International experiences can be developed and integrated into many different graduate programs. Whatever your future holds - research, education, health, business, engineering – or any of the many of fields offered, you will encounter globalization. Why not get started now?

Explore the opportunities below to determine which fits best for you.

Study Abroad

Exchange Program

A program of study whereby partner institutions establish a reciprocal agreement to allow students to study at a host partner institution with credit transferred to the home institution.

Length: Typically one or two semesters.
Cost: Students pay U of S tuition, other costs are determined on length of time, location, and in country cost of living.  
Process: Discuss course of interest with your supervisor and get departmental approval. Apply through ISSAC to a partner institution.

Taught Abroad

Three to six credit courses that are developed and/or taught by U of S faculty or university lecturers at a location outside of Canada. Classes are integrated into the department or college course offerings and students are graded by the home instructor. Typically taught abroad courses are related to a specific discipline and may involve some form of fieldwork. The courses can include pre-departure and post trip learning activities.

Length: These programs offer short-term options for students who want to take 1-2 U of S courses abroad for 2-6 weeks.
Cost: Students pay for the full program in advance to the U of S, including tuition, travel, accommodations, and activity-related fees.
Process: Enrollment within your program will determine your eligibility to participate in a taught abroad course. Apply for travel awards through ISSAC.

Visiting Student

Take a course at a foreign institution while maintaining your registration at U of S. 

Length: Varies depending on course, but typically does not exceed 6 months.
Cost: Each institution determines tuition. Tuition rates for other institutions may vary. Students maintain registration at the U of S, and pay tuition to the host institution. Other costs are determined on length of time, location, and in country cost of living.
Process: There is no partnership agreement in place between the U of S and the institution you wish to go to. You need to discuss options with your supervisor and graduate chair to assess the classes for transfer credit at the U of S, and obtain a letter of approval to attend the other institution. If you are trying to travel to a high risk location please contact ISSAC  months in advance.

Research Abroad

As a graduate student, it may be beneficial to travel to an international university to learn new techniques, or utilize tools not available at the U of S. This can be accomplished through conducting research at a partner university or through a collaboration established by your supervisor.

Research/Data Collection Visiting Student

Conduct research abroad while maintaining registration at U of S. Typically established through a collaboration held by your supervisor or another faculty member.

Length: Need based determination; it can range from 1 week to 6 months. 
Cost: Costs are dependent on length of time, location, and in country cost of living. Discuss support with your supervisor.
Process: Identify a university/organization etc. that can facilitate the  research, tool, or technique for your studies. Discuss travel with your supervisor. Obtain all necessary ethics approvals (U of S and internationally). If you are trying to travel to a high risk location  please contact ISSAC  months in advance.

Partner agreement research

Conduct research at an international university with which U of S holds a formal research agreement. 

Length: Need based determination, can vary.
Cost: Dependent on length of time, location, and in country cost of living. 
Process: View current partnership agreements and contact the International Office to discuss details. 

Field school/studies

Led by faculty and designed to provide students with a combination of theoretical learning within the classroom and practical training in relevant locations. Field schools strive to provide experiential learning where the students learn by doing and conducting research out in the respective community/field. Students receive academic credit.

Length: Can vary from 5 days to eight weeks.
Cost: Vary depending on program. Typically, in addition to your regular term tuition, they include a program fee, airfare/other transportation, insurance and other personal expenses. Accommodation, most meals and on-site transportation are generally covered by the program fee and/or hosting institution.
Process: Field schools may be dependent upon your enrollment in a specific program. The first step is to talk to your supeprvisor and graduate chair.

Internships and Practical Training

Industry/practicum based experiences

Experiential learning in a professional practice, often in the field of health sciences (clinical placement). Other opportunities in different fields such as Education or community-based service are also possibilities. May be a mandatory part of your degree program.

Length: Vary depending on the specific program.
Cost: Costs are dependent on length of time, location, and in country cost of living.
Process: International Practicum placements may be options in different programs that require experiential learning outside the classroom. Language requirements may be imposed. Permission from your department is required. 


Work placement abroad, usually working in a pseudo-professional capacity, where the primary motivation is educational. May be credit or non-credit, mandatory or optional.

Length: Usually several months.
Cost: May be paid or unpaid. Costs are dependent on length of time, location, and in country cost of living.
Process: University recognized work experience may be a requirement in some programs or optional in others. Discuss with your department.

Conferences Abroad

Present at a conference

Present your research findings on a global platform at an international conference related to your field of study.

Length: Typically short 3-5 day trips.
Cost: Costs are dependent on length of stay, location, and in country costs. Registration costs will vary.
Process: To present at a conference you will need to obtain research results and submit an abstract to the conference of choice. Discuss with your supervisor first. Travel awards are available through ISSAC.

Earn a Dual Degree

A dual degree is when a student pursues graduate studies at two universities, satisfying both institution’s admission and degree requirements. The student receives a degree from both universities, with a notation on the final transcript and/or parchment stating that the degree was obtained under a dual degree partnership agreement. 

Dual Degree options include:

Cotutelle Program

A Cotutelle Program is a type of individualized dual degree program, where a doctoral student is co-supervised by two supervisors, each from a different university, and the student spends time at each institution. 

Length: Typically half the degree is completed at each institution. Average time abroad for a Cotutelle PhD program is 2 years. 
Cost: You must maintain continuous registration and pay tuition to the U of S from the point of first registration, to completion of the U of S degree. The partner institution will have its own policies on the payment of tuition, but is it possible that you would be paying tuition to both universities simultaneously. 
Process: You must apply to a specific program already approved and being delivered at the partner university under a Cotutelle arrangement. Often the course work at the partner university is in English and the language of research is in English.


Is there time

There are many different ways to fit an international experience into your program without increasing the time needed to complete your degree. Each graduate program has different course requirements. Transfer credit for course work as partial completion of your degree may be an option. Talk to your faculty supervisor and/or the graduate chair. Although, international experiences may not be required for your program, they can still be beneficial for your future academic and professional career.

Location options

The possible locations will be determined by the type of experience you are seeking. Depending on your program, you may decide to travel internationally during the coursework portion of your studies, or while you are conducting research and/or writing your thesis. Alternatively, there are conferences and field school opportunities. Not all opportunities are offered in all countries.

The U of S has established many partner agreements with international universities that you may use to access international education opportunities. There are different opportunities to accomplish either option. Many of the partner universities have opportunities for graduate students to take courses or conduct research. It is also possible that none of the partner institutions will match your interests or area of research. With this in mind, it is imperative that you talk to your faculty supervisor or other faculty members within your department to see where they have colleagues or collaborations already established.

Faculty collaborations

The first step to determining where and what you should complete on your international experience should be to talk with your faculty supervisor. Your supervisor may have established connections with international partners that could be helpful in providing you with an international experience. If not, they may be able to provide you with the contact information for other faculty members within your field of study who do have international ties. Talking with your supervisor is the best way to determine the ideal location for your international experience.

Language requirements

Many international experiences offer the option of taking courses taught in English. Some international options may be used to fulfill a language requirement, in which case the opportunity would be presented in the language of study. Whether you only speak English, are multilingual or want to learn a new language, there are travel opportunities for you.

Costs and funding

Travel Costs: Airfare, in-country travel, accommodations, food, and any activity related costs.

Tuition: Graduate students must maintain continuous registration and pay tuition to the U of S from the point of first registration in their program, until degree completion. Depending on what you do at the host university, you may also be required to pay tuition and/or fees to the host university.  If you are taking courses, under the terms of an exchange agreement, the tuition normally charged by the host university may be waived.  

Funding: Providing you maintain continuous registration, and your international activity is part of your program, you should be able to continue to receive your scholarship, loans, and/or other funding. Most scholarships/loans/funding are not restricted to place of residence. However, you should confirm this in advance with your scholarship/loan/funding administrator.

Fees: Graduate students must pay U of S student fees, whether or not they are residing in Saskatoon. If you will be traveling for a longer period of time, it might be possible to pay off campus fees. Please check with the Graduate Students’ Association.

Scholarships/Grants:  There are many scholarships available to U of S students, through individual colleges and departments, ISSAC, the International Office and through government or third party agencies. 

Additionally, as a graduate student you are able to write international travel into your grant applications as well. If a particular technique, skill or research experience is required for your proposed study, including this into your grant application could help you fund your travel experience.

Immigration matters

You may need a letter of acceptance from the international university before being able to apply for necessary travel documents such as a study permit or a visa.

Passports: If you don’t have a valid passport, you should start the passport application process as soon as you know you will be visiting another country. 

Visa: Depending on your nationality and the country to which you are traveling, you may be required to have a visa. To determine if you need a visa, contact the Embassy or Consulate of your destination country. Prior to applying for a visa, you must have a valid passport and may need to have your plane ticket purchased. Costs vary for visas, depending on the country and the length of your stay.

Getting Help

International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC)

ISSAC administers the International Travel Registry and certain travel awards. Through ISSAC`s various programs and services , the centre is a place where students:

  • apply to go on exchange or to take part in summer programs
  • get travel safety support
  • can apply for travel awards

Drop-in advising


 Join the International Student and Study Abroad Centre remotely and speak to one of our International Education officers about our great selection of study-abroad opportunities. Staff at the centre can also talk to you about available funding.

Wednesday 9 am-noon
Thursday 1-4 pm

No appointment required.

International Office

The International Office coordinates and administers university-wide international activities. This resource identifies and supports international partnerships and facilitates international research. They can assist with partnership development, visits, and international research.