Keeping your study permit valid

 According to IRCC, you are required to extend your study permit before it expires. Also, you are required to remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your program. According to IRCC, failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada. Please come to ISSAC for assistance if you are facing difficulties and need to take a leave from you studies. We are here to help!

Extending your study permit

Every study permit has an expiration date and it is your responsibility to keep track of this information and extend your study permit before it expires.

If your studies require you to remain in Canada beyond the expiry date of your study permit, you must extend your study permit before it expires. According to IRCC, you must submit an application to extend your study permit at least 30 days before it expires.

Completing your program

Your study permit will become invalid 90 days after you have completed your study program. If you switch to a shorter-term program or finish your studies early, your study permit will expire 90 days after your study program has been completed. Your program is considered complete when you receive written notification of program completion (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from your institution or once you obtain your degree, diploma or certificate. This does not apply to you if your study permit application was received before June 1, 2014, or if you were issued a study permit before June 1, 2014.

The University of Saskatchewan is required to report to IRCC on your continued enrolment and academic status. If you have any questions/concerns about this, please check out the Reporting Enrolment Status and come to ISSAC to speak with an International Education Officer

Applying to extend your study permit

You must apply from within Canada, either:

  1.  Online
  2. OR by Paper: send the application to the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta 

The application form you should us is the Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM 5709]

Cost: $150.00 Canadian 
 Processing time: You can check processing times online

When to apply

IRCC recommends at least 30 days before your current study permit expires. To avoid delays and plan ahead of time, you can apply to extend your study permit 3 to 4 months before your current study permit expires.

Required documents

You will need the following general supporting documents:

  1. Confirmation of Enrolment from the University of Saskatchewan

  2. Proof of Means of Financial Support
    You must prove you have enough money (in Canadian funds) to support yourself and your dependents (if applicable) while you study in Canada. Find out what documents you can use to prove you have the minimum amount of money that you will need.

  3. Copy of your passport
    You must include the bio-date page with your picture, plus all other pages with stamps, visas and/or markings. 

  4. Passport-style photo

Additional documents may be required and can vary depending on whether you apply online or on paper. Therefore, be sure to always carefully read the application instructions.

If application is refused

If you are currently inside Canada, have applied to extend your study permit and your application has been refused, please come to ISSAC immediately to speak with one of our International Education Officers. We are always ready to help!

If study permit expires

You must come to ISSAC immediately – we are here to help!

Implied status

If IRCC receives your application BEFORE your current study permit expires, you will have an «implied status». Under the «implied status», you may continue studying under the same conditions pending a determination of you application for renewal only as long as you remain in Canada.

Loss of status

If you did not submit an application to extend your study permit and your current study permit expires, then you have lost your status of a student. You must stop studying and working immediately.  Don’t panic as you will have 90 days from the day you lost your status to apply for the restoration of your status

This is a lengthy and frustrating process that will disrupt your studies. There are no guarantees that your application for restoration will be approved. You need to pay $150 for a new study permit as well as $200 for a restoration fee. 

It is not advisable to leave Canada while an immigration document extension is being processed and your current document will expire while you are abroad. If you think you will be facing this situation, please consult the IRCC website and come to ISSAC to speak with an International Education Officer. Learn more on Travelling outside of Canada.

After renewing study permit

Remember to do the following after you renew your study permit:

  • Make a copy of it and store the original in a safe place
  • Renew your Saskatchewan Health Coverage
  • Renew your Social Insurance Number (SIN), if applicable
  • Apply for a new Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada, if your country of citizenship requires one
  • Renew your Driver’s License, if applicable 

Taking a leave from studies

If you need to take a leave from your studies because you are Required To Discontinue (RTD) from your program, or because of a personal, medical, financial or any other reason, please come talk to ISSAC to discuss the immigration implications and review this quidance to learn about the supports and resources you may need.

Completing the application

Common questions when completing the application

When you apply to extend your study permit, you can ALSO:

  • apply for/extend a co-op work permit (if eligible or applicable)
  • apply for/extend documents of your dependents (e.g. a spouse/partner’s work permit or a child’s visitor record or study permit)

 What is a UCI? 
It stands for a «unique client identifier» as well known as «client ID». It appears on all official documents from IRCC. It has four numbers, a hyphen and four numbers, example: 0000-0000. 

 What is a document number? 
It appears on all official IRCC documents. It is usually printed in black ink as one letter followed by 9 numbers. 

 How to answer «Duration of expected studies» question? 
Write «from» the day of completing the application and «to» up to 90 days after your anticipated completion date. You may stay in Canada for 90 days beyond the completion of your studies IF you have a valid study permit. This time period is called a “bridge extension”.

 How to fill out the «employment» section? 
If you do not have a job, you can write «student». 

 How to sign the form when applying online? 
It is not possible to sign the form if applying online, so upload the form without signing. After uploading all your documents, you will later be asked to electronically sign your application by typing your name.

 Is it needed to upload the proof of a medical exam? 
In general, most students in Canada do not need proof of a medical exam unless (1) they lived in certain countries for more than 6 months in the past 12 months, or (2) they wanted to work in certain health-related occupations. Read more

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by an immigration lawyer in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to for the most up-to-date information, or contact ISSAC.

Getting help

Use the International Student Guide to learn about life as an international student at the U of S including immigration matters and information on working and living in Canada.

International Student Guide

If you can't find what you need in the International Student Guide contact The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC). We are here to help! Drop-in advising is available.