Review your legal name on record

Students should apply to the University of Saskatchewan (USask) with their legal name as it appears on their government-issued identification.

Check the legal name USask has on record for you in PAWS:

  1. Log into PAWS
  2. Select your name at the top right-hand corner
  3. Choose My Profile
  4. Check your name in the Bio section under Name

This name will be used on all official documentation produced by the university, including:

  • Official transcript
  • Letters of attestation
  • Parchments
  • Tuition and fee reports
  • Tax receipts
  • Reports to government

Changing your legal name

Minor name edits

For minor edits to fix a spelling mistake or a typo in your name, contact Student Central using the Student Central inquiry form, and include documentation that confirms the correct spelling of your name. Acceptable documentation includes a copy of your driver's license, passport or health card. 

Legal name change

To change your legal name, bring government-issued documentation reflecting your name change and a completed name change form to Student Central.

Please bring a copy of the documentation that shows your full legal name (Driver's License, Passport, Non-Driver Photo ID, Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card, EHealth Saskatchewan Certificate of Change of Name)

Changing your preferred, non-legal, first name

If you go by a different first name than what appears on your government-issued identification, we can use that name on:

  • Your student ID card
  • Class lists for instructors
  • PAWS
  • Degree Works
  • Blackboard 

To enter your preferred name in PAWS:

  1. Log into  PAWS
  2. Select your name at the top right hand corner
  3. Choose My Profile
  4. In the Bio section, select edit
  5. Enter your preferred name

This change will take 24 hours to come into effect. Making a change to your preferred first name does not change your legal name. 


Please contact Student Central for help.