Attend another university for one or two terms while gaining transfer credit toward your U of S degree.
U of S classes abroad
Take one class or an entire term of U of S classes overseas.
Unique programs including interships, volunteer opportunities, or conferences.
Full-time undergraduate and graduate students who will be participating in a conference, U of S study abroad program, competition or other formal academic activities can apply for the University of Saskatchewan Student Travel Award. Funding is available for individuals and groups in three categories.
Funding is provided to eligible applicants on first-come, first-served basis so you may submit your application as soon as your abstract has been approved and/or your attendance has been confirmed. The deadline for Student Travel Award applications is one month before the estimated start of the conference, event or other activity. For more information, see the application form or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The International Research Office helps fund various research projects abroad. Graduate students are encouraged to check the International Research Office website for funding for their studies abroad.
For more information about other travel awards, please use the Scholarships search engine below.
Generally, exchange students can continue to receive and/or apply for U of S scholarships. Please be sure to check the specific terms of your current scholarship to ensure that you are in compliance. Student loans may also be available to students going abroad.
AgBio students are eligible to apply for an Education Enhancement Grant to help support their study abroad. A limited number of Education Enhancement Grants are available to assist students in the College of Agriculture and Bioresources to participate in worthwhile educational experiences. In addition to funding through the college enhancement fund, the following travel awards are available.
The David Christensen International Travel Fellowship Fund to provide travel fellowships that support and assist undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the college to participate in college-sponsored international development projects.
The Gillian Hughes Memorial Travel Fellowship to financially assist upper year undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture specializing in an area of plant sciences to study abroad for at least one term at an established university in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or elsewhere in Europe.
The Frank Sosulski Memorial Travel Award Fund to assist graduate students in Agriculture and Bioresources to participate in regional, national or international conferences or projects.
- James Barney Smyth International Study Abroad Award (open to undergraduate students): For Arts & Science undergraduate students who have been accepted to participate in a Study Abroad program.
- Gail Appel Fund for Study Abroad (open to undergraduate students): For students pursuing a degree in the College of Arts & Science who have been accepted to participate in a study abroad program.
- Hannon Travel Scholarships (open to undergraduate students): For graduating English honours students. Competitive with Theology and Nutrition & Dietetics by virtue of travel proposal.
- Vivian Williams Morton and Arthur Silver Morton Memorial Travel Scholarship (open to undergraduate students): For 4th year undergraduate students in History/Anthropology, Political Studies and Native Studies. For travel related to research.
- Maureen Rever-DuWors Biology Studies Travel Award (open to undergraduate students):Awarded annually to an undergraduate student in BSc in Biology who wishes to participate in a program of field studies or study abroad.
- Conference Travel Awards (open to graduate students): For full-time Masters and Doctoral Grad students and Post-Doctoral Fellows. Must be presenting a paper or poster at a national or international conference or scientific workshop.
- Global Health Research and Travel Awards (open to undergraduate and graduate students): Financial support for faculty, residents, graduate and undergraduate students for their research and learning experiences in developing countries.
- Toxicology Graduate Student Association Travel Award (open to graduate students): For all students in the Toxicology Graduate Program. Preference will be given to those who have not attended out of province conferences during their current degree program. A student can only receive this award once.
- The H.B (Bruno) Schiefer Student Travel Award (open to graduate students): For students who are registered full-time with the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Must be presenting research findings from the U of S toxicology grad work at scientific meetings.
Hanlon Centre Financial Subsidy for International Business Education (open to all students): A financial subsidy to help students participate in international business education & experiential learning opportunities. Preference for students in Edwards School of Business.
Government of Canada Funding
The Canadian Government provides different funding sources for students to take their education abroad. Find out more by visiting the following websites:
Funding open to graduate students:
- Comprehensive funding search engine by country
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Institute Community Support Travel Awards
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Funding Guide for Students
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Funding Opportunities
- Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships Program
Tri-agency funding information (joint NSERC-SSHRC-CIHR programs) (open to graduate students and post-graduate fellows):
Other External Funding
- Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada International Programs
- CasaSwap - Student Grant Program
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan (CSFP)
- Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)– Financial assistance for studies abroad
- Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute -- Travel Awards for Senior Level PhD Students
- Entomological Society of Saskatchewan -- Travel Award
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award for undergraduate and graduate research in Brazil, China, India, Mexico, Turkey and Vietnam
Region-specific international research grants:
- International Development Research Centre (IDRC) awards and fellowships
- Canada-Africa Research Exchange Grants
- India Partnership Development Activities
- Research Grants (German)