About working on campus

By working on campus, you will expend your social and professional networks and enhance your learning through working in an academic setting. You will meet mentors and set foundations for successful integration into the Canadian labour market.

What is considered “on-campus” work

“On-campus” is defined as employment facilities within the boundaries of the campus.

  • The students are only allowed to work on the campus of the educational institution at which they are registered in full-time studies.
  • If an institution has more than one campus, the student can work at different locations on those campuses provided they are within the same municipality.
  • If an institution has campuses in different cities, the student is restricted to working on the institution's campus where they are registered as a full-time student.
  • Students may work on campus as teaching or research assistants and may be located at a library, hospital, or research facility affiliated with the institution but located outside the physical boundaries of the institution's campus. This is allowed provided that the work is strictly related to the student's research grant.

Who your employer can be

The employer can be any of the following:

  • the institution,
  • a faculty,
  • a student organization,
  • the students themselves (self-employment taking place on campus: e.g. private tutors),
  • a private business,
  • a private contractor providing services to the institution on the campus.

On-campus employers include those whose businesses serve the general public, as long as the place of business is located on the institution's campus. 

Hours per week

IRCC does not limit the number of hours students are permitted to work on campus.


You may work on campus without a work permit if you have a valid study permit and are registered as a full-time student. Learn more about the eligibility criteria.

Implied status: If IRCC receives your renewal application before your current study permit expires, you have implied status. Implied status ends when a decision is reached on your study permit application. Implied status exists only so long as you remain in Canada.

Working while on implied status: With implied status, you continue to enjoy the benefits associated with your previous study permit as though you still hold it. This includes the authorization to work under the same conditions of your previous study permit.

It continues to be very important that you monitor the expiry date of your study permit and apply for a study permit extension well in advance of the expiry date.


If you are going to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) at Service Canada.

What is considered "full-time" at the U of S

Full-time undergraduate students are registered in 9 or more credit [DB1] units per fall term 1 (September to December) and winter term 2 (January to April) semesters. Graduate students must be registered in at least 6 or more credit units per term. For more information about graduate student registration requirements, please contact your respective academic unit.


The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by an immigration lawyer in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to www.cic.gc.ca for the most up-to-date information, or contact ISSAC.

Getting help

Use the International Student Guide to learn about life as an international student at the U of S including immigration matters and information on working and living in Canada.

International Student Guide

If you can't find what you need in the International Student Guide contact The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC). We are here to help! Drop-in advising is available.