About co-op work permits

If you are enrolled in a program in which work experience is an integral part of your studies, you may participate in a co-op or internship program.  You are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term in a co-op program.  For the entire length of your co-op work term you must have a valid study permit and co-op work permit.  As such, you may need to apply for both a study permit renewal and a co-op work permit.


It is your responsibility to make sure you are eligible to apply for a co-op work permit. Please check the eligibility criteria by IRCC.

Remember: If you are going to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you did not receive a SIN at the port of entry, you must apply at Service Canada.


Applying for a co-op work permit

It is advisable to apply for your co-op work permit as soon as you receive a letter from your department or college stating that your intended employment is required for all students in your program to get their degree. You can apply for a co-op work permit either online or by paper.

Tip: After you get your co-op work permit make a copy of it and store the original safely.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by an immigration lawyer in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to www.cic.gc.ca for the most up-to-date information, or contact ISSAC.

Getting help

Use the International Student Guide to learn about life as an international student at the U of S including immigration matters and information on working and living in Canada.

International Student Guide

If you can't find what you need in the International Student Guide contact The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC). We are here to help! Drop-in advising is available.