Job Search Tips
An effective job search is an important tool in building a successful career.
Work on Campus
A great opportunity to become involved in your campus community.
Working in Canada
If you are new to Canada it is important to understand the Canadian job search.
Co-ops and Internships
A number of colleges at the University of Saskatchewan offer practical learning experiences for students. These experiences may be optional or required, for-credit or non-credit, and can vary in length and commitment.
Arts and Science
- Computer Science Professional Internship Program
- Economics Internship Program
- Environment & Society – Co-operative Education Program
- Environmental Earth Sciences – Co-operative Education
- Interactive Systems Design Professional Internship Program
- International Studies
- Physics Professional Internship Option
- Political Studies Internships & Exchanges
- Regional and Urban Planning Practicum
- Toxicology Undergraduate Research Experience Program (TUREP)
Emmanuel and St. Chad
Edwards School of Business
Pharmacy and Nutrition
St. Thomas More
A number of organizations coordinate experiential learning opportunities such as internships, exchanges and leaderhip programs all over the world and in a range of industries. If you are interested in interning with a certain employer, be sure to check out the careers/opportunities section of their website as many have internship experiences.
- AFS Canada
- BEA Institute
- CANADEM's International Field Experience Program
- Canada World Youth
- Canadian Roots
- Career Edge
- Exchanges Canada
- Global Vision
- Rooftops Canada
- Rotary Youth Exchanges
- Saskatchewan Gradworks
- The Chopras
- Volunteering Solutions
- Youth Unlimited
- Youth With A Mission
Please note, the University of Saskatchewan is not affiliated with any of the organizations noted above and offers this list simply to provide other options for students to explore, not as an endorsement. Programs vary considerably so be sure to research each thoroughly and inquire about such details as application fees, location, stipends/honorariums, requirements, accommodations, flights, health insurance, work visas, contract lengths, etc.
Volunteering and Go Abroad
Volunteering and community involvement are rewarding ways to experience different career options, gain valuable work experience, and create contacts. Employers like to see candidates that are well-rounded and take initiative to participate in their community. Hundreds of volunteer opportunities can be found if you search CareerLink or look through additional volunteer sites.
Volunteer, work or study in another country - the list of countries is long and time commitments vary so you can completely customize your experience!
- Choose from dozens of countries
- Most classes are offered in English
- Travel alone, with a friend, or in a group
- A variety of scholarships and awards are available
Career Fairs and Networking
Network with employers
IndustryTalks bring representatives from various industries of Saskatchewan’s and Canada's economy on campus to talk to students about their industry, career opportunities, the realities of working in that industry, how best to conduct your job search and much more.
Employers host information sessions prior to application deadlines to talk to targeted audiences about their organization and what employment opportunities they have to offer.
Career Information Interviews
Create your own networking opportunities! Career Information Interviews are short conversations you initiate with people in the field(s) you are interested in to learn more about their role, career paths, the industry, etc.
Careers Fairs offer an excellent opportunity to:
- Market yourself to some of Canada’s top employers
- Meet with a variety of career professionals
- Develop your networking skills
- Gain a better understanding of career opportunities
- Discover employment opportunities available to you
Campus Career Expo
The largest career fair on campus and open to all students. Polish that resume, dress your best, and meet over 130 of Canada's top employers.
Events and career tips
Job Search and Career Planning Tips