/practicum, field–based instruction, study abroad or undergraduate research.
- The class search results that are displayed will be those with an experiential learning component. You can read the course description for more information.
Learning by doing
The U of S currently places priority on these five types of experiential learning:
- undergraduate research where students have the opportunity to conduct original research within a credit course,
- field-based instruction where the learning takes place outside of the classroom or laboratory and is an opportunity to apply and develop practical skill or conduct discipline-related research,
- community engaged learning as a method to engage students with community partners in a mutual beneficial and negotiated curricular experience,
- clinical placement or practicum as a structured educational strategy that provides for the integration of theory and practice, and
- study abroad as an inclusive category for student exchange programming or taught away activity that is offered for credit.