International Student Welcome

Come to ISSAC Welcome and meet new friends from countries around the world! Get to know the ISSAC and learn about services for international students at the U of S!



Information on study permits, temporary resident visas and recidency.

Exchange students

Information particular to inbound exchange students.


International Student and Study Abroad Centre

ISSAC is dedicated to fostering a welcoming, globally aware and engaged campus community.

Global Connections Lounge

A place where you can relax with friends, enjoy your lunch, study or get involved.

Services for International Students

Upon arrival in Saskatoon, ISSAC can provide transportation to international students who are beginning their studies at the University of Saskatchewan. A taxi will take you from the airport, train station or bus depot to your pre-arranged accommodation.

When you arrive in Saskatoon you may not be able to move into your pre-arranged accommodation or you may need a temporary accommodation your first night in the city. This free hotel stay is offered to international students who are beginning their studies at the University of Saskatchewan. Please make your request early as there is a limited number of rooms available.

To access either of these services please submit the online request form 2 weeks prior to your arrival in Saskatoon.

Working in Canada

New rules for prospective international students are now in effect (as of June 1, 2014). Read about these changes and how they may impact you.

On Campus

To find out if you are eligible for working on campus, please visit CIC website.

Getting Paid While Waiting for your Study Permit to be Renewed

In order to continue getting paid while waiting for a response from CIC regarding an extension of your Study Permit, you may provide one of the following documents to your on-campus employer:

  • for paper based applications:  a copy of your postage receipt, or
  • for online applications:  a copy of your “Welcome to MYCIC” homepage indicating the transmission of an “In-Canada Temporary Resident” application.

Please present your new study permit to your on-campus employer once you receive it. 

Co-ops and Internships

To find out if you are eligible for the co-op work permit, please visit CIC website.

Off Campus

As of June 1, 2014, you may be eligible to work off campus without a work permit if you meet the eligibility requirements to work off campus. If you are qualify to work off campus without a work permit, your study permit will allow you to work 

  • up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and
  • full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

You do not need a work permit to work off-campus, but you will need a Social Insurance Number (See SIN section below).

After Completing a Degree

After successfully completing a degree, a certificate or a diploma in Canada you may be eligible to apply for a post-graduate work permit that allows you to receive Canadian work experience for a period up to three years. This is an open work permit which will alllow you to work for any employer.

To find out your eligibility to work after graduation, please visit CIC website

You must apply for a work permit within 90 days of receiving written confirmation (for example, a transcript or an official letter) from university indicating that you have met the requirements for completing your academic program. You must have a valid study permit when you apply for the work permit.

Spouse and Partner Work Permit

Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of study permit holders can apply for a work permit after they arrive in Canada. The spouse/partner does not need a job offer to apply for a work permit. The permit will usually expire the same date as the student’s study permit. It can be extended with the student's study permit.

Social Insurance Number

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a government issued number that is legally required for all work in Canada and is issued for employment purposes only

How to Apply for a SIN

You must provide one of the following primary documents to Service Canada :                          

  • Work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), or 
  • Study permit issued by CIC. A study permit is acceptable only when it indicates that the permit holder "may accept employment" or "may work" in Canada.

If neither of these statements is on the study permit, the international student will need to contact CIC to obtain an official “confirmation to work” letter. To apply for a SIN, an international student must present both documents (study permit and official “confirmation to work” letter). In order to apply for a "Confirmation to Work" document from CIC, you will need a University of Saskatchewan Confirmation of Enrolment Letter.

Here is how you can get a Confirmation of Enrolment letter from the University of Saskatchewan that has all the necessary information for you to apply for a “Confirmation to Work” document from CIC:

For Undergraduate Students:

To request a Confirmation of Enrolment letter:

  • Log into 
  • Click on Confirmation of Enrolment
  • Select the terms that you need confirmation for
  • Select the option to include your date of birth

For Graduate Students:

  • You will need to request this letter from the Graduate Secretary/Administrator in your home academic unit.
  • The guidelines to follow for this letter.
SIN Renewals

SINs have expiry dates which coincide with the expiry date of your study or work permit. Be sure to renew your SIN once you update the immigration document.

Implied Status for a SIN -  Administrative delay after requesting renewal of study or work permits

Service Canada grants a SIN card implied status of up to eight weeks for those employees who experience an administrative delay in receiving a renewal of their study or work permits. This implied status is granted only if the permit renewal application was made prior to the expiration of the original immigration document. You should be able to keep working and receiving payments while having implied status. Visit the SIN expiry date web page for details.