Required immigration documents for your accompanying family

It may be possible for family members to come live in Canada with you during your studies. In this case family members include a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children. They will need the following immigration documents:

  1. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
  2. Visitor Record 
  3. Work permit for your spouse or your common-law partner (if applicable)
  4. Study permit for your children (if applicable)

In addition they should have the suggested supporting documents

It is you and your family members’ responsibility to have the required immigration documentation valid at all times and to extend this documentation before it expires. Each family member will need to have his or her own valid documentation to stay in Canada.

1. Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Depending on the country of citizenship, your family members might require applying for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada.


If you wish your family members to accompany you during your studies in Canada, they can apply for their TRV or eTA at the same time as you OR join you in Canada after you have arrived.

For many immigration documents, IRCC provides an option to fill out one application for the entire family, so keep this in mind when applying for or extending your own and your family members’ immigration documents.

If your family members will join in Canada after you have arrived  you will need to support their Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) application by writing a letter of invitation and providing suggested supporting documents listed below.

Port of entry

TIP: Make sure they are authorized to stay in Canada as visitors for the length of your study permit by providing them with the copies of your study permit, temporary resident visa (if applicable) and passport to present to the Canada Border Service Agency officer at the port of entry.

Upon arrival, an officer will stamp your family members' passports. Most of the time, an officer will write the date until which your family members are authorized to stay in Canada as visitors. If there is no handwritten date below the stamp, by default, their temporary resident status of a visitor will expire six months from the day they arrived in Canada and they will need to extend it before it expires to obtain a Visitor Record (see below).

2. Visitor Record

It is important to keep track of your family members’ temporary resident status and extend it before it expires. The application form is titled Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder [IMM5708]. After your family members apply to extend their temporary resident status, IRCC will issue you a document called Visitor Record.

To find out when their temporary resident status expires, look for the Canadian entry stamp in their passport. 

3. Work permit for your spouse or your common-law partner

If you are a full-time international student at the University of Saskatchewan and you have a valid study permit, your spouse or your common-law partner may apply for an open work permit.

4. Study permit for your children

A minor child (under the age of 18 in Saskatchewan) who is already in Canada accompanying at least one parent who is authorized to study or work in Canada may study in Canada without a study permit at the pre-school, primary and secondary levels.

A minor child (under the age of 18 in Saskatchewan) whose parent is not authorized to work or study in Canada (for example, their parent is authorized as a visitor), must apply for a study permit from their country of last permanent residence and is not allowed to study in Canada without a valid study permit.

To find out more about the study permit for your child and how to apply if needed, please check the IRCC website and the guidelines for minor children page. 

  • Learn more about the Saskatchewan system of education, pre-school, primary and secondary schools
  • Learn more about the education and learning supports available to newcomer families
  • Get in touch with the Newcomer Information Centre or visit them upon your arrival for additional support and resources on how to successfully settle your family in Saskatoon

Inviting friends or family to visit

Required documentation

Depending on which country or territory you family member or friend is from they will need to either apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) in order to come to Canada temporarily to visit you.

Your family member or your friend will need to contact their nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC) to enquire on the entry to Canada requirements and application process. Every VAC has specific requirements and the most up to date information.

Supporting documents

If your family member or your friend needs to obtain a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), you should send them the suggested supporting documents listed below that they need to submit in their TRV application.

If you have any questions about inviting your family member or your friend or if they are experiencing difficulties in obtaining their TRV, please come to ISSAC for more assistance.

  • Letter of invitation: Write the letter yourself either by consulting this IRCC guide or ISSAC template. Please note that some Visa Application Centers (VAC) require the letter to be notarized by a Notary Public so your family member or your friend should check this information with their visa office. ISSAC can refer you to community resources in regards to this matter, so please stop by our office or contact us for more information.

  • Copy of your passport

  • Copy of your marriage certificate (if inviting your spouse)

  • Copy of your children’s birth certificate proving their connection to you (if applicable)

  • Proof of available funds (if you will be paying for your family member’s or your friend’s visit)

  • A Confirmation of Enrolment from the University of Saskatchewan

  • Copy of your study permit: Your study permit should be valid for the length of your family member’s or your friend’s stay in Canada.

In addition, when your family member or your friend are applying for their Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) they must satisfy the visa officer that they will leave Canada after their visit by providing proof of strong economic and social ties to their home country

  • Examples of economic ties can include: a letter of employment, a proof property or business ownership, bank statements, financial investments, etc.

  • Examples of social ties can include: family members left behind who depend on them for financial and other support, proof that they must return home to meet their social obligations to their community and family, etc. 

Health plans

Family members who are planning on living with you in Canada must apply for a Saskachewan Health Card. In addition, learn more about buying extended family coverage with your Student Health and Dental Plan.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by an immigration lawyer in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to for the most up-to-date information, or contact ISSAC.

Getting help

Use the International Student Guide to learn about life as an international student at the U of S including immigration matters and information on working and living in Canada.

International Student Guide

If you can't find what you need in the International Student Guide contact The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC). We are here to help! Drop-in advising is available.