Global Engagement Scholarships
Students interested in taking online programs in the 2020 fall term. Eligibility:
- Students must be participating in an online program offered by one of USask’s bilateral exchange partners as either a visiting student (on a Letter of Permission) or bilateral exchange student.
- Students must be able to provide proof of expenses incurred relating to participation in the program will be reimbursed up to $500 for costs incurred:
- Registration fees
- Coursework must be approved for transfer credit, whether through a Letter of Permission or Letter of Course Credit Confirmation.
Graduate students who have strong reasons to undertake research or data collection abroad and have secured an exemption to travel. Students are eligible for $1,000 per academic year.
USask Student Travel Award
The purpose of this fund is to provide financial assistance to full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are participating in a conference, traveling outside of Saskatchewan to obtain a visa or study permit to study abroad, competition or extra-curricular (not for credit) activities off-campus in Canada or abroad. Please note that if you are planning to participate in an academic study abroad program, you should submit an application for the Global Engagement Scholarship instead.
Applications must be submitted no later than one month before the start date of the planned activity, with the exception of trips to obtain a visa or study permit to study abroad. Due to a high number of applicants, all applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis. Only complete applications will be accepted. Students are eligible to receive one Student Travel Award every 12 months. Please read the Terms and Conditions in the application portal for more information.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 and suspension of student travel, ISSAC is currently not accepting applications (online application portal is temporarily closed). The portal will be reopened once international travel suspensions are lifted.
Canada Learning Initiative in China
Are you interested in studying in China?
Check out the heavily subsidized study abroad opportunities available through the Canada Learning Initiative in China (CLIC).
European Union Erasmus + Scholarships
The Erasmus + Programme is the EU's programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Students can apply for an Erasmus+ scholarship to a University of Saskatchewan partner institution and participate in a heavily subsized semester abroad.
For more information about the Erasmus+ scholarships at specific insitutions please visit the host institution website below:
Deadline to apply: Competition currently closed
College Specific Awards
Gail Appel Global Citizenship Award - This award is designed to recognize one U of S student enrolled in any college for a high academic achievement while exemplifying the qualities of global citizenship within or outside the university. The value of this annual award is $1,000.
Agriculture and Bioresources
The Gillian Hughes Memorial Travel Fellowship to financially assist upper year undergraduate students pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture specializing in an area of plant sciences to study abroad for at least one term at an established university in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom or elsewhere in Europe.
The Frank Sosulski Memorial Travel Award Fund to assist graduate students in Agriculture and Bioresources to participate in regional, national or international conferences or projects.
Arts and Science
- James Barney Smyth International Study Abroad Award - two annual application deadlines
- Gail Appel Fund for Study Abroad - two annual application deadlines
- Maureen Rever-DuWors Biology Studies Travel Award
- Joseph Zlacky Scholarship
- McEwen Fund for Study Abroad
- John Russell Kowalchuk Awards in Ukrainian Studies
College of Medicine
- Global Health Research and Travel Awards (open to undergraduate and graduate students): Financial support for faculty, residents, graduate and undergraduate students for their research and learning experiences in developing countries.
- The H.B (Bruno) Schiefer Student Travel Award (open to graduate students): For Toxicology graduate students who are registered full-time with the College of Graduate Studies and Research. Must be presenting research findings from the U of S toxicology grad work at scientific meetings.
- Graduate Students Post Doctoral Fellow Conference Travel Awards: For graduate students presenting at conferences.
Edwards School of Business
Go Global Awards (Hanlon Centre): The Hanlon Centre offers "GoGlobal Student Subsidies" to help Edwards students participate in international business education and experiential learning opportunities.
College of LawThe Law Foundation of Saskatchewan's Exchange/Internship Program: Open to students pursuing a Juris Doctor degree at the University of Saskatchewan.
Government of Canada Funding
The Canadian Government provides different funding sources for students to take their education abroad. Find out more by visiting the following websites:
Funding open to graduate students:
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Funding Guide for Students
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) Funding Opportunities
- Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships Program
Tri-agency funding information (joint NSERC-SSHRC-CIHR programs) (open to graduate students and post-graduate fellows):
Other External Funding
- CasaSwap - Student Grant Program
- Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC)– Financial assistance for studies abroad
- Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute -- Travel Awards for Senior Level PhD Students
- Entomological Society of Saskatchewan -- Travel Award
- Mitacs Globalink Research Award for undergraduate and graduate research in Brazil, China, France, India, Mexico and Tunisia
- Mitacs Elevate for postdoctoral projects
Country Specific Funding
|Iceland||The Iceland Travel and Study Award - Open to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the U of S. One award of $2,000.|
|Korea||Foreign Government Awards - Korea|
|Norway||High North Fellowship Program|
|Switzerland||ThinkSwiss Research Scholarships|