Study Permit

Proof of financial support

To obtain a study permit to attend the University of Saskatchewan, you must meet the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requirement to have enough money, arranged in advance and available to you in Canada, to cover tuition and living expenses for your first year of study, as well as return transportation to your home country. 

The financial support requirement is normally:

  1. Tuition for the first year - $13,000 to $17,000
  2. Living expenses - approximately $10,000. This amount increases if your spouse or children accompany you to Canada.

To protect students, funders, and the university, and to comply with Canada's anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing regulations, changes are coming to the international student deposit service. While we review that service, we will not accept international student deposits. Instead, please use one of IRCC's accepted methods of proving financial support.

Make sure you are informed of up-to-date study permit requirements and acceptable proof of financial support.

Students with existing deposits

Confirmation letter

When the university has received both your funds transfer and your Information Form, we will confirm to the embassy that your deposit has been recieved. You will received a copy of the letter by emaiil.

Payment applied to your Student Account

We hold your deposit until you have registered in classes and arrived in Saskatoon. Please visit Student Finance and Awards at Student Central to provide your identification, at which point we can transfer funds into your student account to cover a year's tuition and fees. The amount held for tuition and fees will not be refunded to you for any reason while you are still in Canada. The university does not charge any service fee, nor do we pay any interest on the deposit.

Living expenses

Because the International Student Deposit is intended to fulfil the IRCC requirement that you have money available to live during your first year at the University of Saskatchewan, the university will refund $5,000 to you at the beginning of each term until the deposit is exhausted. To protect you, your funder, and the university, and to comply with anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing regulations, we will not issue a lump sum refund.

Transfer to another institution

If you transfer to another educational institution in Canada, we will transfer your remaining depost to that institution. It is your responsibility to provide the necessary information in addition to confirmation of registration from the institution to which you are transferring.


In the event that you do not come to Canada, we will refund the deposit to the source identified on the original Information Form. You must first provide these documents to Student Finance and Awards:

  • a letter from the embassy indicating that your study permit application was denied or withdrawn.
  • a completed Request for Refund form.


The Bursar

Student Finance and Awards

University of Saskatchewan
105 Administration Place
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A2

Phone: 306-966-4595
Fax: 306-966-6730