Pre-arrival and Arrival

The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) is here to assist all international undergraduate, graduate and exchange/visiting students and their families in their transition to the university and Saskatoon.

After your arrival in Saskatoon, please visit ISSAC to receive arrival infomation, learn about our social events and to access settlement support and referrals.  We are looking forward to seeing you at the University of Saskatchewan

Prepare for your arrival: Moving to a new country and city is an exciting venture. It is important that you prepare for your travel and arrival day ahead of time. Here are some tips to help everything go smoothly.

First-night Accomodation and Transportation Service

You can apply for subsidized first night accommodation through ISSAC. The cost of housing for your first night through this program will be $50. You can also use this same form to apply for free transportation from the airport to your accommodation in Saskatoon on the day of your arrival. To apply for this service, log in below using your NSID and password. Note: Only degree-seeking and incoming exchange students are eligible to apply. 

Accommodation and Housing

  • Find Accommodation and Housing: It is the responsibility of each student to arrange their own accommodation. Apply for housing before you leave your home country so you know where you will be living in Saskatoon. We have a guide to on-campus and off-campus housing available online.

  • Short-term Accommodation: If you would like to find short-term housing close to the university, there are several smaller hotels located on College Drive, which is across the street from the USask campus. You may inquire if the hotel you are interested in offers student rates and ask for your room to be guaranteed for late arrival in case of any flight delays. Depending on your preferences, you may also consider other hotels and housing options in the city.

Residence move-in

  • Early or Late Arrival: If you are looking for Early or Late Arrival, please fill out the required form from Residence Services Office, who will inform you later if they are able to accommodate your request. Questions in this respect can be directed to

  • Express move- in process: You will be able to use the express pick-up line on the move-in day if you apply for your student ID through PAWS. Resident Student ID cards will be sent to the Residence Services Office allowing you to obtain a move-in package in an expedited manner on the Move-in Day. Please note that you must be registered in at least one class before you can apply for your ID card. To apply for your ID card, click here.

  • Moving into Residence: Please visit Residence Move-in information and arrange your hotel and travel accordingly. 

  • Residence payment plans: You may be able to apply for a monthly payment plan from Residence Services office by submitting a Residence payment plan form. Residence payment plan related inquires can be directed to

Travel and Flights to Canada

  • Preparation: Before you start traveling, pack all valuables such as your passport, important immigration documents and money in your carry-on luggage and keep them safe at all times. You may also want to pack a spare set of clothes, a toothbrush etc. in your carry-on luggage. 

  • Arriving late at night: Check the estimated arrival time for your flight in Saskatoon. If you are arriving later in the evening, please note that you may not be able to move into Residence or obtain your apartment keys on the day of your arrival. In this case, it is important that you have confirmed short-term accommodation for your first night in the city. If your flights are delayed or you are scheduled to arrive late at night, consider taking a taxi to your short-term accommodation. Please note that bus service from the Saskatoon airport is limited between midnight and 6 am.

  • Lost luggage: If your luggage doesn't arrive on the same flight as you did, don't worry. Get in touch with the appropriate airline at the Saskatoon airport to report your lost luggage and give them your address for the first couple of days. If you are unsure of your address, you can also provide them with ISSAC's address on campus. It is Room 80, Lower Place Riel, 1 Campus Drive, University of Saskatchewan. If you have provided ISSAC's address to an airline, please email us at or stop by our office the following day.

  • Jet lag: Upon your arrival, you may feel jetlagged and tired so give yourself some time to rest and relax. Stay hydrated while you travel.

Port of Entry

When you arrive at the port of entry, a Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) agent will speak to you. They must be satisfied that all admissibility requirements have been met before issuing you your study permit and allowing you to enter Canada. 

Be prepared to answer any questions calmly and honestly and have the following documents with you:

In addition, please make sure to review the Arrival guide by the Government of Canada to get an idea of what to expect at the Canadian border. 

Emergency Assistance

If you need urgent assistance upon your arrival in Canada and are unsure how to get help, please contact USask Protective Service at 306-966-5555. Be prepared to provide your name, describe your emergency and provide a contact number or email where you can be reached. A staff member from ISSAC will contact you to discuss your situation in more detail.

Essential information for settlement