What to expect
The New Student Welcome is a free program hosted by the Aboriginal Students' Centre in late August for new Métis, First Nations and Inuit students. It’s a great way to get familiar with campus and meet new people before classes start in September.
During the event, new Indigenous students will:
- get an introduction to the uSask campus,
- connect with other first year Aboriginal students,
- learn about services available to students such as: the Aboriginal Students' Centre, Student Central, Student housing and other on campus support services,
- Acquire tools necessary to ensure a smooth transition to life as a student,
- be entered to win great prizes and
- become part of one of the best learning communities in Canada!
Get familiar with the uSask campus and meet new people, including fellow students, academic advisors, instructors and uSask leadership.
There is no cost to attend. The program, meals, and night of accommodation is free. Priority for accommodation is given to students outside of Saskatoon. Students must arrange their own transportation.
Out of town students registered to attend this event will have accommodations at the Holiday Inn on the university campus. This is a great opportunity to see what it is like to live on campus. Students will stay in shared rooms.
Alternatively, if a student will be living in residence for the fall term, they can check-in early to their room for free.*
* Students must be registered in the New Student Welcome event to receive free early check-in.
Students who attend will be entered into a draw to win great prizes.
What to bring
- Casual clothes
- Toiletries (toothbrush, tooth paste, dental floss, hair brush, razor, deodorant, etc.)
- Sunblock, sunglasses, hat
- Rain jacket, umbrella
- Water bottle
- Spending money (for snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Comfortable shoes as our program involves walking
- Note pad
- Backpack or bag to hold material provided to you during the program
- A Hotel room on campus
- A roommate (possibly)
- Private shower facilities
- Lunch, snacks and dinner on first day
- Breakfast, lunch and a BBQ on the second day
- Great Prizes!
For more information, contact:
Student Services Coordinator