USask Student Travel Award
Due to COVID-19 and suspension of student travel, the Student Travel Award has been approved to support Virtual Conferences in Canada or abroad. Full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are required to pay any form of fees to attend virtual conferences can apply.
- A student can submit more than one application but reimbursement will be for relevant payments made, up to a total and maximum amount of $550 a year.
- Proof of relevant payment(s) made by student MUST be submitted together with the application.
- A graduate student MUST present at a virtual conference to be eligible for the award
- Students who paid to attend virtual conferences in fall of 2020 (September to December 2020) can also apply.
Global Engagement Scholarships
Due to COVID-19 and the ongoing suspension of all university related student travel outside of Canada, the Global Engagement Scholarships fund has been approved to support the following.
Students interested in taking academic online programs in the 2021 winter, spring/summer or fall terms.
- Students must be participating in an online program offered by one of USask’s bilateral exchange partners as either a visiting student (on a Letter of Permission) or a bilateral exchange student.
- Students must be able to provide proof of expenses incurred relating to participation in the program and will be reimbursed up to $500 for costs incurred:
- Registration fees
- Coursework must be approved for transfer credit, whether through a Letter of Permission or Letter of Course Credit Confirmation.
USask Global Engagement in the Virtual Classroom
Student registered in courses that meet the following criteria can qualify for up to $500 towards their USask tuition and fees:
- The course is a credit course with registration at the University of Saskatchewan
- The course engages USask students online with students from one or more institutons outside of Canada
- The course curriculum is co-developed by instructors from two or more institutions
International Research Travel
Graduate students who have strong reasons to undertake research or data collection abroad and who have secured an exemption to travel may apply for this scholarship. Students are eligible for $1,000 per academic year.
Canada Learning Initiative in China
Are you interested in studying in China?
Check out the heavily subsidized study abroad opportunities available through the Canada Learning Initiative in China (CLIC).
European Union Erasmus + Scholarships
The Erasmus + Programme is the EU's programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Students can apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship to a University of Saskatchewan partner institution and participate in a heavily subsized semester abroad.
For more information about the Erasmus+ scholarships at specific insitutions please visit the host institution website below:
Deadline to apply: Competition currently closed
College Specific Awards
Gail Appel Global Citizenship Award - This award is designed to recognize one U of S student enrolled in any college for a high academic achievement while exemplifying the qualities of global citizenship within or outside the university. The value of this annual award is $1,000.
Agriculture and Bioresources
The Gillian Hughes Memorial Travel Fellowship to financially assist upper year undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture specializing in an area of plant sciences to study abroad for at least one term at an established university in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or elsewhere in Europe.
The Frank Sosulski Memorial Travel Award Fund to assist graduate students in Agriculture and Bioresources to participate in regional, national or international conferences or projects.
Arts and Science
- James Barney Smyth International Study Abroad Award - two annual application deadlines
- Gail Appel Fund for Study Abroad - two annual application deadlines
- Maureen Rever-DuWors Biology Studies Travel Award
- Joseph Zlacky Scholarship
- McEwen Fund for Study Abroad
- John Russell Kowalchuk Awards in Ukrainian Studies
College of Medicine
- Global Health Research and Travel Awards (open to undergraduate and graduate students): Financial support for faculty, residents, graduate and undergraduate students for their research and learning experiences in developing countries.
- The H.B (Bruno) Schiefer Student Travel Award (open to graduate students): For Toxicology graduate students who are registered full-time with the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Must be presenting research findings from the U of S toxicology grad work at scientific meetings.
- Graduate Students Post Doctoral Fellow Conference Travel Awards: For graduate students presenting at conferences.
Edwards School of Business
Go Global Awards (Hanlon Centre): The Hanlon Centre offers "GoGlobal Student Subsidies" to help Edwards students participate in international business education and experiential learning opportunities.
College of LawThe Law Foundation of Saskatchewan's Exchange/Internship Program: Open to students pursuing a Juris Doctor degree at the University of Saskatchewan.
Government of Canada Funding
The Canadian Government provides different funding sources for students to take their education abroad. Find out more by visiting the following websites:
Funding open to graduate students:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Funding Guide for Students
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Funding Opportunities
- Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships Program
Tri-agency funding information (joint NSERC-SSHRC-CIHR programs) (open to graduate students and post-graduate fellows):
Other External Funding
- CasaSwap - Student Grant Program
- Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)– Financial assistance for studies abroad
- Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute -- Travel Awards for Senior Level PhD Students
- Entomological Society of Saskatchewan -- Travel Award
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award for undergraduate and graduate research in Brazil, China, France, India, Mexico and Tunisia
- Mitacs Elevate for postdoctoral projects
Country Specific Funding
|Iceland||The Iceland Travel and Study Award - Open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the U of S. One award of $2,000.|
|Korea||Foreign Government Awards - Korea|
|Norway||High North Fellowship Program|
|Switzerland||ThinkSwiss Research Scholarships|