What's exciting about Canvas?
Canvas has an intuitive design and a fully featured mobile app, along with easy ways to set notifications, stay organized, submit assignments and view grades – all the things USask students said they wanted in a new LMS. In Canvas you can easily:
How do I get started?
To learn more about the features available in Canvas, watch the following video:
Where do I get help?
Canvas support is available 24/7 via the Help menu in the Global Navigation Menu accessed from any page in your Canvas class. Chat Live with a Canvas representative or call 1-855-382-5556.
The Canvas Student Guide is a great resource where you can find instructions as you learn to navigate Canvas.
Canvas support has been experiencing increased wait times across North America that will likely continue throughout September. Consider using Canvas support outside of 10 am - 3 pm to avoid peak wait times, or use one of the other support options.
Other support options
- Use the Self-help Portal to make it easier to find a video, article or other support. Go to Canvas, click the Help icon (far left of the screen) to access the Self-help Portal. You can search your question under "Canvas," get in touch with us for USask-related issues under "My School" or find direct Canvas supports and estimated wait times via the Chat bubble.
- Ask questions in the Canvas community.
- See our Frequently asked questions.
- Search the Canvas Student FAQs or submit a request to IT Support Services if you are experiencing technical difficulties.
- Contact your instructor for class specific questions.
Canvas student blog
As USask students begin an unprecedented academic year from remote locations across the globe, the University of Saskatchewan is transitioning to a new learning management system ...
Frequently asked questions
- You will not be able to see your Canvas class before your instructor publishes it.
- In all classes, you have the ability to use the "star" feature and identify classes that you will likely use more frequently. Then, once you have identified these classes you will only see them on your "Dashboard" rather than an ever-growing list of all classes you will likely take in Canvas.
- Your instructor may be using Blackboard or another learning management system.
Chrome is the recommended browser. Firefox and Safari can also be used but don't function quite as well. If you prefer to use another browser, make sure it is updated to the most recent version. See Canvas documentation on supported browsers and computer requirements or the USask recommended technology requirements for more information.
If you are unable to update your browser to meet the current specifications, please contact IT Support Services at email@example.com or at 1-306-966-2222 or 1-800-966-4817. Alternatively, submit an online ticket to get assistance.
Let your instructor know that your internet access is limited.
Try trouble shooting using hot spots, using internet during non-peak hours, finding links to any programs improving internet access to rural or remote communities, or using community centres or public libraries.
Research to find out if improved internet is now available in your region. Some qualifying low-income households may also be eligible for subsidized internet. Visit the Connecting Families site for more detail.
- Canvas support is available 24/7 via the Help menu in the Global Navigation Menu accessed from any page in your Canvas class. Chat Live with a Canvas representative or call 1-855-382-5556.
- Ask questions in the Canvas community.
- Search the knowledge base at itsupport.usask.ca or submit a request to IT Support Services if you are experiencing technical difficulties.
Your new Canvas account has a default setting for notifications. To change how often you receive notifications, click on "Account" in the left-hand side bar, and then "Notifications" to choose your notification preferences. Changing these preferences will apply to all your Canvas classes. See more about setting your notifications here.
You may be able to retake the quiz. However, additional attempts for assessments in Canvas might need approval by your instructor. Please contact your instructor to explain what happened and to discuss your options.
Protecting student privacy is a top priority at USask.
The Canvas Learning Management System gathers data about student usage and interaction in the online platform. The full extent of data gathered by the system is outlined in the following document authored by the software company, Instructure, which makes Canvas.
As a part of a Learning Tools Interoperability (LTI) integration, some data may be shared with certain providers of third-party educational tools so that those tools can be used in Canvas classes. Anonymized data may be used in educational research or for other purposes (e.g., Google Analytics) aimed at enhancing the learning experience.
Canvas users who require access outside of Canada should understand that users will have a mixed experience as Instructure (Canvas) can't control certain factors that affect connectivity. There are common tools that Canvas users outside of Canada may have blocked within Canvas and this could affect the user experience depending on how USask classes are being built and leveraged within Canvas.
If you have issues, please contact Canvas help when logged into canvas.usask.ca via the Help menu. You can make a phone call, start a live chat, or report a problem. Also, let your instructor know if you are having difficulties accessing Canvas.