What to expect
The New Student Welcome is a free program hosted by the Aboriginal Students' Centre in late August for new Métis, First Nations and Inuit students. It’s a great way to get familiar with campus and meet new people before classes start in September.
During the event, new Indigenous students will:
- get introduced to USask, its purpose, culture, history and the people within our community;
- learn how to access centralized and college-based support services;
- connect with the ASC and other new students in order to create a greater sense of connectedness and community for their first year;
- listen to guest speakers, including Sean Aiken, creator of The One Week Job Project; and
- become part of one of the best learning communities in Canada!
Get familiar with the uSask campus and meet new people, including fellow students, academic advisors, instructors and uSask leadership.
There is no cost to attend. The program, meals, and night of accommodation is free. Priority for accommodation is given to students outside of Saskatoon. Students must arrange their own transportation.
Out of town students registered to attend this event will have accommodations at the Holiday Inn on the university campus. This is a great opportunity to see what it is like to live on campus. Students will stay in shared rooms.
Alternatively, if a student will be living in residence for the fall term, they can check-in early to their room for free.*
* Students must be registered in the New Student Welcome event to receive free early check-in.
Students who attend will be entered into a draw to win great prizes.
What to bring
- Casual clothes
- Toiletries (toothbrush, tooth paste, dental floss, hair brush, razor, deodorant, etc.)
- Sunblock, sunglasses, hat
- Rain jacket, umbrella
- Water bottle
- Spending money (for snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Comfortable shoes as our program involves walking
- Note pad
- Backpack or bag to hold material provided to you during the program
- A Hotel room on campus
- A roommate (possibly)
- Private shower facilities
- Lunch, snacks and dinner on first day
- Breakfast, lunch and a BBQ on the second day
- Great Prizes!
For more information, contact:
Student Services Coordinator