You must E-Mail your immunization records and consent form before you are eligible to be booked for an immunization review with a Registered Nurse.

To ensure you complete your requirements on time please submit your documentation early. The Student Wellness Centre will contact you to book an appointment once your records are reviewed. This can take up to a week.

All students in health science programs are required to have an immunization record completed and up to date to submit to their college. Students that are in a Health Science Program are required to provide documented proof of immunization.  Completion of these requirements is mandatory for you to be able to do your clinical placements.

Health Science Colleges include Medicine, Nursing, Physical Therapy, Dentistry, Dental Assistant Program, Pharmacy, Nutrition, Masters of Public Health and Veterinary Medicine.

Students are to follow the recommendations for Immunizations for health care students as laid out in the most current Saskatchewan Immunization Manual. (Section 6.3 Publicly Funded Vaccines – Healthcare Worker)

We ask that all Health Science students locate their childhood and adult immunization records. Email the records along with your consent form (that is located on your web page – the demographic information on this consent form is needed in order to create your chart and therefore book your appointment) to

You will receive your TST (tuberculin skin test) on day 1, and then have it read 48 to 72 hrs later.  There is a 40 $ charge for this payable by debit or credit card. We are no longer accepting cash.  

Medicine and Physical Therapy students require a 2 step TST, which consists of a TST on day 1, read 48 to 72 hrs later.  IF the TST is negative, it is repeated 1 to 3 weeks later.  There is an 80$ charge for this payable by debit or credit card. We are no longer accepting cash. 

Where can I find my immunization records?

Check with your parents, Public Health in the area where you grew up in, or your Physician’s office.  If your records are not located in Canada, check with any family that may be in the home country.  If you immigrated to Canada as a child, Immigration Canada requires an immunization record signed from a Physician in your country.  Ask your parents for this form.  If you do not or cannot locate any records, you must start your immunizations over – this is costly and timely.  Please make every effort to locate your records.


Completion of the immunization requirements is the responsibility of the student.  This includes locating childhood and adult immunization records, booking appointments for your immunization review (have your schedule ready when you are booking), and any costs associated with the immunization program (we only accept debit card or credit card).  You must submit a copy of the Immunization Record to your College once it has been completed.

Medical Electives require an immunization review and completion of forms.  There is a $20.00 charge for this service.

Your student health plan will cover you for $150.00 worth of vaccine every year

Gardasil – Approximately $180.00 per injection- series of 3

If you are a female born after 1996 and a male born after 2003 you are eligible for free Gardasil vaccine at Public Health.

Tdap (Tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis)- Usually given every 10 years. Given at 26 weeks of pregnancy with each pregnancy. No charge for boosters

Hepatitis A$60.00 for each injection- series of 2

Some individuals are eligible for free Hepatitis A vaccine through public health-talk to your health care provider.

Hepatitis BFree of charge if born after 1984

Twinrix (Hep A/Hep B combined) - Cost approximately $70 each - series of 3

Annual Flu Vaccine (October-March) – Information will be updated yearly in October.

We do not currently provide counseling on travel vaccine information

Flu Vaccine will arrive October 11, 2022!

It is extremely important to get your Flu shot this year to avoid the health care system from becoming overwhelmed by both COVID-19 and Influenza-like Illness.  Flu vaccine is the best way to protect yourself and your family against the flu and prevent its spread.

Book your appointment to get your Flu Shot at the Student Wellness Centre by calling 306-966-5768 or email

To prepare for your Flu shot:

  1. Read the Flu vaccine  information sheet
  2. Bring your health card to your appointment
  3. Wear comfortable clothing that make it easy to access your arm for your flu shot
  4. Be prepared to wait for 15 minutes following your flu shot

Sexual Health

Who should have STI testing done? Anybody who is sexually active!

STI’s can be spread in the following ways:

  • Unprotected vaginal, anal, and oral sex
  • Skin to skin contact with an infected area
  • Kissing an infected area
  • Sharing sex toys
  • Mother’s can share STI’s to their child during pregnancy, labor and breastfeeding

Sex is normal and it is a healthy part of life, so whether you are planning on becoming sexually active or already sexually active make sure you know the best way to keep yourself and your partners healthy and safe.

Young healthy adults are encouraged to complete a routine STI screen yearly. This typically includes a urine sample for chlamydia and gonorrhea and blood tests for HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis C.  However, if you are at higher risk for an STI, we recommend you have more frequent STI screens. Risk factors include multiple partners, unprotected sex, men who have sex with men (MSM) and a previous history of STI.

When you come into the Student Wellness Center for an STI screen, you can expect us to treat you with respect, keep your information confidential and provide you with support as you need. We will ask you some personal questions, this is to assess risk factors and will help us to make appropriate suggestions for you.


The most commonly done STI test is for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea, this is a usually a simple urine sample. Often people will have no symptoms of infection. If you are having symptoms this may include burning when you pee or a new or different discharge from your vagina or penis.

Chlamydia and Gonorrhea can also be found in the rectum and throat. These areas are less commonly infected, and you will likely be asymptomatic. You may be offered a swab to be done on your throat (by a health care provider) or a rectal swab (usually a self-swab) to test for infection in these areas.

We will also offer to send you for bloodwork to test for HIV, Syphilis and Hepatitis C, if you have never been vaccinated against Hepatitis B we will also offer to send you for this test.

All positive STI tests are required to complete a contact tracing form-this is completed in a confidential manner. Any partners you have had in the last 3 months will not be notified of your name, just that they were in contact with someone who tested positive for an STI.

Can I be tested for genital warts (HPV) and herpes (HSV 1 & HSV 2)?

Typically, genital warts and herpes are diagnosed during a physical assessment when you are symptomatic (this means when sores or lesions are present).

*If you would like an appointment for STI screening, please contact the Student Wellness Center at or call (306) 966- 5768. 

Additional Sexual Health Resources:

Saskatchewan Prevention Institute

Saskatoon Sexual Health

Sexual Health Clinic

Pre exposure prophylaxis for the prevention of HIV is a prescribed medication regimen to help reduce infection rates of HIV, it is free to Saskatchewan residents. PrEP is taken daily to help reduce your risk. If you are interested in PrEP or feel that you may be at risk for contracting HIV, please reach out to the SWC for an appointment. PrEP is not right for everyone, but we would be happy to discuss your options.

Some reasons to consider PrEP include:

PrEP is recommended for MSM and transgender women who report condomless anal sex and who have any of following additional risk factors:

  • One or more HIV-positive sexual partner(s).
  • Recent (within 6 months) sexually transmitted infection (STI)
  • Multiple sex partners
  • History of inconsistent or no condom use for anal intercourse

PrEP is not recommended in the context of a closed, stable relationship with single partner if there is a no risk of transmissible HIV.

Heterosexual men or women:

Because HIV prevalence in the general Canadian heterosexual population is low, recommendations are focused on persons in relationships where one partner is HIV positive and the other is HIV negative. If the HIV-positive partner has a significant risk of transmissible HIV and condomless vaginal or anal sex is also reported, then PrEP is recommended for the HIV-negative partner.

For people who use injection drugs, this will usually consist of:

  • Sharing injection equipment
  • Injecting once or more times per day outside of safe injection sites
  • Repeated courses of non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis (nPEP)

Additional resources for PrEP:

PrEP Facts

Pre-exposure Prophylaxis PrEP

Many elements need to be considered by women, men, or couples at any given point in their lifetimes when choosing the most appropriate contraceptive method. These elements include safety, effectiveness, availability (including accessibility and affordability), and acceptability. Voluntary informed choice of contraceptive methods is an essential guiding principle, and contraceptive counseling, when applicable, might be an important contributor to the successful use of contraceptive methods.

In choosing a method of contraception, dual protection from the simultaneous risk for HIV and other STIs also should be considered. Although hormonal contraceptives and IUDs are highly effective at preventing pregnancy, they do not protect against STIs, including HIV. Consistent and correct use of the male latex condom reduces the risk for HIV infection and other STIs, including chlamydial infection, gonococcal infection, and trichomoniasis.

Reversible Methods of Birth Control Include…

Intrauterine Contraception (IUD)

Hormonal intrauterine device (IUD)—This IUD is a small T-shaped device like the Copper T IUD. It is placed inside the uterus by a doctor. It releases a small amount of progestin each day to keep you from getting pregnant. This IUD stays in your uterus for up to 3 to 6 years, depending on the device.

Copper T intrauterine device (IUD)—This IUD is a small device that is shaped in the form of a “T.” Your doctor places it inside the uterus to prevent pregnancy. It can stay in your uterus for up to 10 years.

Hormonal Methods

Implant (Nexplanon) - This hormonal birth control is a small rod inserted under the skin of the upper arm (usually placed in non-dominant arm). This implant releases the hormone etonogestrel and is effective at preventing pregnancy for up to 3 years.

Injection or “shot” (Depo-Provera)—Women get an injection of the hormone progestin every three months. This injection can be administered by a nurse, physician, or pharmacist.

Combined oral contraceptives—Also called “the pill,” combined oral contraceptives contain the hormones estrogen and progestin. It is prescribed by a doctor or nurse practitioner. A pill is taken at the same time each day. If you are older than 35 years and smoke, have a history of blood clots or breast cancer, your doctor may advise you not to take the pill.

Progestin only pill—Unlike the combined pill, the progestin-only pill (sometimes called the mini-pill) only has one hormone, progestin, instead of both estrogen and progestin. It is prescribed by a doctor or nurse practitioner. It is taken at the same time each day. It may be a good option for women who can’t take estrogen.

Patch—This skin patch is worn on the lower abdomen, buttocks, or upper body (but not on the breasts). This method is prescribed by a doctor or nurse practitioner. It releases hormones progestin and estrogen into the bloodstream. You put on a new patch once a week for three weeks. During the fourth week, you do not wear a patch, so you can have a menstrual period.

Hormonal vaginal contraceptive ring—The ring releases the hormones progestin and estrogen. It is prescribed by a doctor or nurse practitioner. You place the ring inside your vagina. You wear the ring for three weeks, take it out for the week you have your period, and then put in a new ring.

Barrier Methods

Diaphragm or cervical cap—Each of these barrier methods are placed inside the vagina to cover the cervix to block sperm. The diaphragm is shaped like a shallow cup. The cervical cap is a thimble-shaped cup. Before sexual intercourse, you insert them with spermicide to block or kill sperm. Visit your doctor for a proper fitting because diaphragms and cervical caps come in different sizes.

Sponge—The contraceptive sponge contains spermicide and is placed in the vagina where it fits over the cervix. The sponge works for up to 24 hours and must be left in the vagina for at least 6 hours after the last act of intercourse, at which time it is removed and discarded.

Male condom—Worn by the man, a male condom keeps sperm from getting into a woman’s body. Latex condoms, the most common type, help prevent pregnancy, and HIV and other STIs, as do the newer synthetic condoms. “Natural” or “lambskin” condoms also help prevent pregnancy, but may not provide protection against STIs, including HIV. Condoms can only be used once. You can buy condoms, KY jelly, or water-based lubricants at a drug store. Do not use oil-based lubricants such as massage oils, baby oil, lotions, or petroleum jelly with latex condoms. They will weaken the condom, causing it to tear or break.

Female condom—Worn by the woman, the female condom helps keeps sperm from getting into her body. It is packaged with a lubricant and is available at drug stores. It can be inserted up to eight hours before sexual intercourse. They may also help prevent STIs.

Spermicides—These products work by killing sperm and come in several forms—foam, gel, cream, film, suppository, or tablet. They are placed in the vagina no more than one hour before intercourse. You leave them in place at least six to eight hours after intercourse. You can use a spermicide in addition to a male condom, diaphragm, or cervical cap. They can be purchased at drug stores.

Fertility Awareness-Based Methods

Fertility awareness-based methods—Understanding your monthly fertility pattern can help you plan to get pregnant or avoid getting pregnant. Your fertility pattern is the number of days in the month when you are fertile (able to get pregnant), days when you are infertile, and days when fertility is unlikely, but possible. If you have a regular menstrual cycle, you have about nine or more fertile days each month. If you do not want to get pregnant, you do not have sex on the days you are fertile, or you use a barrier method of birth control on those days.

Lactational Amenorrhea Method — For women who have recently had a baby and are breastfeeding, the Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) can be used as birth control when three conditions are met: 1) amenorrhea (not having any menstrual periods after delivering a baby), 2) fully or nearly fully breastfeeding, and 3) less than 6 months after delivering a baby. LAM is a temporary method of birth control, and another birth control method must be used when any of the three conditions are not met.

Permanent Methods of Birth Control

Female Sterilization—Tubal ligation or “tying tubes”— A woman can have her fallopian tubes tied (or closed) so that sperm and eggs cannot meet for fertilization. The procedure can be done in a hospital or in an outpatient surgical center. You can go home the same day of the surgery and resume your normal activities within a few days. This method is effective immediately.

Male Sterilization–Vasectomy—This operation is done to keep a man’s sperm from going to his penis, so his ejaculate never has any sperm in it that can fertilize an egg. The procedure is typically done at an outpatient surgical center. The man can go home the same day. Recovery time is less than one week. After the operation, a man visits his doctor for tests to count his sperm and to make sure the sperm count has dropped to zero; this takes about 12 weeks. Another form of birth control should be used until the man’s sperm count has dropped to zero.

Resources for contraception

Contraception in Canada Information

How can I prepare?

  • Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your appointment with a full bladder. You will need to complete paperwork and provide a urine test.
  • We encourage you to drink some water and eat a light meal or snack before you arrive at the clinic.
  • Your doctor or nurse practitioner may suggest you take ibuprofen (Advil) or acetaminophen (Tylenol) before your appointment for your comfort.
  • You may want to plan for a ride home following the insertion, you may feel mildly lightheaded and/or experience some cramping

 How long will the procedure take?

  • You will be in the doctor’s treatment room for approximately 30 minutes.
  • The IUD insertion takes between 5-15 minutes
  • You are welcome to remain lying down for a while following the insertion if you are feeling lightheaded or having some cramping.

 How can I take care of myself after my IUD has been inserted?

  • It is common to have some cramps and spotting after your IUD has been inserted, this may last 1-7 days
  • A warm heating pad or hot water bottle placed over your lower abdomen may help with cramps
  • You may find ibuprofen or acetaminophen helpful - use as directed on the bottle
  • Avoid strenuous exercise for at least 24 hours after insertion
  • Check for IUD strings once each month or as advised by your doctor.

 When can I have sex?

  • You should wait at least 24 hours after your IUD has been inserted.
  • Do not use tampons or douche for at least 24 hours after insertion.

 When will my IUD start to work?

  • Copper IUD – immediately
  • Hormonal IUD - immediately if inserted during your period, otherwise 7 days after insertion. It is recommended to use condoms for the first seven days.

 When should I call the Doctor?

  • If you can’t feel the string or you feel your IUD may have moved out of place
  • You think you may be pregnant
  • You are having heavier than normal period
  • You are having a fever or chills not associated with a cold or flu or a severe headache
  • You have a sharp pain in your belly or pelvis.
  • You are having foul smelling or abnormal vaginal discharge.
  • You are having pain during sex.
  • If the strings are bothering you or your partner-they may need to be trimmed

Your IUD does not protect you against sexually transmitted infections

The use of emergency contraceptive pills is not recommended as a routine form of birth control.
Chart retrieved from

Sometimes unexpected or unplanned situations occur.

If you ever find yourself in a situation where you are concerned about becoming pregnant, you need to know you have some options.

Emergency contraception can be used following unprotected intercourse or after protected intercourse where there was a failure of birth control method, for example a broken condom. There are two different options, these include the emergency contraceptive pill (morning after pill) and the copper IUD. The emergency contraceptive pill can be taken up to 72 hours after intercourse, while the copper IUD can be inserted up to 7 days following intercourse.


For some women pregnancy can be an exiting time, for others it may just not be the right time. It is ok to have several different feelings about your pregnancy and it is ok to learn about your options, whether it is parenting, adoption or abortion.  In any circumstance the Student Wellness Center is here to provide you with support and help you manage over the course of your pregnancy.

If parenting is your choice, the health care providers at Student Wellness will be happy to assist you up to 26 weeks into your pregnancy and then will refer you on to an obstetrician. Following the birth of your child your health care provider will resume providing care for you and your child.

If you are seeking alternative options including termination or adoption you are welcome to come to Student Wellness for support and help with navigating your healthcare at this time.

In addition to Student Wellness there are supports for you within Saskatoon, these include:

The Community Clinic 

Adoption Support Center of Saskatchewan 

Safety & First Aid

Accidents happen, so we have provided you a list of commonly used materials that may be of help to you if you or someone you know has a minor injury. Please seek out medical care if you have a more serious wound, burn, break, or life-threatening emergency.

Wound Care

  • Band Aids – various sizes
  • Antiseptic solution for cleaning wounds
  • Antibiotic ointment (ie, Polysporin)
  • Adhesive tape
  • Cotton balls
  • Elastic bandage – 2-3” width

Medication (These medications are common and safe to use as directed. Please avoid these medications if you have had an allergy or adverse reaction to them in the past)

  • For pain, fever, or headache – Ibuprofen (Advil) or Acetaminophen (Tylenol)
  • For seasonal allergies or minor allergic reaction – an Antihistamine (Reactine, Claritin, Benadryl)
  • For stomach upset or nausea - Gravol (Dimenhydrinate)
  • For sore throat – lozenges

Other supplies to help you manage your minor emergencies

  • Thermometer – digital
  • Disposable hot/cold pack
  • Cotton tip swabs
  • Safety pins
  • Tissue
  • Tweezers
  • Table salt-small container-for throat gargle or wound soak
  • Hand sanitizer
Disinfectant wipes – to clean surfaces.

Anyone who uses opioids, whether obtained by prescription or illegally, is at risk of an opioid overdose.

Know the signs of an opioid overdose:

  • Trouble walking or talking
  • Pinpoint pupils
  • Shallow breathing
  • Slow heartbeat
  • Bluish, cold/clammy skin
  • Seizures

Naloxone reverses the effects of an opioid overdose temporarily and will have no effect if opioids are not present. Naloxone is a safe medication, with few side effects.

It’s important to note that Naloxone treatment itself does not replace the need to seek immediate medical attention. Call 911 immediately if you suspect an overdose.

Take home naloxone kits can be obtained at the Student Wellness Center or Campus Pharmacy free of charge. If you are interested in having a naloxone kit, please contact the Student Wellness Center for information.

If you have or are interested in a take home naloxone kit, please look at this short video: Short video to watch

More information about Saskatchewan’s take home naloxone kits, opioid overdose and the Good Samaritan Act can be found at the following web address.

More information about opioids

Nursing Procedures

Liquid nitrogen therapy, or cryotherapy, is a procedure to remove your wart by freezing it with liquid nitrogen.  The chemical causes a blister to form around your wart, and the dead tissue sloughs off within a week or so. Cryotherapy may also stimulate your immune system to fight viral warts. You may need to return to the Student Wellness Centre for repeat treatments every two weeks until the wart disappears.

What to Expect  

-You may have pain and burning in the treated area for 1-3 days after your procedure.  

-You may have redness and swelling to the area, or you may develop a blister.  The blister may turn black in color. Do not try to remove the blister yourself. This could lead to infection and scarring.  

-A scab may form in the treated area and will take approximately 1-2 weeks to fall off. 

-Changes in pigmentation to the treated area are a possibility. 

-There may be a fee associated with the treatment and this will be discussed with you by your provider. 


-Clean the area with soap and water as you normally would when showering. 

-If the site is prone to irritation, you may cover with a bandage. 

-If you are experiencing pain you may take Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or Ibuprofen (Advil). Follow the dosage recommendations on the bottle.

-If you start to experience signs of infection such as fever, redness, warmth or drainage to the site contact Student Wellness or another health care professional immediately for assessment.  

-Repeat treatment every 2 weeks, or as instructed by your provider. 

-Your provider may instruct you to exfoliate the callous covering your wart with a foot file/pumice stone prior to your next treatment. 

Other Treatment Options 

  • Peeling medicine (salicylic acid). Nonprescription wart removal products are available as a patch or liquid. Usually, you're instructed to wash the site, soak it in warm water, and gently remove the top layer of softened skin with a pumice stone or emery board. Then after the skin has dried, you apply the solution or patch. Patches are usually changed every 24 to 48 hours. Liquid applications are generally used daily. You may need repeated applications on a regular basis over several weeks to months to see results.
  • Freezing medicine (cryotherapy). Nonprescription medicines that freeze the wart include Compound W Freeze Off and Dr. Scholl's Freeze Away. Please be cautious as some wart removers are flammable and shouldn't be used around fire, flame, heat sources (such as curling irons) and lit cigarettes.
  • Duct tape. Using duct tape to remove warts is a harmless but unproven approach. To try it, cover the wart with silver duct tape, changing it every few days. Between applications, soak the wart and gently remove dead tissue with a pumice stone or emery board. Then leave the wart open to the air to dry for a few hours before covering it with tape again.
  • If all other treatments are ineffective, there are other options for wart removal such as cutting out the wart or burning the wart with either laser or electric needle. These other options may have a cost associated with them and can be discussed with your provider.


Diagnosis treatment

How to get rid of warts

UTI’s are a common concern in women of all ages.

Common symptoms include an urge to urinate (pee), burning with urination, urinating small amounts frequently, discomfort in pelvic area and strong smelling, cloudy or blood tinged urine. If you are having any of these symptoms, please call or email the SWC for an appointment.

Here are some tips to help decrease the risk of developing a UTI:

  • Drink plenty of liquids, especially water.Drinking water helps dilute your urine and ensures that you'll urinate more frequently — allowing bacteria to be flushed from your urinary tract before an infection can begin.
  • Drink cranberry juice.Although studies are not conclusive that cranberry juice prevents UTIs, it is likely not harmful.
  • Wipe from front to back.Doing so after urinating and after a bowel movement helps prevent bacteria in the anal region from spreading to the vagina and urethra.
  • Empty your bladder soon after intercourse.Also, drink a full glass of water to help flush bacteria.
  • Avoid potentially irritating feminine products.Using deodorant sprays or other feminine products, such as douches and powders, in the genital area can irritate the urethra.
  • Change your birth control method.Diaphragms, and spermicide-treated condoms can contribute to bacterial growth.

More information

The nurses at the Student Wellness Center are happy to provide injections to students free of charge. The injections include but are not limited to:

  • Depo-provera
  • B12
  • Gardasil
  • Hormone Injections
  • Allergy Shots
  • Miscellaneous Immunizations

You must have a valid prescription from a Physician or Nurse Practitioner in order to receive your injection.

Immunotherapy injections (Allergy shots), are used to decrease the response to specific allergens. Allergies can’t be “cured” but you can significantly decrease your symptoms when exposed to an allergen with immunotherapy injections.

If you are interested in discussing immunotherapy speak with your family physician or nurse practitioner at the SWC, they can refer you to an allergist for further assessment.

Some considerations before starting immunotherapy include

  1. The Cost - Most allergy serum can be quite expensive. Some health plans may cover a portion of the cost of serum.
  2. Time commitment - Allergy injections are progressive; you will often need to follow a schedule of weekly injections until you build up to your maintenance dose. This schedule is individualized for you by your allergist. You will also need to stay in the waiting room at SWC for at least 30 minutes after your injection so the nurses can monitor you and any reaction at your injection site.
  3. How long will I need immunotherapy?

Often it is recommended that allergy immunotherapy continues for 3-5 years, but this determined on an individual basis. 

Once you have seen an allergist and discussed if immunotherapy is right for you, the nurses at the Student Wellness Center would be happy to administer and store your allergy serum.

The nurses ask that you please book an appointment for your allergy injections

You can find more information about immunotherapy here

Earwax (cerumen) is produced in the ear canal. This wax traps dust and other small particles to prevent them from damaging or infecting the eardrum. Normally ears are self cleaning and this wax dries up and falls out of the ear canal on its own. Some people may produce more wax and or may have small ear canals causing excess wax to build up in the ear canal. Earwax can unknowingly be pushed deeper into the canal with the use of Q-tips, ear buds or ear plugs. This will cause the wax to become firm and block the ear canal (Earwax impaction).

Symptoms of earwax impaction include:

  • Difficulty hearing
  • Plugged, pressure or a “full” feeling in ears
  • Ear discomfort or pain
  • Ringing or itching in ears

How is earwax impaction diagnosed?

  • Your health care provider will look in both of your ears with an instrument called an otoscope-this is painless
  • If you require ear syringing, the nurses will provide you with additional instructions after consultation with a physician or nurse practitioner to confirm diagnosis.
Please call the Student Wellness Center to book an appointment for suture removal as directed by your health care provider.
Please book an appointment for a dressing change as needed. If you have instructions provided to you by your health care provider or any special dressings, you require please bring them with you to your appointment at Student Wellness.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you see students on a walk-in basis?

Students who present for walk in services with a non-urgent concern may be asked to book an appointment and return at a later time. In order to reduce your wait time we encourage you to book an appointment when possible.

Some same day/walk-in appointments can be accomodated; however, we can not guarantee this. Please call the Student Wellness Clinic at 306-966-5768 or email for an appointment.

I am planning a vacation; can I get the appropriate travel vaccines at Student Wellness?

We recommend you make an appointment at the International Travel Center if you are planning a trip out of the country. For more information or to book an appointment visit:

The International Travel Center  

They will counsel you on the appropriate immunizations to receive before travel. If you are unable to make an appointment at the travel center there are several pharmacies in the city who can counsel on travel immunizations. There is usually a fee associated with travel immunization counseling.

Can I get a sick note at Student Wellness?

No, we do not provide sick notes for students. If you have missed a lab, class or exam please fill out STUDENT SELF DECLARATION OF ABSENCE found here: Declaration of absence

I don’t have a Saskatchewan Health Card; can I still access the Student Wellness Center?

Yes, however there may be a charge for your visit with a physician ($30.00) and if you require any lab tests (blood work/urine sample) you will incur a charge for this. You may be able to submit your receipts to your personal health insurance plan. If you would like to apply for a Saskatchewan Health Card please visit Apply for a health card

Contact Us & Emergency contacts

If you have a question for the nurses please reach out by email, we will monitor our email throughout the day. We will not provide medical advice but will do our best to assist with your concern and help you navigate the Student Wellness Center.

If you are wanting to book an appointment with your physician or with nursing, please call (306) 966- 5768 or email reception at

If you or someone you know is having an emergency, please call 911.

Call 811 (HealthLine) for non-emergency assistance 

Family Medicine and Urgent Care Clinic on 8th Street

Poison Control Center - 1-866-454-1212 

For emergency treatment advice for people exposed to all kinds of poisons including:

  • Plants
  • Drugs
  • Mushrooms
  • Pesticides
  • Snake and spider bites
  • Household cleaners and chemicals

This confidential service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, all year round.

Mobile Crisis (24/7 access) – (306) 933-6200

Saskatoon Police Service – 76-25th Street East, Saskatoon

911 for emergency

Non-emergency call (306) 975-8300

RUH Emergency Department – 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon