Global Connections is a community at the University of Saskatchewan (USask) comprised of globally-minded student associations and people that seek to:
- Create a space for cultural exchange and celebration
- Provide a community and welcoming environment for all new students
- Bring attention to global issues and engage with them on a local level
Join Global Connections
There are many unique cultural and global-minded student asociations at the University of Saskatchewan. They are always looking for new members to take part in their programming, or take on leadership roles within their executives.
What Global Connections student associations do:
- Host cultural and social events at USask
- Welcome new international students through peer and other social supports
- Host Global Village in March of every year academic year
- Much more!
Benefits of joining a Global Connections student association includes:
- Create friendships and community at USask
- Build confidence and gain interpersonal skills by taking on leadership roles in student associations
- Enrich your student experience by engaging with the diverse student body at USask
- Develop intercultural competence by experiencing the world right here on the USask campus
List of Members
AIESEC is a global platform for young people to explore and develop their leadership potential. They are a non-political, independent, not-for-profit organisation run by students and recent graduates of institutions of higher education including the local chapter at the University of Saskatchewan. Its members are interested in world issues, leadership and management. AIESEC does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion or national/social origin.
- Website: https://aiesec.org/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brazilian Students' Association (BRASA)
The Brazilian Students Association (BRASA) was created to make it easier for Brazilians to find each other in the university, so that we could offer some support, and to share Brazilian culture and customs with others at USask!
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/brasauofs
- Email: email@example.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/brasauofs/
Bangladeshi Students’ Association at the University of Saskatchewan (BSAUS)
Bangladeshi Students’ Association at the University of Saskatchewan (BSAUS) is a GSA ratified student association founded by the international students from Bangladesh at the University of Saskatchewan. The association not only organizes colorful events and cheering activities to represent Bangladeshi culture and heritage at USask but also provides a place of comfort for hundreds of students who are thousands of miles apart from their home.
BSAUS started its journey in December 2011 and has been ratified by GSA since March 2012. At present, there are 340 members including an executive committee of seven. The executives are elected by the members of BSAUS for a period of one year. At BSAUS, while all the members hold equal rights and privilege, the executives are responsible for the leadership.
The mandate of BSAUS is
- To provide a common platform for all Bangladeshi students at the USask.
- To represent Bangladesh, Bangladeshi culture, and heritage at the USask and Saskatchewan.
- To assist Bangladeshi students to achieve financial aid and other services offered by the USask.
- To facilitate the new students with necessary help upon their arrival at the University and assist them to settle in the new place.
- To organize different social events throughout the year for improving the bonding among the Bangladeshi students and community.
Confucius Institute Student Club (CI)
The Confucius Institute Student Club is a group aimed towards the promotion of Chinese language and culture within the University of Saskatchewan and greater Saskatoon community. To achieve this goal, our club organizes events such as Chinese movie nights, Chinese traditional dance performances, Chinese New Year activities, and more. We hope to share the beauty of Chinese culture with as many people as possible and to foster a sense of connection and understanding between students of people of different backgrounds.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/confuciusinstitute.usask.ca/
- Website: https://confuciusinstitute.usask.ca/index.php
Filipino Students' Association (FSA)
Filipino Students' Association (FSA) is an organization under the University of Saskatchewan, created in 2012. Our organization was first created by our founding members in support of the victims of Typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines. FSA's sense of purpose has definitely grown over the years, but our mission to further expand and promote the Filipino culture across the University of Saskatchewan still remains constant up to this day.
The FSA works to build connections between students at the University of Saskatchewan and provide community support for all students. We act as a bridge to help develop relationships between international and domestic students, as well as advocating on behalf of Filipino and all other students to the USSU. Ultimately, our goal is to represent Filipino students at the University of Saskatchewan and continually further the development of an inclusive, engaged, and internationalized campus community. The FSA is a fully inclusive association open to all interested U of S students.
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/uofs_fsa/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/UofS.FSA
- Email: email@example.com
Global K-Culture Club (GKCC)
The Global K-Culture Club is focused on sharing and experiencing various aspects of Korean culture. We encourage cross-cultural communication, appreciation and understanding while celebrating the unique characteristics of Korean traditions and modern trends.
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gkcc.yxe/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gkcc.yxe
India Students' Association (ISA)
The ISA endeavors to foster a community feeling by providing networks of social and cultural support systems to its student members. ISA provides new students with resources that enable them to adapt smoothly to the changes ushered in one’s life in Canada. Members are made to feel at home by participating in various information sessions, cultural and recreational activities. Interactions foster cross-cultural friendships and unity.
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/isauofs/
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/isausask
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Students' Association (INSA)
INSA will advocate for the needs of the International Student community and create a culture of interaction and cross-cultural awareness between the student body and student groups.
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/B8UaEV3Hgmi/
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/InsaUofS/
- Email: email@example.com
Iranian Students' Council (ISC)
Iranian Students’ Council (ISC) at the University of Saskatchewan is a GSA ratified student association founded by the international students with Iranian background at the University of Saskatchewan. The association's goal is hosting and organizing a variety of cultural and non-cultural events, creating greater public awareness about the Iranian culture, and providing a place of comfort for hundreds of students to settle in a new environment and get accustomed to a new home without losing their roots.
The ISC has been ratified by GSA since 2019. There are currently more than 150 members including an executive committee consisting of five undergraduate and graduate students who were elected by their peers to represent them on the Iranian Student Council for the 2020/2021 academic year. At ISC, while all the members hold equal rights and privilege, the executives are responsible for the leadership.
The mandate of ISC is:
- To provide a common platform for all Iranian students at USask.
- To represent Iran, Iranian culture and heritage at USask and Saskatchewan.
- To assist Iranian students to achieve financial aid and other services offered by USask.
- To provide wellbeing support and guidance for Iranian students to help them with personal, emotional, social and relationship difficulties.
- To facilitate the new students with necessary help upon their arrival and assist them to settle in the new place.
- To organize different social events throughout the year for improving the bonding among Iranian students and community.
World University Service of Canada (WUSC)
Global Village is a one-day intercultural event which celebrates cultural diversity at the University of Saskatchewan. Each year over 20+ student associations come together to host an event with food, performances and much more.
The event is possible due to the generous sponsorship from the Nasser Family Fund to Cultural Awareness and Appreciation.
Promote your event
Global Connections Newsletter
On Thursday of every week, the International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) sends the Global Connections Newsletter to all international students at the University of Saskatchewan.
The Global Connections Newsletter is a great place to promote your international or cultural event whether the event is on campus or in the greater Saskatoon community.
All submissions must be intended for an international audience at the University of Saskatchewan.
If you want to get involved or learn more, contact the International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC).