As an international student, you may be eligible to work in Canada while studying and after you graduate. You will need to follow certain regulations and may be required to apply for a work permit.

Canadian work experience can help you prepare for and make decisions about your career, connect you with your local community and industries, introduce you to the Canadian workplace culture and provide you with extra money. 

Work while you study

 As a full-time international student, you may simultaneously work on and off campus if you meet the criteria for each. 

On-campus work

You may work on campus without a work permit if you have a valid study permit and are registered as a full-time student. However, there are certain requirements you must meet.

Working off campus

As of June 1, 2014, you may be eligible to work off campus without a work permit if you meet the eligibility requirements to work off campus. 

Co-ops and internships

You must apply for a co-op work permit as well as a study permit.

Post-graduation work permit

After successfully completing a degree, a certificate or a diploma at the U of S you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit that allows you to receive Canadian work experience for a period up to three years. This is an open work permit which will alllow you to work for any employer.

Spouse and partner work permit

If you are a full-time international student at the University of Saskatchewan and you have a valid study permit, your spouse or your common-law partner may apply for an open work permit. The permit will usually expire the same date as the student’s study permit. It can be extended with the student's study permit.

Social Insurance Number

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a government issued number that is legally required for all work in Canada and is issued for employment purposes only. If you are going to work in Canada, you will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN). If you did not receive a SIN at the port of entry, you must apply at Service Canada.

Volunteer Work

Before you or your spouse/common-law partner engage in volunteer activities, it is your responsibility to review the meaning of work as per Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This is because some volunteer work may be considered a type of work for which you are required to have a work permit. Therefore, it is your responsibility to always check and follow the regulations when planning to work as a volunteer.

Finding work

Learn about the Canadian workplace and get information about searching for a job.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed and endorsed by an immigration lawyer in compliance with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Always refer to for the most up-to-date information, or contact ISSAC.

Getting help

Use the International Student Guide to learn about life as an international student at the U of S including immigration matters and information on working and living in Canada.

International Student Guide

If you can't find what you need in the International Student Guide contact The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC). We are here to help! Drop-in advising is available.