About working off campus

As an international student with a valid study permit, you may be eligible to work off campus while completing your studies.

Temporary policy change to off-campus work

From November 15, 2022, until December 31, 2023, you can work more than 20 hours per week off campus while class is in session if you meet all eligbility criteria for working off campus, and you:

  • are a study permit holder and are studying at a DLI full-time (or part-time during your final academic session), OR
  • have been approved for a study permit but haven’t arrived in Canada yet

In addition, you must meet all these requirements:

  • You must ensure we received your application for this study permit (including extensions) on or before October 7, 2022.
  • You must have an off-campus work authorization on your study permit.
  • You must be either in Canada or coming to Canada by December 31, 2023.


In order to be eligible to work off campus, you must meet all of the following criteria:

Learn more about off-campus work eligibility and allowable hours of work, please visit IRCC online.


If you are going to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) at Service Canada.

What is considered "full-time" at the U of S

Full-time undergraduate students are registered in 9 or more credit [DB1] units per fall term 1 (September to December) and winter term 2 (January to April) semesters. Graduate students must be registered in at least 6 or more credit units per term. For more information about graduate student registration requirements, please contact your respective academic unit.

Amending Study Permit Conditions

Sometimes study permits have the condition that the holder is not authorized to engage in off-campus employment. If you have reviewed the eligible criteria above and you are eligible to work off campus, request to amend your study permit such that it reflects your ability to work off-campus. Learn how to request to amend documents, and apply.

Apply as soon as possible as to not disrupt any potential work opportunities.  You may qualify for urgent processing if you face immediate loss of employment or an employment opportunity. Learn what is required for an urgent processing application

Getting help

Use the International Student Guide to learn about life as an international student at the U of S including immigration matters and information on working and living in Canada.

International Student Guide

If you can't find what you need in the International Student Guide contact The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC). We are here to help! Drop-in advising is available.